DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Ajah Week of the Greats - Discussion "Game Streamers Online"

Welcome to the White Ajah Week of the Greats!

2016WA_WotG_Banner_zpsl5lglnnw.gif

Discussion: Game Streamers Online

Here, we will discuss those few individuals who feed their gameplay onto a live stream.

Many people do this. Few make it big.

So to start off with:

1 - Do you know what I am talking about?

2 - On which sites have you seen it / heard of it / watched it?

I do!

My kids watch these relentlessly! The stream League of Legend gamers all the time. They really like to follow the championship battles. 

Usually on Twitch or YouTube.

I know what you're talking about. I find it kind of silly in a lot of cases--why not play the games yourself?--but my 7 year old nephew watches recordings of players doing speed runs of Mario games and the like on YouTube relentlessly.

But some games do reach a tier of complexity where I find spectating really fun. Those games usually have actual pro leagues with cash prizes and paid commentators, and they're played on stage in front of an audience, and it's a bit different.

Like when I was playing WoW I knew people who would stream arena matches, and the whole idea was so silly to me because given equal gear--a time rather than skill trait--I could beat any of them once in a while. The game is too simple. RNG becomes a major factor at a pretty low tier of play.

But like, Starcraft 2, match me against a pro 1000 times and I'll lose 1000 times. The physical and mental talent you witness at the top of that game makes it a fun spectator experience. I imagine some of the other games that get big big hype as live streams have a similar learning curve.

That is it, yes.

My brother is a huge fan. I agree with you, shad, in that I originally thought it was silly not playing it yourself. But after watching for a while, I found that it's not really about the game as much as about the player.

The player tends to make silly jokes. The player makes the game seem fun, to such an extent that when you play it yourself, it just doesn't feel as fun.

One of my brother's is this guy on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

If you watch a while, do you think you could enjoy watching it? What does it remind you of?

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived