DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Intro to Saidar: First Lesson

Kathleen

Kathleen walked up and down the rows of empty chairs, straightening each one and making sure the room was in order. When she was sure the room was ready she made the way to the large desk at the front and smoothed out her papers. They were already laid out in order, ready to begin. She had taught the class so many times now she knew she wouldn't need the lesson plan, but she laid it out just the same. The Green walked to the classroom door and opened it wide. She took a seat at the large desk at the front of the room in an attempt to not look threatening as the novices arrived. A lot of new girls had the wrong idea about the Greens and often were uneasy around them.

She wasn't waiting long after the door opened when the first students began to trickle in. Kathleen smiled at each girl as she entered. She waited for all the students to arrive and take their seats. A few girls chatted as they waited for their classmates, and Kathleen did not stop them. But when everyone was seated the Green rose and took the floor. The moment she rose the chatter cut off and all heads turned to her.

“Good morning everyone. I am Kathleen Sedai and I will be your teacher for this Introduction to Saidar course." As she spoke she shifted her eye contact through out the class, giving each girl a moment of her own. "This class marks the beginning of your journey to becoming Aes Sedai. During this course you will learn about the nature of the One Power, and of course, how to channel. Now, I would like to take a moment for you to each introduce yourself to the class. We will be spending quite some time together and I'd like us to at least know a little about who we are sharing our time with."

Kathleen listened to each girl's introduction as they went around the room and when they were done she contunied. "Now that we are a little more well acquainted, let us begin. This class is arguably the most important class you will take in your time with us here at the Tower. Please listen carefully and take the warnings to heart, they are for your own safety." Kathleen's tone became quite harsh as she spoke, but they needed to know she meant what she said and it was not to be taken lightly, "The first rule you must learn is to never, and I mean never, channel without supervision. Supervision means with the approval and direct watchful eye of an Accepted or an Aes Sedai. If you are ever caught channelling without supervision you will wish you had never come to the White Tower. The Mistress of Novices does not take lightly to such a breach of the rules. You'd be lucky if she didn't turn you out of the tower on the first breach of this kind. Do you all understand me?”

Kathleen waited until each girl nodded that they did understand, she was not going to glaze over that question. She needed to know they truly understood how serious she was about it.“As I said earlier, every restriction that is in place is for your own safety. Young girls such as yourselves have been burned out or killed by channelling more of Saidar than they are ready for. We will teach you in a safe environment, and foster your abilities to bring you to your full strength.”

“Saidar is addictive. You will want to hold it all the time. You will feel more alive whilst holding Saidar; colours will be sharper and in this is the temptation to channel unsupervised. Do not fall prey to this temptation. I will say it again, and bide my words well, you will never channel unsupervised. I want to hear you each say that back to me. I want your word on it.”

Kathleen waited for each girl to repeat the promise. She only hoped the girls meant as they spoke. Too many girls could not resist, and too many girls did burn themselves out from it. When each girl had promised Kathleen continued.

"Now, I know that was not a pleasant way to start this lesson. It was necessary, but the ability and chance to learn to channel should be a pleasant experience, as it truly is a wonder to experience.

She smiled at the Novices seated in front of her and they appeared to relax a little. “Please take out your parchments and pens; you will want to take notes from here on in.”

There was a rustle of parchment and the clinking of inkpots having their stoppers removed. After a few moments, when silence had settled over the room again Kathleen began to speak. “We are here today to learn about the One Power. The One Power is what drives all of Creation. It allows the Pattern to form and the World to turn. As Channellers we become conduits for the One Power, we guide the One Power to use it for our needs.”

Kathleen took up a piece of chalk and drew a large circle of the chalkboard on the front wall of the small classroom. “We can represent the One Power as a circle such as this.” She then drew a sinuous line from the top of the circle and coloured the side that sat like a teardrop white. “The One Power or True Source, as you may hear it called, is made up of two halves. Women channel Saidar, the female half, you may recognise that symbol as the Flame of Tar Valon. While men channel Saidin, the male half, again you may recognise this symbol as what is known by many as the Dragon’s Fang.” Kathleen paused to label the to two halves of the circle.

There were several gasps from the Novices in the class at the mention of Saidin and Kathleen could almost feel the collective shudder from the students behind her at the mention of Saidin and the Dragon's Fang.

