DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Typo/Errata Thread

Luckers

Hey guys, Peter Ahlstrom's requested our help finding typos. Here's how he's looking for it to be done.

Luckers, could you start a thread for typos/errata? I think it would be helpful. Here's what entries could look like:

p246 "such words that like"

p515 "for straight through"

p528 "none of the would"

(My dad found those in his read.) Basically we just need a page number and a short verbatim quote containing the error. An explanation of why it's an error can be added if it's not super obvious. (I think the UK page numbers should be the same or very close, but if you want, edition could be specified too.)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, Peter Ahlstrom's requested our help finding typos. Here's how he's looking for it to be done.

Luckers, could you start a thread for typos/errata? I think it would be helpful. Here's what entries could look like:

p246 "such words that like"

p515 "for straight through"

p528 "none of the would"

(My dad found those in his read.) Basically we just need a page number and a short verbatim quote containing the error. An explanation of why it's an error can be added if it's not super obvious. (I think the UK page numbers should be the same or very close, but if you want, edition could be specified too.)

I am presuming he only means actualy Typgraphical issues and not canon/plot inconsistencies - such as a member of the Chosen referring to the Great Lord as the ''Dark One'' ? - (as Graendal does many times)... or having a character in the wrong geographical location (like Sulin in TGS).

Fish

Edited by The Fisher King

Page 354 - Birgitte wears a sword. Didn't she say in an earlier book that every time she'd picked up a sword in a previous life, she'd ended up dead?

There's another one...can't find the section, but it was an Ituralde section, prior to page 331, where Aes Sedai healing is mentioned. Sentence construction seems to imply that the pronoun 'he' refers to said Sedai.

Edited by Lironah

Page 354 - Birgitte wears a sword. Didn't she say in an earlier book that every time she'd picked up a sword in a previous life, she'd ended up dead?

There's another one...can't find the section, but it was an Ituralde section, prior to page 331, where Aes Sedai healing is mentioned. Sentance construction seems to imply that the pronoun 'he' refers to said Sedai.

I don't know about the second one, but the first one checks out. She does show a disdain for swords in previous books, but as the section pertaining to her wearing a sword in this book also states that she is reluctant to do so it is probably intended. Perhaps it is alluding to her dying in the next book after trying to use the sword?

No, he listed errata as well.

(I had posted the following in the Discuss up to Chapter 30 thread)

In Chapter 30, on page 473(of the TOR edition), bottom of the page:

"He had visited this city only once"

Did Perrin not visit Caemlyn twice? Once in The Eye of the World and once in Lord of Chaos?

Nope; the city he goes to in Lord of Chaos is Cairhien.

Ok, a big one... the chapter After The Taint was all about...

"Everything," Grady said softly. Perrin got a whiff of his scent. Hopeful. "It changed a few weeks back. But of course you don't know. Nobody knows. Fager and I weren't certain at first, and we weren't sure if we should tell anyone for fear of sounding delusional."

"Know what?"

"My Lord, the taint. It's gone."

Perrin frowned. Was this madness speaking? But Grady didn't smell mad.

"It happened on that day," Grady said, "when we saw something to the north. My Lord, I know it sounds unbelievable, but it is true."

[Page 171 UK edition]

Except that kind of jars with...

Grady and Neald claimed the male half of the Source was clean, now, but Perrin could not see how that could be.

[KoD; 29, The Last Knot]

End of Page 552-553

"Perrin hit first, swinging his hammer with a roar. Slayer actually sank into the ground, as if it were liquid, dropping beneath the AXE blow"

Notice the axe part. I don't know how that made it past but it did. He swung a hammer but Slayer dropped below a axe blow.

Not to mention that apparently Perrin didn't "hit"

Edited by Vermillion

Did Perrin not visit Caemlyn twice? Once in The Eye of the World and once in Lord of Chaos?

Now that I have had time to check, I am right. Lord of Chaos, Chapter 45 (A Bitter Thought):

Perrin POV: "He had seen Caemlyn once(before),..."

Should I look through Eye of the World too? lol

Edited by Olver_is_a_Forsaken

I'll reread the first half of the book, I have spotted about 5 errors in the first 300 pages, mostly missed words and missing "s" or "ed" on the end of words allowing for correct syntax but terrible dialouge. perrin missed out a whole word in one of his speeches.

Edit

The irony of a misspelt Dialogue is not missed lol

Edited by Juggler

Now that I have had time to check, I am right. Lord of Chaos, Chapter 45 (A Bitter Thought):

Perrin POV: "He had seen Caemlyn once(before),..."

Should I look through Eye of the World too? lol

Curious. That makes sense, given he ends up talking to Bashere, etc. there. I must have gotten it mixed up because Rand was kidnapped from Cairhien and heads there fairly shortly after his rescue to dethrone Colavaere, etc. That'll teach me to be quick to disagree.

Guest dendrophobe

495 - "he used their assumptions against him" Him should be them, referring to their (Trollocs).

Edited by dendrophobe

US Edition pg 639 - "We'll work it out," Galad said. "You let me protect you Egwene, and I'll obey you in anything else. I promise it."

<begin snarkiness> That's a nice offer of Galad, but I don't know why he would say it from three countries away when Gawyn is the one standing in front of Egwene. <end snarkiness> Galad POV was the prior chapter, the dialog should of course be attributed to Gawyn, not Galad.

Tulsi Z

PS - That's my first post on a newsgroup since 1995. How about that, Tarmon Gaidon must be approaching....

I have my doubts about p. 386: Desya gavane cierto cuendar isain carentin.

According to the translation (A resolute heart is worth ten arguments), there should be 4 new words in this sentence, but I only see 3. Gavane cannot mean either ten or argument, because it exists in the phrase "Nosane iro gavane domorakoshi", which means "Speak we what language?" Isain is related to isainde, which means 'is not', and cuendar is obviously heart, given as cuebiyari in another quote. Cierto strikes me as meaning resolute, given the similarity to latin, leaving carentin to most likely mean 'worth' or 'equal to'. If I were a gambler I'd say desya means ten. So gavane is out of place unless it has two meanings - due to the reversed construction of the Birgitte quote, it's probably in literal order, so gavane should mean 'what' or 'which'.

Edited by Lironah

US edition: Page 533

The viewpoint seems to switch from Faile to Perrin briefly, then back to Faile in this chapter.

The chapter follows Faile as she prepares for Perrin's trial. Perrin and Faile exchange words, and that's when the viewpoint shifts, or Faile can read Perrin's mind.

"He suddenly remembered his vision from the wolf dream. Sheep running in front of wolves. He'd thought himself one of the wolves. But could he have been wrong?

"Light! He had been wrong about that. He knew what it meant, now."

And then they talk more, and the viewpoint returns to Faile.

Carlinya's death might be a discontinuity. Min saw a raven tattoo around her which strongly implies a future link to Seanchan royalty.

From the FAQ:

TFOH: 26, Sallie Daera, 317

CARLINYA: "a raven floating beside her dark hair; more a drawing of the bird than the bird itself. She thought it was a tattoo..."

Carlinya is one of Sheriam's faction with the rebel AS. The raven tattoo indicates that a person is "property" of the Seanchan empress.

-- dwn