DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your top 5 actresses to play Lanfear

Elgee

Lanfear's most noted physical characteristic was her astonishing beauty - she was said on multiple occasions to be one of the most beautiful women who had ever lived. Rahvin said that her presence was enough to make Graendal look only 'plumply pretty',[1] and Graendal herself was accounted an incredibly beautiful woman. She was quite tall, a little more than a hand shorter than Rand al'Thor, and had smooth, ivory-pale skin with long black hair and black eyes. She typically wore a white dress, divided for riding, with a silver belt. Her boots also had silver worked onto them.[2][3]

(She) has a husky, melodious voice.

Pick any actresses from any era, alive or not, who you think would be / would have been perfect for the role of Lanfear.

There are a few (not many!) whom I think are very beautiful but for some reason don't qualify, like Audrey Hepburn (too fragile looking), or Aish (looks just too friendly). 

There are a very very few who I think project the type of instantly recognisable, unforgettable, breath-taking beauty coupled with a strong personality which is Lanfear.

My top five (1 being the most perfect fit) would be:

5) Elizabeth Taylor:

2981afaa9afe514093ff72531e86a17c.jpg

4) Gene Tierney: (Her name was Gene and she played in a movie called Laura ... I had to include her :P)

Gene+Tierney+01.jpg

3) Jane Russell:

jane-russell-recording-artists-and-group

2) Ava Gardner:

IMG_8873.PNG

And no-one else could be no 1 ... Angelina Jolie:

angelina-jolie-bw.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems criteria should be beauty, ability to act and not very well known already (unless it's extremely high budget). Must be extremely difficult. I don't know of anyone that I'm sure would be a good choice. Maybe another criteria should be that she doesn't have a commitment to act in something else at the same time... I think a compromise may be in the cards? Maybe she won't be the most beautiful woman in the world, if such exists.

Seems criteria should be beauty, ability to act and not very well known already (unless it's extremely high budget). Must be extremely difficult. I don't know of anyone that I'm sure would be a good choice. Maybe another criteria should be that she doesn't have a commitment to act in something else at the same time... I think a compromise may be in the cards? Maybe she won't be the most beautiful woman in the world, if such exists.

We're not worrying about them being available, or even exactly how tall they are/were - just who has the right look and can portray the attitude. You'll see that most of my picks aren't even with us anymore.

Lauren Bacall

Cindy picks Lauren Bacall.

She definitely ticks the insanely (no pun intended) beautiful box!

lauren-bacall1.jpg

(ignore the smoking, please - it's an iconic photo)

Even though I think she was a bit too obviously blonde, she could definitely do the attitude justice:

bacall.JPG.JPEG

All in all she didn't make my top 5 (too blonde), but she was almost, almost in it. Lovely choice, Cindy!

Gisele Bundchen and Elle Mcpherson would probably have been tall enough and beautiful enough. I don't know if they would have fit in otherwise.

Nightstrike suggests Gisele Bundchen or Elle McPherson.

Let's have a look at Gisele first. I chose a photo of hers where her nose wasn't so obviously photo-shopped straight and thin:

gisele2.jpg

In my opinion a very nice looking lady, but not even close to Lanfear's beauty. Too blonde as well.

Moving on to Elle "The Body" MacPherson:

She's obviously not a natural blonde, but I couldn't find a decent photo of her as a brunette, or a black & white one, so this is the best I can do for now:

elle-macpherson-600x800.jpg

Yah. No.

Well, if the body doesn't have to belong to an actress, and we disregard the height, then I'd say Jessica Lange's mind into the body of Linda Evangelista could possibly make the ideal Lanfear.

Gisele Bundchen and Elle McPherson have acted on screen (and I don't know if they could have acted  well enough to convince anyone they had Lanfear's mind), but I don't know if Evangelista has ever done that. Linda Evangelista is "only" 1.75 meters tall. Jessica Lange could probably act evil enough, had she had the right appearence. 

(Younger versions of them all. Now they're too old.)

Natalie Dormer's portrayal of Anne Boelyn totally struck me as Lanfear material the first time I watched the Tudors.

imagesCAL2TGBV.jpg

She'd be really good. She matches the physical description, and she's a great actress. I haven't seen tge Tudors, but her time on GoT says she can handle the scheming. She's been on Elementary as Moriarty (female Moriarty, don't get me started). If she can play one of the most famous book villains ever, she can certainly handle Lanfear.

But Dormer is only 1.68 meters in height. I think Lanfear is about 6 feet tall (1.83 meters). If they stay true to that description, the actress they choose should be at least 1.80 meters in height. Of course, they usually don't stay true to physical descriptions when adaptations are done. They often disregard such things as eye color, height and so on. I guess acting ability has the most weight when making compromises. Dormer is probably so well known that she wouldn't come cheap.

Archived