Kathleen smiled, hidden by the board the class wouldn't see it, but she always smiled when she heard that gasp. She couldn't remember one class that hadn't let out a gasp at that point in the lesson. She straightened her face and turned back to the class to continue, “Saidar and Saidin are simply two halves of a whole. Neither evil, nor good, they just are. Saidin is often regarded as evil because of the madness which consumes men who can channel. Saidin itself is not evil, it was during the Sealing of the Bore on the Dark One’s prison that Dark One reached out as his final gesture and tainted Saidin. It is this taint on Saidin that drives men who can channel mad; they often kill others before they themselves are killed. The Red Ajah’s mission is to protect not only the world from men who can channel, but to protect them from themselves by gentling men they can find with the ability to channel Saidin.”

“Saidar remains clean and safe to use and it is with Saidar that Aes Sedai work. To wield Saidar we must first surrender to it and understand it. The One Power is made of five elements, Air, Water, Earth, Fire and finally Spirit. Generally women are strongest in Air and Water, whilst men are stronger in Earth and Fire. Spirit is split evenly between the two. You will probably find that you have an affinity with one or two of the elements; however, you must not let your studies lag in the other elements because as our weaves become more complex we use flows of more than one element.”

Kathleen paused to let the girls finish noting what she had just explained and when they were all done she smiled and walked to the middle of the class.

“Set down your pens girls and close your eyes. Now the fun begins! We will now attempt to embrace Saidar.”

Kathleen watched as pens were hastily laid down and each girl closed her eyes and waited, some faces held trepidation whilst other held barely concealed excitement. Kathleen’s voice took on a hypnotic quality, “I want you to imagine a rosebud. Exclude everything from your thoughts except the rosebud. Become the rosebud, you are the rosebud. Think of nothing but the rosebud. Be the rosebud, feel the sun on your petals, feel the warmth of the sunlight and draw that warmth in. As you draw the warmth the rosebud opens and blooms.”

Kathleen slowly walked through the rows as she spoke in her soft hypnotic tone and she watched the girls. After a few moments some of the girls had a glow flicker around them, brightly shining and blinking out again. Every now and then one would open her eyes and give her head a shake before closing her eyes and trying again. Some took longer than others to have the glow, but gradually each of the girls in the room was able to maintain their embrace of Saidar and the glow surrounded each of them.

Kathleen Vandiar

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

(OOC: RP arriving in class, introducing yourself, your reaction to learning about the nature of Saidar and then attempting to embrace Saidar. Ask questions if you wish, and have Kathleen help you if need be. In a few days I will post again to complete this lesson and then we will begin Lesson Two)

Edited by Kathleen

Amore arrived early to class, as always. She was timely and had found others respected the fact. She was silent as she took her seat after curtsying to the teacher. Her face was impassive as others arrived, she sat alone, as she was comfortable being. She regarded her parchments, and quill, ink, and sand; organizing them before her as she readied herself for the lesson. She sat in the center of the room, able to look out either window. It was calming knowing there was another world out there.

All chatter stopped as the teacher stood. “Good morning everyone. I am Kathleen Sedai and I will be your teacher for this Introduction to Saidar course." As she spoke she shifted her eye contact through out the class, giving each girl a moment of her own. "This class marks the beginning of your journey to becoming Aes Sedai. During this course you will learn about the nature of the One Power, and of course, how to channel. Now, I would like to take a moment for you to each introduce yourself to the class. We will be spending quite some time together and I'd like us to at least know a little about who we are sharing our time with."

Amore stood, speaking plainly "I am Amore Le'fay." she took her seat back and looked at the others. After they were done they got to business; Amore was thirsting for knowledge, for advancement. She wrote in neat letters what the woman said about the Power, she gave little reaction to learning of saidin, everything had balance after all. Turning inward she closed her eyes.

She opened them slowly, giving her oath. She promised to never attempt this without an Aes Sedai or Accepted present, and then she closed her eyes...She was a gentle bank, guiding a river that never ended. She opened herself to the water, as if opening a small channel for the water to run through. She felt the sun on her back, she embraced it's warmth; and suddenly the world was more real, more vibrant than ever before. It was as if she were truly alive for the first time. She held onto the power, bathing in it, as the Aes Sedai stood watch.

Edited by Amore

Sora walked into the class and looked around slowly. She noticed that only one other girl had arrived early and she gave a shy nod. She did her formal bow (hand accross the chest and folded almost to the floor) to the Aes Sedai and took her seat. She sat alone in the back corner of the classroom and arranged everything on her desk for ease of use. As other novices trickled in she noticed their looks in her direction and some of the girls smirked at her as they took their seats and talked amongst themselves.

