DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nominate Your Piece of Classical Music for "It's A Knockout"!!!

Corki

As you may have noticed last Monday with the "Tune or No Tune" threads I posted, the Band of the Red Hand is entering the world of Classical Music for March. This thread allows you to nominate your favourite pieces of Classical music to enter into the "It's A Knockout" contest to win the title of the Band's and DM's Favourite Piece of Classical Music. And below is what you need to do!

Between now and MONDAY 14TH MARCH 2011, nominate the piece of classical music you want to see try and win the contest. Follow the simple proforma below to get a nomination in. Name the piece of classical music, its composer, explain why you have nominated it, and provide a YouTube clip (or similar) of the piece.

[u][b]Piece of Music (with composer):[/b][/u] 
[u][b]Reason for Nomination:[/b][/u] 
[u][b]YouTube (or similar link):[/b][/u] 

You can nominate more than one piece. Any nomination that is seconded, i.e. Krak suggests Piece X and Jeannaisais agrees with the nomination, automatically qualifies for a place in the "It's A Knockout" contest. There will also be 4 seeded pieces of music, which were the top 4 from when this contest was held in May 2010 - results can be found here. You can see what happened in March 2009 as well! Otherwise, it will be done on a first come, first served basis. If there are any gaps at the end of the nomination period, I will fill in the gaps.

PLEASE NOTE: I am looking for a minimum of 4 or 12 nominations (taking into account the 4 seeds), and will be flexible on the "It's A Knockout" format depending on the number of nominations I get.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.

Nominated Tracks

Seeded (and with an automatic place in the "It's A Knockout" contest)

1. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner

2. Night on a Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky

3. William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini

4. Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel

Seconded (and with an automatic place in the "It's A Knockout" contest)

1. 5th Symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven

2. Piano Sonata #14 Op.27 (AKA The moonlight Sonata) 1st and 3rd Movements by Ludwig van Beethoven

3. Swan Lake Ballet by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

4. Piano Concerto #20 In D Minor, K 466 - 1. Allegro by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

5. Piano Concerto #23 In A, K 488 - 3. Allegro Assai by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

6. Jupiter by Gustav Holst

7. 9th Symphony 2nd Movement by Ludwig van Beethoven

8. Claire de Lune by Claude Debussy

9. Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

10. The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky

11. Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute), Der Holle Rache by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

12. Piano Concerto No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff

13. Concerto de Aranjuez by Joaquín Rodrigo

14. The Nutcraker Suite by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

15. In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Greig

Nominated

1. Dies Irae by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

2. Piano Concerto No. 1 1st Movement by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

3. Les Toreadors by Georges Bizet

5. Minute Waltz by Frédéric Chopin

5. The Great Gate of Kiev by Modest Mussorgsky

6. Piano Sonata No. 23 In F Minor, Op. 57, "Appassionata": I. Allegro Assai by Ludwig van Beethoven

7. Piano Concerto No 15 in B Flat Major by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

8. Don Giovanni, K. 527; Act 2, Commendatore Scene by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Added by Corki

1. Toccata and Fugue by Johann Sebastian Bach

2. Sabre Dance by Aram Khachaturian

3. Pomp and Circumstance Military March No. 1 in D by Edward Elgar

4. Aquarium (Carnival Of The Animals) by Camille Saint-Saëns

5. Blue Danube by Johann Strauss II

The following 4 songs are seeded, since they were the top 4 songs from the May 2010 contest.

Seeded (and with an automatic place in the "It's A Knockout" contest)

1. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner

2. Night on a Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky

3. William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini

4. Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel

Please do not vote or nominate these! They already qualify!

Piano Sonata #14 Op.27 (AKA The moonlight Sonata) 1st and 3rd Mvts

I have always loved to play Beethoven on the piano and the 1st movements is something I always go back to.

If I could play the 3rd it would be amazing but its a bit out of my league.

Anyway I really like the way this guy plays it so I hope you like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjmTMgERioY&feature=related

(36sec for 1st movement & 7min 30sec for 3rd movement

Beethoven's 9th Symphony 2nd Mvt

This piece is great. I listen to it all the time and I like how intricate but simple it is.

I posted a video which makes it really clear how everything is moving so

you can see how complicated it is but how well it works

Piece of Music (with composer): Jupiter by Gustav Holst

Reason for Nomination: The winner from the 2009 contest. A wonderful piece of music. It also happens to contain the music from one of my favourite British hymns, The Two Fatherlands, better known as I Vow To Thee My Country.

YouTube (or similar link):

Mozart's Requiem; Dies Irae

So I always liked the requiem when I saw Adameus and watched how he wrote it. Then last year for my level three music class we had to re arrange some famous piece. I chose Twinkle Twinkle and overlaid it with the Requiem. I just loved the requiem even more since then. I studied it so much that now I think I truly appreciate the depth behind it. It made me appreciate Mozart more then i had originally. I like the 3rd Mvt the best but I also really like the 1st, and 9th. Anyway enjoy

and my version just for fun :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZ5l5ua3io

(the quality isn't great because I could only get the audio from what I wrote it in)

BTW I dont want all these to be in the contest cos otherwise Ive already basically filled up the tally. If anyone agrees with me then they should go it cos last time I was the only one voting for one of mine and it was a waste of a place really

As stated in my initial post, I am flexible on numbers. If I get enough to run a contest with 32 entries (i.e. 28 nominations with 4 automatic qualifiers), then I will! I have more I want to nominate!

Piece of Music (with composer): Debussy "Claire de Lune"

Reason for Nomination: Although I have never played this song, I listened as my sister practiced it for performance and it is definitely one of Debussy's best pieces in my mind.

YouTube (or similar link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6s49OKp6aE

Piece of Music (with composer): Chopin's "Minute Waltz"

Reason for Nomination: again, being a piano player, I tend to revert back to pieces I have played, such as this one. This one by far one of my favorite pieces to play, and it is also quite impressive when you can get it up to speed, which I never did when I was younger, but it's definitely a life goal

YouTube (or similar link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWM-cQpqixU

Piece of Music and Composer: The Nutcraker Suite - Tchaikovsky

Reason: I just love this music, mainly from when I was young and Ballet took up a lot of my life outside school. It''s My favourite Ballet of all time, and the music not only reminds me of that time, but also makes me feel good, it's light and makes me want to dance!

Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7-HisQ6tqU

Piece of Music (with composer): Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

Reason for Nomination: One of the great pieces of modern Classical Music. As well as being a classical success, it has also been a commercial success for dance music and poppy electrical classical music.

Piece of Music (with composer): The Great Gate of Kiev by Modest Mussorgsky

Reason for Nomination: I have to get my favourite piece of Classical Music involved! A great conclusion to the wonderful Pictures at an Exhibition, which is full of musical imagery.

Archived