DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Project - Leather bound books

Animus.Tesseract

Hi,

I am new to this forum and thought I share the journey of binding all books in leather.

As the original leather bound books are hard to come by and I am a friend of having all of them the same style, feel and look, I decided to have them rebound in leather.

Browsing through a couple of bookbinders, I finally decided that it would be much more fun to actually do this on my own. I have bound a couple of books in the past and know how to work with leather. So why not giving it a try.

While not the very best material to work from, I got a good deal on the whole set on Amazon for the hardcover versions. I have spent the last days to remove the original cases and to stabilize the spine. While taking the books apart it was interesting to see how different the binding from book to book was and how the quality changed over time. Rule of thumb: The older the book, the better the binding.

I decided to preserve and reuse as much material as I can, so much to my delight, I was happy to find out that the boards are the correct dimensions to be reused for the new cases.

Next steps are me browsing through multiple sources to find the right materials to continue. I am playing with the thought of trying to gild the edges as an additional step. Something I wanted to try for quite a while. I am also trying to settle on the best leather color to use. I already know it will not be the original green, but let's see where the journey takes me.

I will post here from time to time updates on the progress. As this is a hobby project there might be some gaps in between either for me being busy with other things or simply waiting for things to dry. Let's see where this is going.

If anyone has done this before or has tips or tricks, please feel free to make suggestions. Happy to discuss.

2016_10_27_11_13_14.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do not want to offend you, and you can do anything you want with your books, but please, do not post images about books in that condition. As a book lover, it is so horrible that words fail me.

I agree with you that there are quality problems, but if you are careful, even mmpb books can last a (very) long time. (Then you buy a new one with a new cover.)

No offense taken. :) I can very much relate to your feelings and believe me, the first cut wasn't easy. I have spared you previous pictures as the books looked much worse before I got them into the state they are.

My remarks to quality weren't in regards to how long they will last. It was more a critique to the publisher and a remark to how curious it was to see how different editions can be.

As for the current state, this will hopefully change soon. The books are simply in a state of change and hopefully, over the course of the next 2-3 months, they will look much nicer than they looked before. See it as honoring both the books and the author(s).

I have spared you previous pictures as the books looked much worse before I got them into the state they are.

Rand! Then it was a very wise thing to put them away.

My remarks to quality weren't in regards to how long they will last. It was more a critique to the publisher and a remark to how curious it was to see how different editions can be.

You are totally right, the latest editions feel very cheaply made.

A related question: you can will exchange the old covers for new ones, but you cannot change the paper itself. What do you think about them?

If you have a little time, you could write down a list:

book 1: just a short remark

book 2 etc

I think that the paper of POD has the best quality: so soft and creamy, but it does not fit to the series. The series needs a little more harsher, leaner paper. Unfortunately the latest printings does not give me 'the feeling of a book', if you know what I mean. They feel like pages printed out of a printer at home then slapped together.

As for the current state, this will hopefully change soon. The books are simply in a state of change and hopefully, over the course of the next 2-3 months, they will look much nicer than they looked before. See it as honoring both the books and the author(s).

Just give them their new robes as soon as possible. Will you bound them in plain covers, or will you don them fancy covers like these (https://juniperbooks.com/store/harry-potter-sets/)? :wink:

Hey, I almost left out the most important thing: Welcome aboard! I hope you will post outside this thread too, and will not vanish like the other newcomers.

A related question: you can will exchange the old covers for new ones, but you cannot change the paper itself. What do you think about them?

If you have a little time, you could write down a list:

book 1: just a short remark

book 2 etc

I think that the paper of POD has the best quality: so soft and creamy, but it does not fit to the series. The series needs a little more harsher, leaner paper. Unfortunately the latest printings does not give me 'the feeling of a book', if you know what I mean. They feel like pages printed out of a printer at home then slapped together.

Unfortunately yes, I can not change the paper. Would be nice, though. ;)

I can not recall book by book, but the paper seems to be fairly consistent across the hardcover books. The paper thickness varies book by book when it comes to the later books. TOM has fewer pages than AMOL but is thicker. Some also seem to discolor quicker than others. If I stack them against each other you can easily see the differences in color. This was also the reason that I decided that I will attempt a gilding of the edges. Wish me luck. As much as I have read about it, this will be a time-consuming and complicated process. But the outcome should be worth it. I will post pictures of the process. The gold leaf has not yet arrived.

As for the paper in general, I personally prefer a very thin and close to see through paper. More like a vellum or parchment. But you do not get this in books anymore. I had a version of the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn saga (aka. Dragonbone chair saga) from Tad Williams from the 90s which was really nice. You don't get that quality anymore.

Just give them their new robes as soon as possible. Will you bound them in plain covers, or will you don them fancy covers like these (https://juniperbooks...-potter-sets/)?  :wink:

The plan is to create leather goat covers for them in a dark brown/coffee color and then have the title and cover picture inlaid in gold.  This comes close to what I am shooting for: Link

This will take time. I am currently waiting for all materials to arrive as I need to do this in the right order. As for the process, I am currently at:

0) Add end paper

1) Edge gilding

2) Create cases/covers

3) Emboss

4) Add gold leaf to the embossed sections

5) Treat leather

6) Bind

As there is a lot of waiting in between, this will be a couple of months.

Hey, I almost left out the most important thing: Welcome aboard! I hope you will post outside this thread too, and will not vanish like the other newcomers.

Thank you very much. I will do my best. :)

Wish me luck.

Wishing you the best of luck!

As much as I have read about it, this will be a time-consuming and complicated process. But the outcome should be worth it. I will post pictures of the process. The gold leaf has not yet arrived.

No need to hurry; I'm sure that you will knock us dead.

As for the paper in general, I personally prefer a very thin and close to see through paper. More like a vellum or parchment. But you do not get this in books anymore. I had a version of the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn saga (aka. Dragonbone chair saga) from Tad Williams from the 90s which was really nice. You don't get that quality anymore.

I see. How would you rate the paper used by Library of America?

This comes close to what I am shooting for: Link

This is so beautiful. My heart aches.

I am currently at:

0) Add end paper

1) Edge gilding

2) Create cases/covers

3) Emboss

4) Add gold leaf to the embossed sections

5) Treat leather

6) Bind

As there is a lot of waiting in between, this will be a couple of months.

How much did you study for the whole process?

• 2 weeks later...

As it's a while since my last post, I thought I give a quick update. Still waiting for some of the materials to arrive. Hopefully, by Monday, I do have everything I need.

In regards to your question on the paper of "Library of America". I think I have unfortunately never owned a book from them. So no opinion yet. I will keep my eyes open for one. :)

As for progress, I am finally settled on the cover and spine. This is a mock-up of what it will look like.

2016_11_12_15_16_14.jpg

Everything white will be a dark goat leather. Everything black will be gold. I am still discussing with myself to have half of the Aes Sedai symbol in silver. I will likely need to do a test on how it looks.

The bands on the spine will be raised.

As for the plans to reuse the original hardcovers, this unfortunately needed to be tossed out. The 15 books are all too different in size (+- 1/8'') so I decided to cut new boards.

My fingers still hurt. For everyone planning to do this... get them cut, if you can. This is no fun.

2016_11_12_15_16_01.jpg

Next step, once all materials arrived, I will start adding the end papers and start gilding the pages. I did some preliminary tests with an egg white glair and was quite impressed with the results. More pictures to follow once I get there.

As for your question on study time, I think I spend a good 2-3 month in reading on this topic. I can't by any means call myself an expert on that matter, but at least I know some traps that can be avoided.

Let's see how many I can find on my own. :)

As for progress, I am finally settled on the cover and spine. This is a mock-up of what it will look like.

1. Where is the 'The'?

2. I don't like the font you have choosen for RJ's name, not to mention its position (don't you think that's too close to the TWOT)

3. RJ's name in different lines? they could be abreast...

Of course, I only see photos, so my opinion is irrelevant.

Not irrelevant at all. I appreciate the feedback.

Here are my thoughts on why the spine looks like it is:

I agree that there should be a "The". It's a space issue I try to balance out. The maximum width is determined by the "The Great Hunt" as I want to have all book spines to look the same. One thing that bothered me the most about the original leather bound books is that they all look so different. It also might be sacrilegious, but I never cared that much about the "The". From what I can see from the book titles RJ also was never sure about using a "the" or not. Book 1-5 have a "The" and starting book 6 it's all messed up.

It would be possible to go smaller with the font size, but this leaves me with the problem of gilding. If I would have all of the fancy equipment of a bookbinder available this would not be an issue, but as I am gilding by hand, I need to have a decent size for me to apply the gold leaf. This is also the reason for the font of his name. The bolder the better. I also decided to choose this one for title and author as it comes closer to the original font used in the books.

As for the title and author to be in one field. This is simple me saving money. They will be first embossed on the leather and custom brass stamps are expensive. If I add both in one field, I only need one brass die. An additional plus is that I can be sure that both title and author are aligned dead center.

You see, I find a lot of excuses. ;)

All in all around 1,800 USD.

Materials:

Books:                     250 USD

Leather:                1,000 USD

Gilding materials:    300 USD

Random supplies:   250 USD

The leather here is definitely the main contributor. The leather I use is 100% vegetable tanned and already paired to size. If one would want to do the work you could use a thicker cheaper leather and pair it. I do not have the tools, skills nor patience to do it.  

Gilding is optional, but I wanted to try that anyway.

Once I am done, some things will be sold off as I have no need for the tools. I expect to get around 300-400 USD back.

Wish I had the patience and skill to do this. Bravo on giving it a go :biggrin:

Stylistically it's not to my tastes..If using a brown leather I would I've gone for one with more texture and toning and I'm not a fan of marbled endpapers. :wink:

Here a a few pics of some custom jobs i've found.

CnaJ3hqWYAAigyy.jpg

11794189_1878681299023013_19258221682354  12819439_1983278685229940_80562411286303

You should post your progress on https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/ as well. A lot more people will see it there.

I agree that there should be a "The". It's a space issue I try to balance out. The maximum width is determined by the "The Great Hunt" as I want to have all book spines to look the same. One thing that bothered me the most about the original leather bound books is that they all look so different. It also might be sacrilegious, but I never cared that much about the "The". From what I can see from the book titles RJ also was never sure about using a "the" or not. Book 1-5 have a "The" and starting book 6 it's all messed up.

It would be possible to go smaller with the font size, but this leaves me with the problem of gilding. If I would have all of the fancy equipment of a bookbinder available this would not be an issue, but as I am gilding by hand, I need to have a decent size for me to apply the gold leaf. This is also the reason for the font of his name. The bolder the better. I also decided to choose this one for title and author as it comes closer to the original font used in the books.

As for the title and author to be in one field. This is simple me saving money. They will be first embossed on the leather and custom brass stamps are expensive. If I add both in one field, I only need one brass die. An additional plus is that I can be sure that both title and author are aligned dead center.

I'm confused. Is each book going to just have Wheel of time Robert Jordan and the book number as per the picture or also the title of each book? As for the brass die/s and cost. You could have one cast and then just cut the Robert Jordan part off making two dies :wink: . Cheaper than having two made or so i've been told. Doesn't solve the centering problem though :huh: .

Stylistically it's not to my tastes..If using a brown leather I would I've gone for one with more texture and toning and I'm not a fan of marbled endpapers.  :wink:

I know what you mean. Was an internal struggle for a while. The reason for not going with a texture is the thickness of the leather. The less thick the better for bookbinding. But also, the less thick, the less texture you get. As for the toning, I will run a test on the leather with a shellac varnish. If applied correctly it should give the leather a toning gradient (aka puddles :) ). I will post some pictures when I get there.

Here a a few pics of some custom jobs i've found.

Thanks a lot. I know of the black one and it was kind of the inspiration for the project. I had not yet seen the brown version. Makes me happy that I didn't go with brown. ;) Also I had originally in mind to add the very same metal corners. I now know not to use these. 

You should post your progress on https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/ as well. A lot more people will see it there.

Great idea. I will do so when I have some time!

I'm confused. Is each book going to just have Wheel of time Robert Jordan and the book number as per the picture or also the title of each book?

Correct. I am very much going with an encyclopedia look here. No books in total are The Wheel Of Time saga. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. ;)

As for the brass die/s and cost. You could have one cast and then just cut the Robert Jordan part off making two dies  :wink: . Cheaper than having two made or so i've been told. Doesn't solve the centering problem though  :huh: .

Technically correct and a good idea. Unfortunately, I do not have a saw to cut nor a possibility to add the handle to the second piece. :)

And also some more updates on the progress. Endpapers are glued in and cut to size.

2016_11_16_08_39_03.jpg

2016_11_16_20_28_42.jpg

2016_11_16_20_28_52.jpg

2016_11_16_20_28_56.jpg

As I have so far only posted pictures of what went well, let's add a couple of pictures of me failing. I did my first approach on edge gilding. Massive fail. The gold leaf did not stick as expected and the bole glued the papers together.