Soras head jerked up as she heard.“Good morning everyone. I am Kathleen Sedai and I will be your teacher for this Introduction to Saidar course." As she spoke she shifted her eye contact through out the class, giving each girl a moment of her own. "This class marks the beginning of your journey to becoming Aes Sedai. During this course you will learn about the nature of the One Power, and of course, how to channel. Now, I would like to take a moment for you to each introduce yourself to the class. We will be spending quite some time together and I'd like us to at least know a little about who we are sharing our time with."

Sora waited as all the other girls stood and introduced themselves. When they were all done she stood and said softly "My name is Sora"she quickly sat back down and heard some of the other girls whisper.Sora's eyes grew attentive when Kathleen Sedai spoke of not channeling unless she had direct supervision. She mouthed the oath that everyone spoke and focused again on the lesson.She drew the picture on the board that Kathleen Sedai had drawn and Sora took very neat and precise notes of everything she heard in the class.

As she was explaining the procedure on how to embrace the source using the rosebud technique Sora opened her eyes and looked at Kathleen Sedai with embarasement.Kathleen Sedai noticed her look and slowly walked to the back of the classroom and whispered to Sora if something was wrong.Sora said she didnt understand the rosebud analogy and asked if there was another way to embrace the source.Kathleen Sedai told her about the river and banks exercise and Sora understood that. Next thing she knew she was holding the power.

Kathleen walked up and down the rows between the girls, stopping for a moment at each one. She didn't speak to them, she just waited for the glow. If it did not come she would wait for the girl to ask for her help. A few times she was stopped by girls almost in tears. She reminded them that they had done it before, when they were tested, so she knew they could do it. Most of the time it was just nerves and pressure that made this lesson hard to do. But as the class went on and the girls relaxed and had more time to practice, each one of them did manage to embrace the source.

"Well done everyone. For some of you it came sooner and others had to work harder on it before they were able to embrace. Do not be hard on yourself over this. Embracing the source, as you all just did, is not always something that comes easily. In the years you will have to practice, on your way to becoming Aes Sedai, you will become so used to it that you won't even think about the rosebud; you will just open yourself to it at will. But until then, you will most likely need to think your way through each step. And there will be times, try as you may, that it just will not come to you. Times of great stress, or great fear; times when you cannot calmly focus on the process of opening yourself to it, these are the times you will find it difficult to embrace the source. And through out your lessons and years of learning, we will do what can be done to help you learn to overcome this." Kathleen watched the girls as she spoke and noticed a few of the frowns in the class disappeared.

"The longer you hold Saidar, and the more you use it, the more tired you will become. It doesn't take long to feel the effects of holding it. I am sure that most of you are already feeling tired from the lesson today. Your threshold for this will increase with more practice, but if you hold it for too long or hold too much at once, you will put yourself in danger of burning out. While you hold it and while you are using it, you may not think you are in danger, but the full effect of how much it takes out of you isn't truly felt until you release it. That is why it is imperative that you never practice this lesson, or the ones to follow in our future classes, with out the supervision of an Accepted or full Sister. Now, go rest. We will meet back here at the scheduled time for our second lesson."

Kathleen sat at the desk when she finished speaking, letting the class know the lesson was truly over and they really were dismissed. She started to gather her papers together, making sure to look approachable if the students had questions. She hoped the students would take the warning seriously, there were always a few novices who did break that rule and practice alone, but hopefully she has scared most of this class straight. If the joy they just felt from embracing today won out over her warning and they did practice with out supervision, the lesson of the next class would hopefully set them straight.

OOC: I will be posting the Second Lesson in a new thread in this board in the next few days. (possibly later today, but I have to go out for a few hours). You can RP your reaction to what Kathleen said at the end of this class and rp out leaving the class room. If you want to stop and ask Kathleen some questions feel free to do so.

Kathleen Vandiar

Edited by Kathleen

Amore listened as the Aes Sedai spoke, but she did not release the Power. She was afraid to draw in any more of it, but something told her she still had room, there was no uncomfortable prickle across her back. She listened to the rules, and nodded in acceptance. She was about to release the Source when the teacher signified the class was over, when suddenly a wild hair overtook her normal calculating mind. She was with a Sister, in a room quickly emptying.

Embracing the Source was one thing, it had come so easily to her, but now..now it seemed to be waiting on her direction. Feeble flows of air came from the girl's chest, her arms pressed against her sides. The papers atop her desk stowly righted themselves into a pile. After three tries and almost giving up she managed to lift the ink stopper and put it into the bottle.

