DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I bought my final Wheel of Time book today... What's the future?

Sad... I finally purchased the Wheel of Time Companion book. I leafed through it, and found some fun details. I know some of the harder-core fans have complained because they didn't see anything new in there, but in a way that just shows how open and honest RJ was about this series. He truly had a passion for this world, and I think thats the main reason why it grew in the telling despite some saying it was for a larger paycheck.

I know Team Jordan has expressed no interest in having anymore books written and that we should be hearing more information on the TV series in the near future, however, I can't help but to wonder if that will truly be the end of the Wheel of Time.

I am certain at some point there will be a massive RPG game designed and released, but will there truly be no other books in the series? Maybe. However, if there is it seems like the most likely candidate would be the prequel novels. Honestly, that is the story that I would like told the most now that I am a couple years removed from reading AMoL. After all, RJ has already written the beginning and basically the ending of this narrative as we know what happens after Lan and Moiraine arrive at Two Rivers. On top of that the series itself is rich in history and foreshadowing. Not looking for any massive, ongoing storyline here, just 2 more novels the size of New Spring to round out the story of Rand 'al Thor. The only reason why I wouldn't want them to is because if they would be popular, which they likely would then it likely would lead to even more WoT novels set in the universe. I think it would likely dilute the main narrative, which I don't want to see. 

Would anyone else want to read the prequels written by a fresh new author, Brandon Sanderson again, or not at all?

It really depends on what kind of notes and information are left to do so. Would I be interested in reading stories based on the notes that include the history of the world, pre-breaking, and other ages, yes.

Would I want to read someone else using the world and setting and making up their own stories within it? No.

Well,

have a look at Harry Potter: we want more books, 5-6-7 books are not enough! (For me the 5th is the real ending) Then - after the Cursed Potter -, oh, no, how do I erase this fanfiction from my memory? Or Jo, give us moremoremore info! Now, there is a backslash, because she proclaims things all the time which were left to the readers' imagination.

Or look at Marvel (not my cup of tea): we want more and more movies! Now, they say: yeah, I will watch it, but I don't really care about them anymore... They are just a long tv series now.

Or SW (I stopped after the first film (Star Wars)): the prequels were horrible! The original trilogy is so dated, we want fresh stories! Now, after the abomination (sw7), and knowing that there will be a new SW movie every year (they will milk the franchise totally dry, you know, it's all about the money), many fans say that they will boycott the new films.

Back to WoT.

We know (from sanderson), that after KoD RJ wrote almost nothing (basically a prologue + a few notes + interviews; its length is an est. 15000 words). After the first good reactions (there were a few of us who did not like tgs/sanderson even back in the days), the fanfiction trilogy became a joke. Of course, if you are a fan of sanderson, don't worry, he will write 50-60 new novels at least, so you are basically set for life.

I know that WoT is a very immersive world, but we should let it go. After a while it/everything has to end. We have 11 books + a prequel, it's more than enough. This is coming from someone who thinks that the early books (1-6) are too short, and read them every year. (Not to mention that RJ could have combined book 7-8 into one novel, and book 9-10-11 into one novel too. But he did not kill Perin, he did bring Tuon into the game too late etc, etc, deadlines, so...)

I think mysteries/open endings are better than cold facts. I understand, that you want to read more about our fav characters, but this saying is still true:

Always leave them wanting more.

If there is no secret, if there is nothing left to our imagination, our heroes will lose something valuable from their personality.

Having said that, I think, the harsh reality is this: after Harriet's death, TOR will milk WoT to the last drop. New books (trilogies, of course), new games etc.

My "advice": I don't know how old are you, but read other genres/authors, read "real" literature for a while, then come back to WoT. And repeat this for the rest of your life.

Don't be surprised if down the road they "find" more notes if The Wheel of Time series gets popular because they're probably are more notes. My guess is that Jordan had a side project that he was working on when he wasn't working on the main WoT storyline. Seems to me that since he had already wrote New Spring that there is more notes for the prequel. 

Personally, I'd like to read about it, or at the very least know more about it. 

It actually makes sense to tell everyone that there are no more notes especially at this point where they don't want to extend the series. If I remember correctly they had talked to BS about continuing to write the series, and he was the first, main driver against it. That just makes me think that there is more there than we were told.

I wouldn't want to read more books from other authors who are going to just make things up.  RJ wasn't perfect and got a bit too detailed at times but I don't want it opened to other authors to just do their own thing.  Just have to accept no more books.

It's understandable BS wants to be known for his own work and not be writing wheel of time for another decade. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love some stories from the Age of Legends, the culture, the history, the people, backing stories for the forsaken and LTT...that would be charming to read about teh great civilisation heading for its fall, becasue it would fall anyway, Dark One or not

I'd love some stories from the Age of Legends, the culture, the history, the people, backing stories for the forsaken and LTT...that would be charming to read about teh great civilisation heading for its fall, becasue it would fall anyway, Dark One or not

Kinda like how "Caprica" was a good idea?

Sometimes it's simply better to not get what you ask for and just leave it to your imagination.

Kinda like how "Caprica" was a good idea?

Sometimes it's simply better to not get what you ask for and just leave it to your imagination.

I thought Caprica was a good show. It just wasn't Battlestar Galactica. Same as Stargate Universe great show just different from it's predecessors. A show/novel about the Age of Legends would have a different look and feel, but that doesn't mean that it would be a bad book. I can read a historical fiction novel about Genghis Khan and follow that up with a Harry Bosch novel and enjoy each. I don't see why the true couldn't be the same for a novel/series set in the AoL.

i liked caprica too,especially the extended 120 minutes pilot,it was a lot 

more..daring than the rest of the show.(i still have it)

come on finny,don't you want to read about lews therin and meirin eronaile

first date?aren't you just a little bit curious to learn more about the "happy couple"

who created a chain of events that almost destroyed the world?

by the way occams,very nice new icon.

if there is any more official books, right now they would likely be new versions (and/or different formats) of the current books.

new material would likely be fan fiction at this point.

new material + official; best chance for that would probably be after the copyrights expire.  not sure if "expire" is the right term; not sure what would be the right term.

by then most of us might be dead or near death; and a generation yet to be born might be the ones to read those books.

Archived