DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Intro to Saidar: Second Lesson

Kathleen

Kathleen arrived to the classroom early and copied the list of names from the paper in her hand to the board. This was always a hard list to write. Even after all these years it was still a grounding thought each time she copied it. When the names were on the board the Green waited at the teacher's desk. She left the door open and waited for the students. She was hoping this class would end more solidly than the last one had. Each class was different, and there was no way to tell until the end. She would deal with what she was faced with, when she was faced with it.

She watched the students enter and kept her eyes on Amore as the girl took her seat. Hopefully this message would sink in for the girl. She wasn't sure if she would see her in this lesson. She had hoped she would be aloud to come, and she truly hoped the girl got her message this time. When all the students had taken their seats Kathleen stood.

"Good morning everyone, and welcome back to your Introduction to Saidar class. Our last lesson was on how to embrace the source. Today we move on in our studies." Kathleen motioned to the board of names, "Can anyone tell me the importance of these names. What ties them all together? Who are they?"

She waited as the students studied the list, and watched them try to work out the answer. When no one volunteered a guess Kathleen answered for them. “This list is one of White Tower initiates who have burned themselves out.” She paused to let the full effect land on each girl before she continued.

“They burned the ability to embrace Saidar right out of themselves. In most cases they drew too deeply on the One Power, or they tried to walk alone, channelling without supervision; trying to advance too quickly. I had briefly spoken of this in our last class, but I feel it deserves more than one mention. This is something that is not uncommon. Look at the number of names on that list. That is not even near a complete list, yet it fills this board. Some of these girls killed themselves in doing this, but others only burned the ability to channel out. You are right in thinking not all of the girls die from it, but many do loose there ability to grasp the source and are set out of the Tower. Before you choose to push your limits and channel with out supervision, please think through what could happen and decide if you are ready to die over one embrace. Think on what you would do with the rest of your lives if you were turned away from the Tower, never able to feel that sweet flow of Saidar again. If you still think that one unsupervised moment to hurry your learning along or feel the power in you is worth never feeling it again, I cannot stand over you and stop you. The choice is always yours, but I have given you all the information and warning I can. This is serious, and it claims many more lives than you may imagine. Copy the names please, keep them with you as you leave this class."

Kathleen watched the girls faces as she spoke, some seemed distracted and bored, other seemed to shake from fear. Most of the girls were somewhere in between, but she felt they had heard the message, and she knew there was nothing more she could do at this point. The girls would do as they would do, she just gave them the help she could. When the girls had all finished writing Kathleen rose from the desk and continued the lesson.

"The rest of today’s lesson is about control. Not only of yourself, but also of Saidar. For an Aes Sedai, control will be a vital part of everything you do. As the One Power becomes a larger part of your life, it is essential that you learn how to control it. The most widely used technique for controlling the Source is called ‘Pushing and Pulling’. The objective is to embrace and hold the Source, but hold it as far away from you as you can without releasing it. This discipline will help you to back off from the Source before you reach a level you cannot control. This will also help you when it comes time to learn linking in your Accepted studies."

"I want you all to close your eyes and imagine you are the rosebud. Feel the warmth of the sun on the petals, as you did in our last class. Feel it fill you and just hold yourself there." As Kathleen watched the glow of Saidar sprang up around each of the Novices. First it flickered in and out, and then gradually it solidified as each girl held firm to the Source. Some took a little longer than the others, but the Green waited until each girl was holding strongly before she continued. “Now imagine that a cloud is passing between you and the sun. As it does push the Source away from you, maintain your contact with Saidar but feel how it is distant. Now as the cloud moves away, pull Saidar back to you fully and feel the warmth again. Now remember this is a gradual movement, if you pull the One Power back to yourself too quickly it will hurt.”

Kathleen walked around the class, between the rows as she had during the last class. In time all of the girls managed to control the flow. While some took longer than others they all did manage to do it.

"Very good everyone. Release the Source now; the lesson is over." Kathleen watched as the glow blinked out of everyone. "You all did very well with the lesson today. If you have any questions I will be here for a few moments after class. Otherwise go get some rest; this exercise takes a lot out of you. I will see you all when we meet for our next lesson."

Kathleen began to erase the names off the board as the girls packed their things and began to file out of the room.

Kathleen Vandiar

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

OOC: Reply with arriving to the class, your reaction to the list of those who burned out, your attempt at pushing and pulling Sadair and your actions when the class ends.

Amore was still sore from her visit to the Mistress of Novices, but she refused to bend to physical pain, emotional pain was far worse. Her ego was bruised, she'd thought she'd done well at handling the flow of air, such a simple task; but as she entered the room she could feel Kathleen Sedai's eyes on her. Something about the woman was off, but Amore could not put a finger on it.

She took a seat pulling out her writing implements. And began copying the names from the bored; only when she was half-way through did she begin to recognize the names. A cold feeling in the pit of her stomach seemed to suddenly form a rock and drop their. These were all women like herself who'd burned themselves out before reaching the shawl.

She found herself sweating from nervousness, but let it pass, turning cold and goosing her skin. She was the bud, a brilliant orange flower common in the costal areas; she felt herself uncoil before the sun's light. and suddenly as she gave into it, Saidar filled her.

She completed he exercise, however uncomfortable and demanding of her attention it was. She followed the rest of the class in exercise until they were dismissed. She waited to bob a respectful curtsy to the Aes Sedai before leaving the room; she had a few books to look over.