She smiled proudly as she released the Soure; but found her body suddenly very fatigued, as if she had run all day. She gathered her things into her satchel and turned to see if the Aes Sedai had noticed; and then she had a frightening though, what if the woman got mad? This was simply an introductory class after all. She waited near the door before leaving as she bowed properly.

When the other students had left the room there was one girl still left behind. The girl tried to leave unnoticed, clearly trying to hide what she had done.

"Amore." Kathleen called to the girl without looking up. With a harsh tone on her voice the Green stood, staying calm and relaxed but her eyes and voice were as stern as any mother ready to rip into her own child, "Come child and sit. We must speak before you leave." Kathleen's scolding eye followed the girl as she slunk back to the chair in front on Kathleen.

"Did you honestly think I would not notice the only student to not release the One Power when I spoke?" Kathleen paused, but the girl did not reply, though her cheeks began to redden. "Did you honestly think I would not notice you channeling in my presence?" This time she did not stop to hear the girl's answer. "I had given you permission solely to embrace the source. I did not give you permission to hold it longer than the lesson, or to make any weaves with it." Her voice had all the rigidity of the Amrilyn herself and the fire behind her eyes glared down at the girl. She stared the girl down in silence for a moment longer and when the girl broke eye contact in shame Kathleen lightened her tone and continued.

"Child, I know the draw of Saidar can be hard to let go of, and I know it can be hard to restrain yourself from using it once you've opened yourself to it. But you must learn to control your impulses. There are many times in life that you will want to do something, but it is not in your best interest. You will still have the desire to do it, but you must learn to restrain yourself. I gave you a warning that doing just what you did could kill you, yet you chose to over look that and put your life in danger. Do you really think so little of your own life, child? And what of the life's of others? Do you plan to take a warder when you're raised? Would you be so careless as to put his life in danger because you have an urge to do something you know is reckless and unnecessary? Would you do the same to your Sister's if you take a shawl? Do not rush your lessons, Child, you will not get any further ahead and you could cause problems for yourself or others in the process."

Kathleen waited patently for the girl to answer her questions. When they talked it all out and Kathleen knew the girl was put in her place she walked calmly back to the large teacher's desk where she took out her own quill and parchment and began to write.

"Now Child, normally I would let this chat we had be your punishment, but this is a lesson I believe you truly must learn the full level of respect for. Abuse of the One Power and disobeying the direct order of an Aes Sedai is something I cannot let go unpunished. When you leave this room, you are to take this to the Mistress of Novices. I have outlined for her your actions here today. I hope to see you when the lesson continues, as I think the second lesson will be a very important one for you to learn. But I cannot say what the Mistress of Novices will do with you." Kathleen handed Amore the note and sent the girl on her way.

Kathleen Vandiar

Edited by Kathleen

As Kathleen Sedai released the class Sora quickly gathered up her belongings and left the room. She was the first out and by the time the other girls had filed out she was already sitting in a shadow filled corner. She waited there until she was sure all the other girls were out of the room and she slowly walked up to the open door and peeked in. She saw her teacher siting working on some paperwork.

Sora sat there for a minute trying to figure out how she could approach her when Kathleen Sedai said " Come in Sora. How can i help you." When Kathleen Sedai spoke Sora started and stepped into the doorway."Excuse me Kathleen Sedai, Do you have a minute? I am having a problem with the lessons im afraid. Not that your not teaching it well its just that i don't understand. It seems to me as though saidar is well more feminine." Her cheeks heated as she spoke and quickly lowered her head. "I was raised by my uncle and well i guess you could say im a tomboy. The last time I was around woman was when i was five and my aunt passed away. Is there another way to understand this?"

Kathleen Sedai motioned for her to sit and sora did so. She pulled out a quill, parchment and some ink and was ready to take notes.

Edited by Otpelk Cainam

When Amore had left the classroom Kathleen walked through it and straightened the chairs the students had left off set. It was a flaw of hers, she liked to have things just so. But this flaw had helped her more often than it hurt her. She always knew where things were when she needed them. She never left things laying around that others shouldn't see, and she could hide her having been somewhere by making sure the place looked just as it had before she arrived.

She thought about erasing the board with the flame and fang drawn on it, but she decided it could wait. No one was using the room next and she wanted to make a note of what had happened after class with Amore. As she was writing the note she noticed one of the girl's from the class peeking into the room. While she finished her note Kathleen searched her memory for the introduction the girl had given. When the name came to her and she put the quill away Kathleen spoke. "Come in Sora. How can I help you."

