DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does anybody remember this theory? (steddings and OP)

szilard

I do not remember it at all. My only memory of it that steddings are islands in the sea of OP.

I'd like to read that theory again, or I'd like to read your thoughts of that topic (if anybody cares about it). 

I seem to remember that the stedding, even the abandoned ones, all have some type of plant or shoot all the characters noticed growing on the ground when they first felt the change as they entered the stedding.  I doubt that the plants provide any effect of creating a bubble in the OP but they were significant. 

Chora trees were "engineered" so to speak, but it is highly possible that the Chora trees and the peace they gave were modeled after the shoots in the stedding.  There was a lot going on between constructs like the Nym, the Ogier, and the Aiel and those other humans who had the "voice."  We see by way of one of the Rhudien visions back to the past that in a matter of moments with the Nym dancing in the fields and the Ogier doing their songs of growing and the humans with the voice that crops sprang up from seeds, grew, and were ready for harvest in what seemed like minutes, perhaps hours at the most.  We see this repeated somewhat in "Apples First" chapter when Rand comes down Dragonmount and Almen Bunt is despairing at his brother-in-law's orchard crop being ruined but even then it wasn't Rand singing, it was his connection with the land so there are lots of possibilities and a lot of different things going on.  But the Chora trees even if modeled after the shoots in the stedding did not copy the stedding's ability to push the OP back from its borders.  It likely would have prevented the Ter'angreal from working and would have cut ff Rand and Asmo when they were fighting with the OP in the square.  It did get singed pretty good during that fight.   

i agree,it is possible that chora trees and the peace they gave,were modeled 

after the shoots in the stedding,but they weren't created to block channeling,

during the age of legends,every city was full with chora trees,they were fairly common.

same with rhuidean,we never learned what was the original intent of rhuidean,

the aes sedai and jenn aiel who built the city,ran out of time and decided to

make rhuidean an initiation place for aiel chiefs and wise ones,like chora trees,

rhuidean was never built to block channeling,the last two aes sedai who worked

in rhuidean knew a day would come when  the dragon reborn will enter their city...

"the stone that never falls will fall to announce his comming.of the blood,but not

raised by the blood,he will come from rhuidean at dawn...."

rand visited rhuidean 4 times(to the best of my recollection),during his first visit

with mat,he channeled inside the city three times without any problem.

Thanks for the answers!

I seem to remember that the stedding, even the abandoned ones, all have some type of plant or shoot all the characters noticed growing on the ground when they first felt the change as they entered the stedding.  I doubt that the plants provide any effect of creating a bubble in the OP but they were significant. 

I've never thought of that in that way.

Did this have anything to do with the chora trees?

I remember only one additional details: it was posted on wotmania around 1999-2000. Its format was horrible to save whole threads, and my floppies are practically dead. And who uses floppy in these days? (Except nuclear thingies.)

@Narg if you read this

you should add tarvalon.net and readandfindout.com to the sidebar of your site.

But what you are saying is interesting: one could combine your post and Orderofolde's post, so we could develop a new theory. I usually cannot see the dots, not to mention connecting them together. (That's why I like forums.)

Everything has something growing related in WOT...

There was a lot going on between constructs like the Nym, the Ogier, and the Aiel and those other humans who had the "voice." 

Nov 17th, 2009 TGS Signing Report - Robert Moreau (Verbatim)

Question:  I got the impression from somewhere that the Aiel were a result of tampering, to some degree, with the One Power. Am I insane, or is that based in reality?

Orderofolde, I'd like to hear about this; maybe start another thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the Aiel were the result of tampering with the one Power.. maybe they were the first group to use the One Power. I think this because channeling seems to be more common amongst them. It was estimated that there were about 4,000 channelers among the Wise Ones, and remember, they only train those with the spark, and it's said that for every woman with the spark, there are 20 who can be taught. Apparently, it must be about as common amongst them as it is in Two Rivers.

Archived