DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wasting Water (atten Chaelca)

Kathleen

Kathleen woke before the sun as usual and puttered around her rooms until she felt it wouldn't stand out to leave and move about the tower with purpose. There was enough being said about her and she didn't need more gossip. As she made her way through the halls in the early morning she came across a young Accepted with short blond hair cut to frame her jaw. The petite young woman spread her banded skirt and gave an almost perfect curtsy. She stumbled as she started to walk away as Kathleen began to address her. The girl caught herself just in time to stay upright and facing the Aes Sedai and held off a blush as she met Kathleen's eyes. 

"Please find Myrrhi Sedai and invite her to meet with me for luncheon in the warder's training grounds. I do not require you to confirm that the message was delivered. I will know that it was when noon time comes. Do not use this as an excuse to skip out on your studies. Work it in when you can."

Kathleen made her way to the warders yard and arranged to have it vacated for the afternoon into the evening. She didn't ask for the whole space, just a corner with several feet space to move in. She had the gaidan on duty set up tubs of water all around the space she was using and make shift walls put up so no one could see in. 

When she arrived back at the grounds she was pleased to see everything arranged just as she had requested. When Myrrhi arrived Kathleen set a weave around their working space to muddle the weaves for anyone trying to determine what was going on. It was much like a ward against eavesddropping, only  it would make it difficult for a sister to see and feel what weaves were being used.

"The first weave I will be showing your today is called Boil. You will remember it from our last outing, I'm sure. I saw me do thiss weave with a large piece of meat and I find that it is accurate way to work with it.” She set the a slab of the deer she had the kitchen staff hold back for her from there previous outing on a plate and laid it on the ground before her, then let herself fill with Saidar.

"Now watch closely," She said as she wove water into the meat until it flowed freely through the veins and arteries inside. With that she began to feed fire into the weave and increase the amount until she could actually see it cooking as well as smell it.

"If ever you find yourself in a position where a fire won't do, but you find you need a fully cooked meal, this will not draw attention with light. And you can just imagine the suffering a Trolloc would feel if you didn't wait until it's meat was was off the bone." Kathleen shivered at the thought of being boiled alive but pushed it out of her mind as she let her hold on saidar go and let the Initiate have her try at it. 

She pulled out a second steak and set it on clean plate before the girl. "Lunch is served," she said as she stepped away from it, "Cook it to your desired taste." 

Kathleen Vandiar
Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

Ooc- Boil: Fire 2, Water 2, Skill 27.

Again, feel free to interact/use Kathleen however you want to help your character learn the weave. 

Another training day had started for Myrrhi. The young woman had been so eager to go on her learning trip with Kathleen that she had woken up way before the sun rise. She didn’t know when she’d have to meet her Senior but she knew that she’d have to meet her that day. So, it was with a big smile on her face that she took full advantage of her free time before the lesson to repeat what she had learned before on a miniature scale.

It was a sudden knock at the door that caused the first and only interruption to her early morning practice.

« Please, come in, » Myrrhi said trying not to show her frustration. She didn’t like to be interrupted but she didn’t know who could be knocking at her door at this time of the day. It could be a Senior Sister, or the Head of the Ajah.

The door opened itself on a girl in a banded dress who seemed to be a couple of years younger than Myrrhi.

« Yes, Accepted ? » Myrrhi asked with a scowl.

« Kathleen Sedai asked me to tell you… well I mean … to invite you, Myrrhi Sedai… for luncheon at the Warders training ground. » The girl blushed as she repeated her message.

This one has probably been raised not so long ago, Myrrhi thought. She didn’t recognized her from her early classes as a Novice. It would explain the amount of red in the cheeks and the stuttering.

« Thank you, » she replied. « Now, off you go to your lessons. I am sure you don’t want to be running late. » The Accepted smiled and curtsied. Then left as fast as her legs would allow it without making her run.

Myrrhi waited for the girl to be out of the corridor before closing her door with a thread of Air eager to go forward with her channeling. She had been so enthusiastic about having a chance to perfect her weaves that she completely forgot about breakfast. So, it was with a grumbling stomach that she left her quarters around midday.

Myrrhi felt her heart tightening when she arrived at the Warders Yard. It was less busy than usual, but there were still some Gaidins around. She feared that they would be able to see her training and was not very comfortable at the idea. She didn’t like to fail, and she hated to fail in front of others…

It was with a huge relief that she discovered that the place where she would have to practice was separated by make shift walls so that no one could see what ever she would have to do. It sent an immediate smile to her lips.

Kathleen waited for her on the other side of the walls, surrounded  by big tubs of water.

The two women greeted each other and exchanged a couple of words. They both seemed to be eager to start the lesson.

Myrrhi’s mood improved even more when she saw Kathleen weaving a ward around the training place. Even the other Aes Sedai would have trouble « seeing » what she would be doing.

The first weave of the day was called the Boil. It was the weave Kathleen had used to cook her piece of meat during the last lesson. The Senior Sister  recreated the scene by setting a slab of deer – probably the deer Myrrhi had hunted – on plate that she laid on the ground. She opened herself to Saidar and invited Myrrhi to watch closely, this time.

Kathleen sent a weave of water into the meat as if to fill its every pore and cavity with liquid then fed it fire until it started to cook.

« If ever you find yourself in a position where a fire won’t do but you find you need a fully cooked meal, this will not draw attention with light, » the Green Sister started to explain. « And you can just imagine the suffering a trolloc would feel if you didn’t wait until is meat was off the bone. »

Without waiting for an answer or a comment, Kathleen pulled out another slab of meat that she placed on a clean plate. « Lunch is served, » she said as she laid the plate on the ground. « Cook it to your desired taste. »

Trying not to think to much about cooked alive trollocs, Myrrhi opened herself to Saidar. She wove a thread of water and sent it very slowly towards her  meat. When it was full of water in her opinion, she turned her head towards Kathleen. The woman nodded in approval, allowing Myrrhi to start the second step.

The young woman channeled threads of Fire. Trying to remember her days in Andor, when she had to cook as a young teenager for her household, Myrrhi sent more warmth to the outside of the meat than towards its inside.

Game is supposed to be eaten with the meat still red inside, she reminded herself.

The result of her exercise was not too bad. The outside was a bit too cooked in some places but the meat looked pleasing to the eye. She grabbed her plate and went to join her teacher.

Kathleen let the young woman eat her meal. She was not one to waste anything, especially food, and it was the lunch hour after all. When Myrrhi indicated she was ready to move on Kathleen stood and smoothed her skirts. "Okay, this next one is rather hard to rationalize using for a mundane purpose. That said, none of these weaves are taught for mundane use, we just can't often justify practicing them for their true purpose. So, what we are about to do will seem quite pointless and silly, but remember this lesson is just to learn the weave, not to actually use it."

Kathleen  embraced saidar and began to pull water from the tubs. "In this situation, it would be quite simple to drown someone. Kathleen played with the water she pulled letting it flow through the air, "force them into the tub and hold them under until the pressure forces the air out of their lungs and water finds its way into them." the water spun in  a loop and Kathleen let it drop back into the tub. "However, you will not often come across the need the drown something while in the presence of tubs full of water." Kathleen walked behind one of the tubs and set up two life sized stuffed puppets she had prepared. They were held up on sticks like the scarecrows she had seen in farmers fields with button down shirts and pants and a head made of an old pillow. When they were ready she addressed the Initiate. 

"Now this only works if your target stays still long enough, so if you're being charged this would not be the wisest to go to. Watch carefully, it is actually quiet simple, but it looks more complicated than it is." She drew water out of the tub and weaved it in the familiar way until a solid ball of water was completely encompassing the head of the puppet. "It might look difficult but the water weave does a lot of the filling in of holes itself," she assured. "You can cover just the head or the entire body. Essenitally you are cutting off their access to air until they drown - no tub or river necessary." She let the weave drop and motioned for Myrrhi to practice the weave on the same dummy she had used.

When the Initiate seemed comfortable Kathleen showed her an alternate weave. "Now, this is quite similar in theory, though different in practice." Kathleen unbuttoned the second puppet's shirt buttons to reveal a balloon filled with air. The bottom was open but the air stayed inside the structure through a simple holding weave. "Think of this balloon as a lung." She said as she began a second weave of water and forced it into the middle of the false man. "As the water spreads through the lung the air is pushed out of it. The enemy won't know what is happening, but soon they will drown from within." Kathleen let the balloon fill with water past its point of resistance until it burst and the water splashed into the tub below. "Your turn," the Green announced.

~Katheen Vandiar

Drown, External (Water 3, Skill 13) the first one

Drown, Internal (Spirit 4, Water 4, Skill 20) the second one

Myrrhi enjoyed her food even if she felt a bit disappointed not to have any vegetables nor fruit to accompany her meal. I will go to the kitchens as soon as this lesson is over, she though as she chewed on the last piece of meat she had placed in her mouth. Or, I'll send a Novice to get me something...a pear, or maybe a bowl of soup? Silently reviewing her options, the young woman turned her head towards Kathleen and saw that the Senior Sister was looking at her.

"Do you enjoy eating deer ?" She asked to her companion with the hope to start some kind of conversation. Since the beginning of these Combat Weaves lessons, Myrrhi and her instructor had not talked much. They had centered themselves on what had to taught or learned and Myrrhi was starting feel guilty about it. It had always been hard for her to talk to people she didn't know but she knew that, if she wanted to be part of the Green Ajah, she'd have to make some efforts and start to open herself to others.

Kathleen replied to her question with a smile. They talked for a time, until they were both done with their food. Then, they stood up in unison. As if by reflex, they both took the time to smooth their skirts before setting their plates at the opening of their training grounds. A servant would come later to pick them up.

"Okay," Kathleen started once she was back in the center of the circle made by the tubs. "This next one is rather hard to rationalize using for a mundane purpose. That said, none of these weaves are taught for mundane use, we just can't often justify practicing them for their true purpose. So, what we are about to do will seem quite pointless and silly, but remember this lesson is just to learn the weave, not to actually use it."

The Green Sisters embraced Saidar and began to pull water from some of the tubs. "In this situation, it would be quite simple to drown someone." Kathleen used the power to let the water flow through the air as if to emphasize her words.

"Force them into the tub and hold them under until the pressure forces the air out of their lungs and water finds its way into them."

The water now spun in a loop and Kathleen let it drop back into the tub. "However, you will not often come across the need the drown something while in the presence of tubs full of water."

The Senior Sister left her spot to place herself behind one of the tubs, from where she pulled two life sized puppets. They strangely looked like the scarecrows Myrrhi had seen in the fields.

"Now this only works if your target stays still long enough, so if you're being charged this would not be the wisest to go to. Watch carefully, it is actually quiet simple, but it looks more complicated than it is." Kathleen went on. Again, she used the Power to draw water out of the tub. She weaved it in a solid ball of water around the head of the puppet. "It might look difficult but the water weave does a lot of the filling in of holes itself. You can cover just the head or the entire body. Essenitally you are cutting off their access to air until they drown - no tub or river necessary." She let the weave drop and invited Myrrhi to channel.

It took a couple of trials for the younger Sister to create a ball as solid as Kathleen's but in the end, she managed to do almost as well as her Senior.

"Let's try something else", Kathleen suggested after a while. "We will try an alternate weave. Now, this is quite similar in theory, though different in practice."

Kathleen unbuttoned the second puppet's shirt to reveal a balloon filled with air. To the young woman's surprise the bottom of the balloon was open but the air stayed inside the structure through a simple holding weave.

"Think of this balloon as a lung." Kathleen said as she began a second weave of water and forced it into the middle of the false man. "As the water spreads through the lung the air is pushed out of it. The enemy won't know what is happening, but soon they will drown from within."

Myrrhi shivered at the thought but focused on her companion's gestures as the balloon filled with water past its point of resistance. It suddenly burst out and the water splashed into the tub below.

"Your turn," the Green Sister announced.

Myrrhi took the balloon that was handed to her by Kathleen. She placed in on the puppet and used a thread of Air to inflate it. As indicated to her, she made a couple of steps back towards the middle of the training space. Kathleen nodded, signaling her it was time to start. She weaved a thread of Water and directed it towards the balloon. Slowly, it filled with water... until it exploded sending its content back in the tub. The young woman smiled, happy that none of the water had splashed on her nor on her companion.

"Have you already used that weave in a combat situation?" she asked.

• 3 weeks later...

Kathleen had been simultaneously pleased and put off guard when the young woman had asked so casually over lunch if she enjoyed to eat deer. She couldn't tell if the girl was attempting to offend her for use of the same meat in multiple lessons or if she was trying to break the barrier of student and teacher, Initiate and Green sister, and connect with her on an Aes Sedai to Aes Sedai level. Kathleen figured the girl hadn't likely spent much time becoming familar with that bond with anyone. It was a hard step to navigate after so many years being so clearly divided from full sisters. She decided it would be better for both of them if she took it as the latter, and she decided not to make the snarky remark that had come to her first: no, I do not enjoy eating deer meet, but I believe we should use all we are given or give it to someone who can use it. She had given it to someone who could use it; she hand handed it over to the kitchen staff. In fact, if she hadn`t specifically ask that they set today`s portion aside she was sure it would have been gone already.

Instead of saying that, she simply replied with a twist of her lip, ``I have grown used to it. I wouldn`t call it a favourite and I have had much worse and much less. Not so used to it that it has become a comfort food, by any means. If I could buy a meal, I wouldn`t choose it, but if I`m traveling away from a village it is always a good day when I find a deer.`` She hoped that reply would suffice, and it seemed to.

Soon the conversation stalled and they finished their meal, then returned to work on new weaves. She was doing well with her drowning lessons and even Kathleen gave a slight start when the other woman`s balloon exploded and water flooded out of it back into the pool.

``Have you already used that weave in a combat situation?" the woman asked. Kathleen met her eye and considered, "I don't know that I could call it a 'combat' situation, but I have used it as an interrogation tactic. Thankfully I didn't have to use it to the full extent we have done to these poor souls," she waved her left hand toward the scarecrows, "but it was quite effective nonetheless. I tend to work more with Air and Fire in combat situations. That is just my personal preference, we each have our own go-tos and that is why we Greens have battle weaves heavily based in all of the elements. Gives each of us an advantage, no matter which we are most drawn to."

She moved on to showing Myrrhi the last of the water weaves, Freeze. This weave is good for keeping meat as you travel, I have to say I use it mostly for that purpose. If your opponent is frozen solid it will be much more difficult for them to bring harm to you. This one I have used to its fullest in combat." she added.

Kathleen retrieved a portion of a human arm which had been severed from the elbow, the fingers were stiff from being preserved by the yellows. Kathleen hadn't asked where they had gotten it or for what purpose they were keeping it, but then, the Yellow sister she had received it from hadn't asked why she wanted it, so that seemed a fair enough trade off.

She gave Myrrhi a moment to react while Kathleen's back was turned. She let herself open to saidar and created an air razor, "Now, these are rather limited here, so I think it best to cut it in half." as she spoke she sliced lengthwise through the limb splitting the middle finger. "one half to demonstrate, one for you to practice on." She turned now to face the Initiate. "It is natural to be shaken by the sight of this, and yes, I can assure it is the real deal, however, saddly, if you do become a full Green sister it will become a common sight to see severed limbs and a lot more blood and gore than you have seen at this Tower. It is a sight you would do well to become accustomed to sooner than later."

Kathleen turned back to the arm and began the lesson:

"This weave is done using equal parts Air, Water, and Spirit." She explained, reaching for each in turn, as she forced them into the meat. "Water to attract the water in the bloodstream, and supplement it; Air to make it colder, until it freezes; and Spirit to bind the weave together and lend it extra strength.”

As she spoke and demonstrated and the weave could be seen taking affect beginning to freeze from the middle and work its way through to the outer edges. When it was done she motioned for Myrrhi to try it and she stood watching, ready to help should she be asked.

~ Kathleen Vandiar

OOC: Freeze (Air 2, Spirit 2, Water 2, Skill 6)

The next weave surprised Myrrhi. Indeed so far, when she had thought about Water Weaves, she had always imagined the liquid and warmer version of it.

"Freeze, that's the name of the next Weave," Kathleen had announced before adding that it was a very interesting one for preserving supplies during travels.

"I have to say I use it mostly for that purpose", the Green Sister added with a smile. 'If your opponent is frozen solid, it will be much more difficult for them to bring harm to you. This one I have used to its fullest in combat."

Myrrhi closed her eyes for a few seconds as she tried to picture the scene. Freezing an opponent can come in handy. It would kill him or at least injure him badly... She thought.

When she opened her eyes, the young woman saw Kathleen retrieving a portion of a human ... arm from a small bag that she had left on the side of their training area.

This is so disturbing, Myrrhi commented to herself. The arm had been severed from the elbow. Its stiff fingers seemed to be pointing at the sky. Where does that arm come from? Myrrhi wondered. Is if from a Darkfriend? I hope that it doesn't come from an Aes Sedai who decided to donate her body to the Yellows to be studied... The Initiate shivered at the thought.

After a while, Kathleen opened herself to Saidar to create an Air Razor. She used the Weave to cut the limb in two.  "One half to demonstrate, one for you to practice on," the Senior Sister explained. 

Myrrhi felt her cheeks turning from their natural pink to a very yellowish green.

"It is natural to be shaken by the sight of this, and yes, I can assure it is the real deal, however, saddly, if you do become a full Green sister it will become a common sight to see severed limbs and a lot more blood and gore than you have seen at this Tower. It is a sight you would do well to become accustomed to sooner than later," Kathleen commented after noticing the Younger Sister's discomfort. Fighting not to puke, Myrrhi decided not to react to the if you do become a full Green sister part of her teacher's explanations. She felt hurt, but didn't have the courage to do anything about it.

Kathleen created the Weave using equal parts of Air, Water and Spirit then forced it into the first half of the arm.  "Water to attract the water in the bloodstream, and supplement it; Air to make it colder, until it freezes; and Spirit to bind the weave together and lend it extra strength,” she explained.

The limb began to freeze from the middle. Slowly ice advanced, working its towards the outer edges. As soon as the half arm was completely frozen, she motioned for Myrrhi to try the Weave as well.

Myrrhi took a deep breath. She imagined that the arm was not a part of a human body. She imagined it to be a replica. Just like painted wood or maybe marble? Marble, that's it... She tried to convinced herself.

It is only once she managed to reach Saidar that she started to feel better. So many things, flowers, grass, fabric started to battle to get her attention, making her forget about the piece of corpse decaying in front of her eyes. Saidar in itself brought her joy beyond measure. Feeling at ease again, she focused on a point in the middle of the arm and send her Air, Water, Spirit threads towards it.  In a  couple of seconds it turned white.

"How do you do to extend the frost?" She asked Kathleen, her eyes not leaving the point she had chosen.

The Senior Sister made a step toward the young woman and gave her more advice. With Kathleen's help, Myrrhi managed to complete the exercise.

"I think I will need to drink some water," she announced to the Green Sister and she rushed away from her newly created piece of ice, to get her water skin.