Sora arrived early to class as she did to the last. Again there was only one other girl in the class besides her and she took her seat in the back corner alone again. She looked around as she pulled out her quill and ink,sand and parchment. As all of the other girls entered the room a she slinked back in her corner and some of the girls looked at her and snickered again as they took her seat. She overheard one of the girls whisper "Who let the baby into the white tower.". She looked around and notice that Kathleen Sedai didnt seem to hear it and so she just went back to what she was doing.

She watched as Kathleen Sedai stood from her desk and began to speak "Good morning everyone, and welcome back to your Introduction to Saidar class. Our last lesson was on how to embrace the source. Today we move on in our studies." Kathleen Sedai motioned to the board of names, "Can anyone tell me the importance of these names. What ties them all together? Who are they?" Sora looked at the board and began to think back to all the books of the Aes Sedai and of the White Tower that she had read. None of the names seemed to stand out to her. Soon after she realized she wasnt going to make the connection Kathleen Sedai said “This list is one of White Tower initiates who have burned themselves out.” Sora Sat up straighter as the gravity of the words hit her. “They burned the ability to embrace Saidar right out of themselves. In most cases they drew too deeply on the One Power, or they tried to walk alone, channelling without supervision; trying to advance too quickly. I had briefly spoken of this in our last class, but I feel it deserves more than one mention. This is something that is not uncommon. Look at the number of names on that list. That is not even near a complete list, yet it fills this board. Some of these girls killed themselves in doing this, but others only burned the ability to channel out. You are right in thinking not all of the girls die from it, but many do loose there ability to grasp the source and are set out of the Tower. Before you choose to push your limits and channel with out supervision, please think through what could happen and decide if you are ready to die over one embrace. Think on what you would do with the rest of your lives if you were turned away from the Tower, never able to feel that sweet flow of Saidar again. If you still think that one unsupervised moment to hurry your learning along or feel the power in you is worth never feeling it again, I cannot stand over you and stop you. The choice is always yours, but I have given you all the information and warning I can. This is serious, and it claims many more lives than you may imagine. Copy the names please, keep them with you as you leave this class." Sora begin to write down the names. By the light the list had so many names. And it was just a small number of them. How could they be so careless to ignore warnings. Sora shivered as she had a thought of her burned out. She thought she would almost rather be dead then to loose this amazing gift.

She was just finishing up when Kathleen Sedai told them of their next lesson. After her talk with Kathleen Sedai she had found her way to embrace the source. She closed her eyes and let everything become empty she became a horse leaving the barn she ran towards the door letting the light and smell of the outside consume her. The more she ran and played the more she felt the exhilaration that the freedom had offered her. This time Sora embraced the source immediatly and held onto it. She did as she was told and imagined herself being corralled and then set free. She felt the push and pull of the source. After awhile Kathleen Sedai told them to release and that the lesson was over.

She waited until after the class head left and approached. "Kathleen Sedai may i have a moment."she nodded to Sora and sora said "I just wanted to thank you for your help yesterday. And thank you for believing in me. You are one of the few who doesn't look at my size and appearance and instantly assume I'm not capable. So again thank you." She bowed at the waste arm across the chest fist to heart and gave a small smile. She went back to her desk and gathered her belongings and left to go study.

Kathleen wasn't sure to how respond to the curtsy Amore bobbed. It was sufficient in status, but she almost felt like perhaps the girl had been more affected by their little chat than she had meant her to be. But if she had learned the lesson she needed to, perhaps it hadn't been so bad that Kathleen was so harsh about it. It was a lesson that needed to be taken seriously, perhaps the most important lesson learned at the Tower. Listen closely to instructions from Aes Sedai, and follow them directly. Do not challenge the leniency given to you, and don't push the One Power.

When the rest of the class had left, Kathleen noticed Sora moving slowly to the door. She could tell the girl had something to say; she just hoped the novice would have the courage to approach her. She had been little harsh with the last conversation, and she knew she could be a little blunt, but the girl did have to overcome her shyness. The world was not going to be all sunshine all the time. Kathleen braced herself as the girl did speak, "Kathleen Sedai, may I have a moment." The Green prepaired herself for a second speech; the girl had done well in the class today and Kathleen hoped the girl would not ask her to repeat this lesson too. Kathleen simply nodded that the girl could approach her and she waited for Sora to say her piece.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help yesterday. And thank you for believing in me. You are one of the few who doesn't look at my size and appearance and instantly assume I'm not capable. So again thank you."

Kathleen smiled at the girl, "Of course I believe in you, child. You have already proven that you belong in the dress you wear, or you would not have it on. As for your size, I've learned to never underestimate anything based on looks alone. Many others will and do, but that can only help you. It is a tool you know you have, should you need to use it. But do not mistake the ignorance others have of you for the truth of who you are. Know yourself. There are few things in this world you will ever know completely. There are even fewer things you will know better than anyone else. Let yourself be one of those few things. Do not let others tell you that you are anything other than what you know you truly are."

The girl thanked Kathleen again and presented her with a rather lavish bow; the likes of which Kathleen had only ever seen on nobles, and young children who had never before laid eyes on Aes Sedai. When the girl rose Kathleen spoke again. "That is not necessary, child. A curtsy will suffice, and is what is expected. I'm surprised you've made it this far in your days at the Tower without learning that much. How your hide isn't red from the paddle over it, I cannot figure out. But I'll tell you now, curtsy child, in the presence of your superiors. You have seen the others doing just that I'm sure. Do not wait on others to set you down for each new lesson. Pick up what you can on your own. Open your eyes child, there are many more things to learn by seeing what others don't show you, than by waiting around for what they do. Now, I'm sure you have somewhere else to be. I didn't mean to keep you. You may go on your way." Kathleen turned her back to the girl and began to gather her things together so she too could leave the class.

Kathleen Vandiar

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

Edited by Kathleen