DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Horror of High Ridge - A Choose Your Own Adventure Story

LilyElizabeth

• Club Leader

"Let's go to the museum. It seems like a safer bet." You stay hidden in the shadows along the way. 

The wind has picked up and feels cold on your neck. When you reach the library, you realize the front door is in direct moonlight. 

"How are we going to get in?" asks Lisa.

"Oh, shoot, I just realized I left the key that Mrs. Grundy, the librarian, gave me this morning, back at the cabin." 

"Is there a back door?" Ricardo asks. 

"Yeah, but it's usually bolted."

"We're going to the second floor, right?" asks Lisa. 

"Yeah."

"What about the fire escape on the side? Can't we climb up and break a window? I'm sure no one would mind under these circumstances."

"Good idea, Lisa!" says Ricardo, and before you can stop him, he is hurrying off. You have no choice but to follow. 

As you climb the metal fire escape, you feel very exposed You have never liked open grating under your feet, and now it feels awful. When you reach the top, Ricardo has already broken the window and crawled in. You start to slide in after him when you hear a shot. 

Ricardo groans. You hear a thud as he hits the floor. 

You're not sure what to do: crawl in and see what's happened, or get out of there quickly. It doesn't help to find that you're stuck, and behind you Lisa is urgently whispering: "Hurry up! What happened? Was that a shot? C'mon!"

A woman's voice rings out in the darkness. "Oh, no! I've shot him." It's Mrs. Grundy! As quickly as possible you free yourself and, with Lisa following, rush to Ricardo. 

You discover that he's just nicked in the shoulder. Lisa gets the first aid kit and patches him up, while a distraught Mrs. Grundy says that she thought he was a "hooligan" responsible for the "shenanigans" happening that night. 

You leave Lisa to console Mrs. Grundy and comfort Ricardo. You find the statue in a glass case. The tomahawk in the chief's hand almost glows with inner light. The plaque on the case reads:

The following poem was found along with this statue when it mysteriously appeared May 9, 1889, in front of this building. To date no one has determined the meaning of the poem or the origin of the statue. 

Swing me twice when the glow arrives,

You'll save yourself and other lives. 

Swing me thrice as the horror goes, 

You'll bring peace between the foes. 

With a whoop, you break the glass, grab the tomahawk from the statue's hands, and leap down the fire escape before a startled Mrs. Grundy or Lisa can stop you. 

THE END

Archived