She looked up as the small girl shuffled into the room. She looked uneasy and her voice almost quivered as she spoke, "Excuse me Kathleen Sedai, Do you have a minute? I am having a problem with the lessons im afraid. Not that your not teaching it well its just that i don't understand. It seems to me as though saidar is well more feminine." A slight blush slowly formed on the girl's cheeks as she spoke and the girl lowered her head, "I was raised by my uncle and well I guess you could say im a tomboy. The last time I was around woman was when i was five and my aunt passed away. Is there another way to understand this?"

Kathleen motioned for the girl to sit. There was so much she felt she should say, but this girl was more delicate than Amore had seemed, and so Kathleen tried to keep her voice soft and understanding. But the girl could not have a free and easy ride here just because she was not used to life away from home. Too many girls thought they would be coddled here, but the White Tower was no place for the weak, and it was the teachers job to either make them strong enough or weed them out so the Tower would be strong.

"You seemed to understand the lesson just fine after we spoke earlier. Whatever you took away from our talk in class, you were able to use it to embrace the source then. Have confidence, child. You can do this, or you would not be standing in that white dress in front of me. Channeling is a natural part of you, just as breathing, seeing and feeling are. When you were born, you were not able to walk, though you held the ability within you. When you started learning I'm sure it was difficult. You did not know how to do it, and you would have fallen many times before you could stand on your own, but you had the ability within you from birth. With time, practice, patience and guidance you were able to improve your skill and now you walk without thinking of it. Channelling is just the same, child. You have just barely been born to the Tower. Embracing may be a struggle, but you did it during your test, and you have done it today. The more you do it the better you will become, and the easier it will be, until you can do the 100 weaves for the test for your shawl."

Kathleen stopped and let the girl digest what she had said. "As for this talk of Saidar being feminine and you being a tomboy, I feel these are just excuses. I will not address the fact that you bring up being raised by your uncle and your lack of a female caregiver to take the blame for you, as I'm sure it need not be mentioned more than I just have. But your ability to use Saidar has no tie to being a tomboy. Tomboy is a frame of mind. You are smart, use your wits. We say Saidar is the female half, not because the power itself is female, but merely from the fact that only females may use it. Tomboy or not, you are a female and thus you access Saidar. Tomboy or not, you can surely understand the concept if you try. Open your mind to the instructions you are given. The world will not always hand you what you want on a silver platter girl. Be ready to take it." Kathleen could tell the girl was not expecting to hear what she had said, but it had needed be said.

She tried to lighten her tone, and the look on her face as she continued, "Just because you fancy roses a female thing, does not mean you cannot relate to it. You understand that the bud of a flower is a tightly closed mass. It has the potential to open into a vibrant flower, but only with the nourishment and light from the warm sun pouring into it. You are the rose bud, with the potential to bloom, the source is the sun. Open yourself to it, let it flow into you. I believe I reworded this theory for you in class, in the form of a river surging into an ocean. The actual item you image is not important, it is understanding this lesson at its core that is key to your understanding it. You are a small, closed vessle, with potential to open up into something much more. There is a force just out of your reach that you can feel if you try. It will pour into it you feel for it and let it. If you open yourself to it a greater force will flow endlessly into you, if you let it."

Kathleen knew the girl could do it, she had proven it in the class. Some came with blocks that truly meant the child could not embrace the source at will, but this girl had done it in the class early. She did not have such a block. It was confidence the girl needed and that would only come in time. She told the girl as much, and let her practice the lesson again. When the girl had embraced the source Kathleen smiled.

"Very good Sora. Now, don't let me hear you say you have not learned this lesson. As I said earlier, you are just new to this. It will not always be easy. You may have times when you will reach for that sunlight, but not find it. You are a babe, taking your first steps. It is only natural that you will stumble and fall, but you are Channeller Sora, you are a Novice at the White Tower. You are a natural Channeller as you stand and breathe. I have seen you embrace the source at will many times today, so do not say you do not understand how. This is your first lesson. You have much to learn, but you will be taught. And Sora, do not try this lesson again without supervision. That source you draw from when you open yourself up, has far more power in it than your body can hold. It is too easy to go over your limit and burn out or die. Now, go rest child, before you take too much out of yourself. I will see you when our next lesson starts."

Kathleen Vandiar

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah.