DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Classical Music Pieces - It's A Knockout (Winner: Ride of the Valkyries)

Corki

As mentioned previously, The Band of the Red Hand is taking a short break in its search for our Dream Band after Freddie Mercury of Queen won the Male Vocalist part of the search, joining Carlos Santana on Guitar, Geddy Lee as the bass player, and Within Temptation's Sharon den Adel as the female vocalist. April saw the Band focus on Soundtrack music and composers. For May, we switch to Classical Music, and in this thread, specific pieces of Classical Music. You managed to nominate eight (8 ) pieces of classical music to go with four (4) seeded tracks from the 2009 version and four (4) added by me to challenge for the honour of being the Band's and DM's Favourite Classical Piece of Music. And that title falls to piece of music that wins this "It's A Knockout" contest. It is basically down to you to pick who gets that important title.

"It's A Knockout" remains with the longer format this month - and this means there are 16 Soundtrack Pieces instead of 8!

Also, at the same time, do get involved in the corresponding "It's A Knockout" thread that focuses on Composers of Classical Music.

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel, music and eating out Social Group, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of the chosen category (past categories include Micheal Jackson songs, Classical Music, One Hit Wonders). Each day, 2 or 4 Classical Pieces will be posted in either 1 or 2 ties, along with links so you can listen to the music if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post which piece you think is the better of the two in the tie. After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning piece will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 piece of music left as the winner at the end of the competition - who will named the Band's and DM's Favourite Piece of Classical Music. It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESULTS

Please Note: The following songs are seeded, and their seed is in brackets during the tie.

1. Jupiter by Gustav Holst

2. O Fortuna by Carl Orff

3. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner

4. Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

Round 1

1. Jupiter by Gustav Holst (1) beat Bolero by Maurice Ravel (4-1)

2. Scheherazade by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov lost to Night on a Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky (1-4)

3. Wedding March by Felix Mendelssohn lost to Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel (2-3)

4. War March of the Priests by Felix Mendelssohn beat (4) Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber (1-3)

5. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner (3) beat Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin (6-0)

6. Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G major, BWV 1048 by JS Bach lost to The Great Gate of Kiev by Modest Mussorgsky (1-2)

7. William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini beat 1812 Overture by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (3-1)

8. Le veau d'or by Charles Gounod lost to (2) O Fortuna by Carl Orff (1-3)

2nd Round

1. Jupiter by Gustav Holst (1) lost to Night on a Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky (2-3)

2. Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel beat War March of the Priests by Felix Mendelssohn (4-1)

3. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner (3) beat The Great Gate of Kiev by Modest Mussorgsky (4-1)

4. William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini beat (2) O Fortuna by Carl Orff (3-2)

Semi-Final

1. Night on a Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky beat Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel (4-2)

2. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner (3) beat William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini (6-0)

3rd/4th Play-off

1. Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel lost to William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini (1-3)

Final

1. Night on a Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky lost to Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner (3) (1-3)

THE CHOSEN PIECES OF CLASSICAL MUSIC

1. Jupiter by Gustav Holst

The 2009 winner. Jupiter comes from Holst's The Planet Suite, which premièred fully for the first time in 1920. Jupier is known as "The Bringer of Jollity", and is a very rousing and cheerful piece of music. Modern adaptations include for the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country and The World in Union theme for the Rugby Union World Cups.

2. Bolero by Maurice Ravel

Boléro is a one-movement orchestral piece by Maurice Ravel, which was initially composed for a ballet. It is probably Ravel's most famous piece of music. It comprises of 18 parts, with different instruments being the rhythm and theme of the music. British Ice Skaters Torvill and Dean led the UK to an Olympic Gold in 1984 when they used Boléro as the music for their figure skating performance.

3. Scheherazade by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

It was composed in 1888, and is mainly based on The Book of One Thousand and One Nights, better known as The Arabian Nights. It features common to Russian music - dazzling, colorful orchestration and an interest in the East. According to Karasayl, the violin in the first movement, "The Sea and Sinbad's Ship" is just mesmerizing!

4. Night on a Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky

Mussorgsky composed the piece, but it was arranged and played after his death by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov. A witches' sabbath is the theme of the piece. The music definitely gives the feeling something evil is going on - and I think it is one of the best pieces of music to depict wind. The piece has been used many times in popular culture, with Disney's Fantasia the most notable.

5. Wedding March by Felix Mendelssohn

The Wedding March comes from Mendelssohn’s suite of incidental music to Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was written in 1842, and is one of his better known pieces of music. It was supposedly first played as the entry for the bride in St Peter’s Church, Tiverton, UK, on 2 June 1847.

6. Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel

Canon in D is such a beautiful, elegant, yet simple song that tugs at the soul and, I'm sure, conjures up the image of a wedding (for the ladies). It happens to be Pachelbel’s most famous piece of music, and the exact date of composition is unknown, but it was rediscovered in the 20th century. It is one of the greats from the Baroque period.

7. War March of the Priests by Felix Mendelssohn

War March of the Priests was written as a march to Athalia, and it is very recognizable. It gives Karasayl (who nominated the piece) the feeling of victory after an enduring struggle.

8. Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

Adagio for Strings came fourth in the 2009 contest, and is Samuel Barber's most known piece of music. Composed in 1935, it forms part of Barber's String Quartet No. 1, Op. 11. It's a really flowing, easy-going piece of music to listen to - brilliant to relax to. It really does show off string instruments to their best. In recent years, the world of dance music has covered the song, like William Orbit, Armin Van Buuren and Tiësto.

9. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner

The Ride of the Valkyries is the name given to the beginning of Act III of Die Walküre, an opera by Wagner. The composer likes to do things on a grand scale - and Die Walküre is no exception! The music is building up for the lifting of the curtain, which reveals a mountain peak where four of the eight Valkyrie sisters of Brünnhilde have gathered in preparation for the transportation of fallen heroes to Valhalla. It is often used for military-like exercises in film and TV, for example, the 1979 film Apocalypse Now. It's universally known - and a classic!

10. Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin

Gershwin composed music for both the concert hall and Broadway. Rhapsody in Blue was first played in 1924, and combines elements of classical music with jazz-influenced effects since it was composed for a solo piano and jazz band. Of course, this has led to a great debate - is it jazz or classical music? Whatever the outcome, it is a great piece of music from the last century!

11. Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G major, BWV 1048 by JS Bach

It's just one of my favorite Baroque pieces, which I feel captures the essences of the baroque style. Personally I don't think baroque gets the credit its due.

12. The Great Gate of Kiev by Modest Mussorgsky

This happens to be my favourite piece of classical music at the moment. The Great Gate of Kiev is the rousing finale to Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, where he cleverly depicts various scenes with the music. The Promenade that links each picture (i.e. the walk between the pictures) features prominently. It sounds like a great procession is going through in celebration. A great piece of music!

13. William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini

It's the Lone Ranger! Yes, this piece of music was used for that classic. Coming from the opera William Tell, Rossini uses the whole orchestra for this wonderful piece of music. Very recognisable and very enjoyable. A great start to the opera!

14. 1812 Overture by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

The name along is known throughout the music world. Composed in 1812, it was written to commemorate Russia's defense of Moscow against Napoleon's advancing Grande Armée at the Battle of Borodino. The piece is made famous by the climactic volley of cannon fire and ringing chimes. The piece moves depicts the distress of the Russian people at the hands of the invading French through a mixture of pastoral and militant themes. Keen listeners will not the use of the French National Anthem, La Marseillais, which gives the effect of the fighting actually taking place.

15. Le veau d'or by Charles Gounod

Of all the pieces from Gounod's opera Faust, this one best illustrates the character of Mephistopheles, the devil that serves as Faust's mentor/guide/tempter.  In it, he sings of the Golden Calf and its general effect on the incorporeal world through time, even going so far as to proudly boast that "Satan leads the dance." ("Et Satan conduit la bal!")

16. O Fortuna by Carl Orff

Everyone knows of Carmina Burana, Carl Orff's famous cantata. And O Fortuna is the famous movement from the piece. Many artists, especially in the metal world of music, have performed the movement. It's a wonderful working of a large chorus and loud, bashful music (drums, cymbols). It works fantastically! And it's in Latin - even better!

Banders, Please Note:

Voting in "It's A Knockout" threads counts towards posting in an activity thread for points gained through the roll call. However, in order for that to qualify, you need to post and vote at least 4 times.

Corki

Marshal-General

Social Group Leader

Round 1, Tie 1

First up is the 2009 defending champion against the best known piece from the French composer Maurice Ravel.

Jupiter by Gustav Holst

The 2009 winner. Jupiter comes from Holst's The Planet Suite, which premièred fully for the first time in 1920. Jupier is known as "The Bringer of Jollity", and is a very rousing and cheerful piece of music. Modern adaptations include for the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country and The World in Union theme for the Rugby Union World Cups.

Link:

vs.

Bolero by Maurice Ravel

Boléro is a one-movement orchestral piece by Maurice Ravel, which was initially composed for a ballet. It is probably Ravel's most famous piece of music. It comprises of 18 parts, with different instruments being the rhythm and theme of the music. British Ice Skaters Torvill and Dean led the UK to an Olympic Gold in 1984 when they used Boléro as the music for their figure skating performance.

Link:

Voting ends Monday 17th May 2010 at 11pm (BST)

Round 1, Tie 2

The second tie sees two of the Russian composers known as "The Five" go head to head with two of their better known pieces.

Scheherazade by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

It was composed in 1888, and is mainly based on The Book of One Thousand and One Nights, better known as The Arabian Nights. It features common to Russian music - dazzling, colorful orchestration and an interest in the East. According to Karasayl, the violin in the first movement, "The Sea and Sinbad's Ship" is just mesmerizing!

Link:

(part 1),
(part 2),
(part 3),
(part 4),
(part 5)

vs.

Night on a Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky

Mussorgsky composed the piece, but it was arranged and played after his death by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov. A witches' sabbath is the theme of the piece. The music definitely gives the feeling something evil is going on - and I think it is one of the best pieces of music to depict wind. The piece has been used many times in popular culture, with Disney's Fantasia the most notable.

Link:

Voting ends Monday 17th May 2010 at 11pm (BST)

I am completely torn on the first one. I love Bolero, and Jupiter is pure awesomeness. Why did I have to pair them together? Anyway, with a bit of regret, I am voting for Jupiter.

Well, I am a huge Modest Mussorgsky fan, so Night on a Bald Mountain gets my vote in the second tie!

There were two easy victories in the first two ties. Both Jupiter and Night on a Bald Mountain won through their ties with 4-1 victories.

The third tie is on the way.

Round 1, Tie 3

The third tie sees two pieces of music that can be associated with weddings go head-to-head for a place in the 2nd round.

Wedding March by Felix Mendelssohn

The Wedding March comes from Mendelssohn’s suite of incidental music to Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was written in 1842, and is one of his better known pieces of music. It was supposedly first played as the entry for the bride in St Peter’s Church, Tiverton, UK, on 2 June 1847.

Link:

vs.

Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel

Canon in D is such a beautiful, elegant, yet simple song that tugs at the soul and, I'm sure, conjures up the image of a wedding (for the ladies). It happens to be Pachelbel’s most famous piece of music, and the exact date of composition is unknown, but it was rediscovered in the 20th century. It is one of the greats from the Baroque period.

Link:

Voting ends Tuesday 18th May 2010 at 11pm (BST)

I left this running overnight to see if I would get any further votes. Sadly, I didn't. :( Anyway, I can now announce that Canon in D scrapped through with a narrow 3-2 victory.

Time for the next two ties.

Round 1, Tie 4

Tie 4 sees the piece that finished fourth in 2009 take on a new challenger for 2010 from Felix Mendelssohn.

War March of the Priests by Felix Mendelssohn

War March of the Priests was written as a march to Athalia, and it is very recognizable. It gives Karasayl (who nominated the piece) the feeling of victory after an enduring struggle.

Link:

vs.

Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

Adagio for Strings came fourth in the 2009 contest, and is Samuel Barber's most known piece of music. Composed in 1935, it forms part of Barber's String Quartet No. 1, Op. 11. It's a really flowing, easy-going piece of music to listen to - brilliant to relax to. It really does show off string instruments to their best. In recent years, the world of dance music has covered the song, like William Orbit, Armin Van Buuren and Tiësto.

Link:

Voting ends Thursday 20th May 2010 at 11pm (BST)

Round 1, Tie 5

The piece that finished third in 2009, and a very recognisable piece takes on one of the great pieces from the 20th century.  

Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner

The Ride of the Valkyries is the name given to the beginning of Act III of Die Walküre, an opera by Wagner. The composer likes to do things on a grand scale - and Die Walküre is no exception! The music is building up for the lifting of the curtain, which reveals a mountain peak where four of the eight Valkyrie sisters of Brünnhilde have gathered in preparation for the transportation of fallen heroes to Valhalla. It is often used for military-like exercises in film and TV, for example, the 1979 film Apocalypse Now. It's universally known - and a classic!

Link:

vs.

Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin

Gershwin composed music for both the concert hall and Broadway. Rhapsody in Blue was first played in 1924, and combines elements of classical music with jazz-influenced effects since it was composed for a solo piano and jazz band. Of course, this has led to a great debate - is it jazz or classical music? Whatever the outcome, it is a great piece of music from the last century!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQPDG-T7BVM (part 1) and

(part 2)

Voting ends Thursday 20th May 2010 at 11pm (BST)

Archived