2016_11_15_16_13_44.jpg

2016_11_16_08_39_36.jpg

2016_11_16_08_39_25.jpg

Lessons learned:

- Edge gilding is hard!

- Edge gilding is harder than you think!

- If you fail, you will spend the next hours in sanding the hell out of the pages.

- Sanded ends are actually very pretty and should be done with all the books. (Makes a better fit anyway)

So yes, next step is actually making a big mess in my apartment and getting everything sanded. Next pictures will come in a couple of weeks as I am traveling a lot in the next weeks.

Open items:

- Make rest of the 12 missing cases

- Run tests on embossing, gilding and varnish

- Emboss

- Gild leather

- Glue in cases

2016_11_16_21_07_43.jpg

The gold leaf did not stick as expected and the bole glued the papers together.

A book binder was just explaining the process to me the other day. Wasn't paying much attention but I'm sure he mentioned something about clay to stop the pages sticking together.

Said book binder is currently binding a copy of EotW for me in a brownish leather and also a traycase for it. Will post pics when it's done :)

A book binder was just explaining the process to me the other day. Wasn't paying much attention but I'm sure he mentioned something about clay to stop the pages sticking together.

You can use clay or talcum powder. I wasn't keen on a dusty book afterward and skipped that step. Learned and paid for it. :)

Said book binder is currently binding a copy of EotW for me in a brownish leather and also a traycase for it. Will post pics when it's done :)

Yes, please. Would be very much interested. Will he be using real leather or faux leather? Did you decide on edge gilding? And can you share what you will be paying? My original instinct was to bring the whole project to a bookbinder and decided at one point against it. One new skill for me to pick up if I do it myself. 

Thanks for the detailed response.

Yes, spines are very problematic (RJ's name is smaller on the newest dustjackets), Library of America often uses only the family name.

There were many interesting theories about the missing 'The'.

I like your explanation.

And the endpapers are finally here. Aren't ​they a beauty?!

2016_11_15_14_00_20.jpg

Not a bad choice.

All in all around 1,800 USD.

Materials:

Books:                     250 USD

Leather:                1,000 USD

Gilding materials:    300 USD

Random supplies:   250 USD

The leather here is definitely the main contributor. The leather I use is 100% vegetable tanned and already paired to size. If one would want to do the work you could use a thicker cheaper leather and pair it. I do not have the tools, skills nor patience to do it.  

Gilding is optional, but I wanted to try that anyway.

Once I am done, some things will be sold off as I have no need for the tools. I expect to get around 300-400 USD back.

Wow.

CnaJ3hqWYAAigyy.jpg

This looks horrible.

As I have so far only posted pictures of what went well, let's add a couple of pictures of me failing. I did my first approach on edge gilding. Massive fail. The gold leaf did not stick as expected and the bole glued the papers together.

Lessons learned:

- Edge gilding is hard!

- Edge gilding is harder than you think!

- If you fail, you will spend the next hours in sanding the hell out of the pages.

- Sanded ends are actually very pretty and should be done with all the books. (Makes a better fit anyway)

LOL!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• 2 weeks later...

2016_11_28_15_27_44.jpg

Animus.Tesseract, a question: a few years back an editor mentioned me that their hc books were pressed/squeezed for several weeks. According to forums, the minimum pressing time is a day (under 10-15-20 kg), although they recommend three - five (or even more) days long pressing against warping.

What’s your experience?

WOT: The Black Tower edition

Oh wow. I take this as a compliment!

Plus makes me wonder how a White Tower Edition would look like? All white leather or a multicolored to represent the Ajahs?

Animus.Tesseract, a question: a few years back an editor mentioned me that their hc books were pressed/squeezed for several weeks. According to forums, the minimum pressing time is a day (under 10-15-20 kg), although they recommend three - five (or even more) days long pressing against warping.

Yes. Warping is an issue. The cases itself warp because one side is glued and the other one is not. You can minimize a bit by ensuring to put on the glue with the grain of the board and also align leather and board grain.

The covers/cases that are stacked on the bottom are straighter than the ones on the top of the pile. I am not yet much concerned about it as the cases are not finally glued in. Once done they will likely warp into the other direction and even out. Plus once the final glue in happened I definitely will put them into the vise and have them rest for a day or two.

I will report back on that when everything is finished. I will be more enlightened by then. :)

Archived