DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Any Recommendations of Other Fantasy Series for a WOT Fan?

guygordon

Hi everyone,

My brother loved the WOT series and has already read it twice in the last 3-4 years. His birthday is coming up and I'd like to find him a new fantasy series to start on, in order to buy it for him. My brother is pretty particular about what he likes, so I don't want to get just any fantasy series. Thought it would be helpful to ask other fans what other fantasy series they'd HIGHLY recommend, that would be as good (is that blasphemy?) or REALLY good, for someone who went crazy for WOT. 

Any recommendations/pointers would be highly appreciated. 
And he already read the Game of Thrones series, LOTR, His Dark Materials.

Thanks in advance! (:

This is always a great yet debated question. My very first introduction to fantasy novels was in 5th grade with the Redwall series (Brian Jacques). Even as a young / average adult, there's some great stuff there. It only took me a year to go from that to WoT in 6th grade (1994-1995) and I re-read the entire series before each new book came out, barely able to wait or read anything else. At that point, my sister introduced me to the Sword of Truth series (Terry Goodkind), which I admit I haven't finished, but I had gotten through 3 books by the time a new WoT was dropping and distracted me. He very much might enjoy it. 

• 3 weeks later...

The first 4 Terry Goodkind books are a strong recommendation. He goes off the rails a bit after that (but the first 4 are some of the best fantasy books you will read).

I also recommend two authors that I think are better than Goodkind:

1. Joe Ambercrombie - First Law Trilogy - 1st book = The Blade Itself.

2. Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen series - 1st book = Gardens of the Moon.

My brother also speaks VERY highly of Sanderson's Mistborn series. I've been meaning to start them, because I believe he performed admirably in RJ's stead, and I'd like to see what he writes. 

But sadly, I don't think there will ever be a series I will love, get immersed in, read and re-read and absorb like I have with WoT. Even though it's so popular, it's also very personal for me. I guess that's a bit of a downer, but it's why I first checked out these forums and I still re-ready the series every 1-2 years since I was in 6th grade and it hadn't been completed. (Circa 1995)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived