DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New questions about phones

Niniel

*sigh*

Me being totally dumb when it comes to technics + not really interested in techics + having a hard time making decisions + not being the richest person on the planet = makes it very hard to decide on a new phone.

I´ve been boycotting iPhone so far but the rest of my family like theirs. Now they have lowered the price on iPhone 5s and I´m tempted to buy one. I need a new phone soon because the one I have shows signs of slowly dying. (It´s really old.) Now to my questions:

1. I realise that iPhone 5s is an old model. How long will it work? For how long will it be able to update without getting too slow? Will I be able to download new apps that I like in two or three years?

2. What other phones can you recommend? As you can see above I can´t afford a new model. 

I don´t care much about design or a lot of numbers bla bla. What I want is a phone that isn´t too slow. I want to easily visit my favourite places (like DM), get fun apps (like Pokemon Go) and be able to take okay photos. 

I know this is like the 33rd time that I ask for help like this but help is still apprichiated. :)

On Apple vs non-Apple, it's basically like this: It's normal to standardize stuff you make, so that you can plug any cable into any device. All companies do this, except for Apple, which means you can only use Apple with Apple or non-Apple with non-Apple. Apple IS normally really good stuff though (afaik, I'm anti-Apple myself), but it is also pretty expensive.

For everything else, you're gonna need someone else because I can't help you.

I've been using a 4s since 2014 and I have no plans to get a new phon anytime soon.

It is slower than Mr. Gill's Samsung, but it is also older.

And since I got a phone that was already a few generations old when I bought it, I had to take one with less memory than I wanted, which accounts for some of its slowness.

It's fast enough playing the kinds of games I like, using the apps I like. Internet is a little sluggish but meh.

No sign they'll stop making updates or apps for it afaik.

It's a great, sturdy phone and has an interface that's familiar and was intuitive since I started using apple products.

I do believe that if you're used to android it will take some time to get used to Apple.

I also think it's good for a family to have both types of phones because sometimes some things work better with one and sometimes the other, so the overlap covers most issues.

What my girl left out is that her iPhone takes much better pictures than my Galaxy S3, especially when there isn't very much natural light. I've also noticed a significant difference in picture quality with other people's iPhones compared to my Samsung. And there have been times when she has been able to pick up a signal and get connectivity when I can't, even when we're right together and even though we have the same carrier.

Hm... I really hate making decisions. Thanks for your input. Like I said, I have tried to avoid any Apple products but I got an iPad for work and I really like it. So you think that if I buy one now, I will still be able to download good apps in a few years? My daughter had a iPhone 4 (that got stolen) and it worked most of the time. She couldn´t download iMovie but I think that was all. She now has a iPhone 5 and it seems good. We were really lucky to get those for free but I will have to buy mine. 

I'm Android all the way and specifically like Motorola's. I have an older phone right now with 32 GB of memory which is pretty awesome. The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is it doesn't have enough RAM for PokemonGo. If anything I'll probably go back to a Droid Maxx (100 or so US online preowned/refurb) as I really liked that when I had it but downgraded because I love my old phone I have now for the music storage.

if you like the iPad you won't have difficulty getting used to an iPhone. I don't think you'll have problems downloading apps for a few years. my old iPad 2 is still working like a trooper for someone else, and I got that in 2011.

Mr. Gill is right about iPhone pictures looking better but I think that may be because the Samsung is more high definition which just isn't flattering to humans.

If you want a phone that's great quality and cheap I'd recommend the One Plus 1 (old model). The only differences that you really need to consider if you're not overly into apps is probably the camera quality, battery life, and screen size. 

One Plus screen size > iPhone. iPhone camera > One Plus.  One Plus charger is also cheaper since you can use any micro-usb charger. Battery is replaceable and it's got an SD card slot so you can swap out memory. 

In terms of apps:

iPhone apps generally have a stricter screening process than Android ones so they're often more polished and also iOS versions tend to come out earlier

The iPhone 6 and later have new processors so it's actually possible that they might not be able to run newers apps but I'm just speculating here.. 

What's your price range if I can ask?

Yeah, it's because though they generally have fewer megapixels their pixels are larger and the phone has a better sensor compared to older Android models. Think the newer Android phones like the S7 have cameras which are equally as good as the new iPhones.

If you want a phone that's great quality and cheap I'd recommend the One Plus 1 (old model). The only differences that you really need to consider if you're not overly into apps is probably the camera quality, battery life, and screen size. 

One Plus screen size > iPhone. iPhone camera > One Plus.  One Plus charger is also cheaper since you can use any micro-usb charger. Battery is replaceable and it's got an SD card slot so you can swap out memory. 

In terms of apps:

iPhone apps generally have a stricter screening process than Android ones so they're often more polished and also iOS versions tend to come out earlier

The iPhone 6 and later have new processors so it's actually possible that they might not be able to run newers apps but I'm just speculating here.. 

What's your price range if I can ask?

Tiinker! Great to see you.

Price range? It´s like "please give me a free phone". lol 

You too! It's been a while, hope you've been well.

I think if you're look between €100-200 the best two phones are probably the OnePlus X, Motorola G4 and if you get a used one I think it'll be on the lower end of that!  

I realise that iPhone 5s is an old model. How long will it work? For how long will it be able to update without getting too slow? Will I be able to download new apps that I like in two or three years?

For the first two questions the 5s lasts quite a long time the only thing you really have to worry about is cracking the screen cause iPhone ones seem to smash pretty hard while other brands get long cracks. Should update find and I think app wise for the next few years you should be alright.

any phone you get, get a good case and you won't worry

about smashing it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_20?k=lifeproof+phone+case&sprefix=lifeproof+phone+case

lifeproof and similar types are great. I have sent my iPhone flying across the car at 70 mph without a ding. look for something that's

Impact resistant and waterproof.

I´ve read that people think iPhone 5 will support the upcoming ios for two (or maybe three) years. It feels annoying that a phone that actually works won´t be able to download apps after just a few years. They don´t make things to last, just to sell. :(

Yes, I´m alright. You?

I've been good! Kept busy.

Yeah, it's because the newer apps are going to have to use more processing power and might only be developed for certain size screens and that kind of stuff. To be fair I'm not sure how much that should affect your decision cause Android is going to be going through similar changes as tech develops! I think we're all kind of in the same boat in that regard. 

If you're only looking to browse the web, use your email, whatsapp, spotify, uber (basically all I use my phone for) then I think anyone of those phones will be just fine.

Yes, I´m alright. You?

I've been good! Kept busy.

Yeah, it's because the newer apps are going to have to use more processing power and might only be developed for certain size screens and that kind of stuff. To be fair I'm not sure how much that should affect your decision cause Android is going to be going through similar changes as tech develops! I think we're all kind of in the same boat in that regard. 

If you're only looking to browse the web, use your email, whatsapp, spotify, uber (basically all I use my phone for) then I think anyone of those phones will be just fine.

Yeh, I know. 

iPhone 6 is the oldest I know they sell direct from phone providers here in the US but think the cheap iPhone (SE?) is less than that and still newer.

I looked at the SE. It doesn´t cost as much as 6 but a little bit too much for me. 

Archived