DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Typo's and Error's

Luckers

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The previous edition of this thread for Towers of Midnight can be found here (for reference):

When quoting make sure to mention the chapter and page number. 
Be sure to specify which edition as well.
TOR (USA & Canada) or Orbit (UK, Republic of Ireland, Australia, NZ)

An example from ToM:

Chapter 30, p.473(TOR edition), bottom of the page:
"He had visited this city only once" should be "He had visited this city only twice"

(this was example was indeed corrected for the paperback version)

I passed over a lot of iffy things, but noted down a few blatant errors. I don't think they're too spoilery, so I'll go ahead and post them. I was also half-delirious while reading a lot of the book so I'm sure I missed quite a few things. I'll try to catch them on re-read.

p163

Egwene: "Who? Moridin?" (how does she know of his existence?)

p309

"....Is it Power-forged?"
"I don't know," Rand said.
(In TGS, Min thinks "It had been Power-forged, he claimed. He seemed to know things about it he did not share.")

p610

Egwene waved a few fingers, sending the other women off, except her two shadows—Gawyn and that Seanchan woman... (Mat POV, he kind of knows Egeanin)

p772

Logain tells Gabrelle to Heal him and she argues with him. She should be compelled to do it immediately.

Chapter 3, at http://www.npr.org/2012/12/29/168075551/exclusive-first-read-a-memory-of-light-by-robert-jordan-and-brandon-sanderson

"We met with the Lord Dragon," Welyn continued." Surveying the Borderlands, preparing for humankind's assault against the Shadow. He has rallied the armies of all nations to his banner. There are none who do not support him, other than the Seanchan, of course—but they have been driven back.

The quotation mark is in the wrong place. Not sure if that problem is also in the book or not (since I haven't got an early release)

Also, something about them forming a circle in Chapter 2 just doesn't seem quite right.

p163

Egwene: "Who? Moridin?" (how does she know of his existence?)

Verin's notes?

That's a good idea. But that does make you wonder why she tried to lob a spear at "Mesaana". If she knew they could come back, killing them normally in ToM makes no sense.

Also, is it just me, or is Naeff's appearance at the BT ridiculously late? What kept him, exactly?

Some random ones:

Egwene is unable to shield Taim with Vora's wand. Taim is said to resist the shield by "strength of will". This is an obvious error, both for the shield not locking into place very fast (or at least showing us Taim was leading a circle), and because you can't resist shields by strength of will.

I'm fairly sure we've been tolding mixing the OP and TP has very unpredictable results. How did Rand manage, then? This isn't an error per se. There may well be an explanation.

The big one: Min discovers Moghedien by looking for the many viewings that she sees on channelers. But she never saw them over "Marigan" when Moggy was under cover. And I'm sure when RJ was asked, he said masking your ability also masks these viewings.

Some random ones:

The big one: Min discovers Moghedien by looking for the many viewings that she sees on channelers. But she never saw them over "Marigan" when Moggy was under cover. And I'm sure when RJ was asked, he said masking your ability also masks these viewings.

Perhaps she wasn't masking her ability, just her face? Certainly not a logical action on M's part, but it's at least a logical explanation. There were lots of channelers about, maybe she figured she would blend in.

After all, given how things ended for her, it's clear she wasn't masking then.

I'm fairly sure we've been tolding mixing the OP and TP has very unpredictable results. ...

...I'm sure when RJ was asked, he said masking your ability also masks these viewings.

Have a quote for either of those?

I'm fairly sure we've been tolding mixing the OP and TP has very unpredictable results. ...

...I'm sure when RJ was asked, he said masking your ability also masks these viewings.

Have a quote for either of those?

I misremembered with the TP:

Robert Jordan Answers:It is a matter of the Dark One consciously acting, though interactions between the One Power and him, the source of the True Power, can be unpredictable. The Dark One is not pleasant. He is also highly distrustful. He…dislikes…things that happen outside his control or not at his order. Call him the ur-control freak. Combine these two facts, and anyone channeling in the Pit of Doom without permission can expect swift punishment on the assumption that failure to ask permission means you intend to do something he won't like. It isn't that he believes anyone can harm him, just that he is in charge, and your failure to ask permission, your presumed intention to do something he wouldn't like, means that your faithfulness quotient has just suffered a severe downturn. Myself, I'd sell you short in a skinny minute.

Its interaction between the DO and the OP that is unpredictable. Which doesn't happen.

As for the viewing thing, I'm still searching. But we do have this from the books. Min met "Marigan", when Nynaeve and Elayne first come to Salidar. She saw nothing over her at all, certainly not what she'd see over a channelers. Faolain even comes to take Nicola and Ariena to be tested, and Min says nothing. That's conclusive enough for me.

It's not conclusive because Min sees viewings around non-channelers too. She also said nothing about viewings of Birgitte when she first met her in Salidar, but when she saw her again in WH she had more viewings than she'd ever seen around anyone else.

It's not conclusive because Min sees viewings around non-channelers too. She also said nothing about viewings of Birgitte when she first met her in Salidar, but when she saw her again in WH she had more viewings than she'd ever seen around anyone else.

Of course Min sees viewings around non-channelers. But she detects Moggy here by seeing that she has the constant barrage of viewings she sees around channelers. Which makes no sense, if she didn't manage it once before.

Birgette... that's interesting. I'd forgotten Min had met her before WH. 

This one was found by Herid (I can't claim any credit):

Chapter 4

p. 131 TOR Edition:

"He cannot hear what we say?"

"No," Pevara said.

This would seem to be fairly unambiguously a lie.

This one was found by Herid (I can't claim any credit):

Chapter 4

p. 131 TOR Edition:

"He cannot hear what we say?"

"No," Pevara said.

This would seem to be fairly unambiguously a lie.

I had the same thought when I read that.

ok, so this has been bothering me throughout the entire book and it's strange that none mentioned this before: Mat dies from Rahvin's channeling... with the medallion on... there is no place in the series where we have a confirmation that his medallion protects him from saidin...

Suddenly it is treated as a known fact and plays a big role in the book.

This might be the biggest plot hole so far

ok, so this has been bothering me throughout the entire book and it's strange that none mentioned this before: Mat dies from Rahvin's channeling... with the medallion on... there is no place in the series where we have a confirmation that his medallion protects him from saidin... Suddenly it is treated as a known fact and plays a big role in the book. This might be the biggest plot hole so far

Indirect channeling can still affect the wearer of the medallion.  Rahvin didn't channel lightning at Mat, he simply set the lightning in motion.

Archived