DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cuen'd'eren M*A*S*H Event - Favorite M*A*S*H moments

Sooh

M*A*S*H was rather an unlikely favorite of mine. It just happened to be on between two other shows I wanted to watch, so I ended up watching reruns of it almost every weekday. I'm not one who likes war shows or movies a lot, but this one I did like. I liked the humor, the characters, the reflections of the show on war and everyday moments. 

I have to confess I don't have too many specific moments in mind starting up this thread, but perhaps you can help me rediscover some gems, or even introduce me to some new ones?

I'll get us in the mood by giving you the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM42Sp1Pqlo

There is a scene that always sticks out in my mind.

A patient comes into the ER and Dr. Winchester has to choose to save the hand or the foot.  Tired of sending soldiers home with one leg, he saves the leg. As a result the leg is saved, but the patient has less mobility in his hand.  The patient awakens and Charles is surprised to find the patient upset. It turns out the patient is a concert pianist, and now, can no longer play. Charles, in the end, ends up getting him copies of piano pieces for just the left hand. The patient is still upset and Charles then delivers this dialogue.

"Don't you see? Your hand may be stilled, but your gift cannot be silenced if you refuse to let it be. The gift does not lie in your hands. I have hands, David. Hands that can make a scalpel sing. More than anything in my life I wanted to play, but I do not have the gift. I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music. You have performed Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Chopin. Even if you never do so again, you've already known a joy that I will never know as long as I live. Because the true gift is in your head and in your heart and in your soul. Now you can shut it off forever, or you can find new ways to share your gift with the world - through the baton, the classroom, or the pen. As to these works, they're for you, because you and the piano will always be as one."

​This scene as always touched me, and I cry every time I see it.  This is one of the reasons why I like Charles.  He has a rough exterior, but also a very big and caring heart.

The show was a comedy first and foremost but it had loads of real emotional moments. These are the ones that stick with me. The biggest one to me was when Lt Col. Blake got to go home. The scene when radar walks into the OR without mask and visibly shaken and Announces that Blake's plane was shot down was brutal.

The show was a comedy first and foremost but it had loads of real emotional moments. These are the ones that stick with me. The biggest one to me was when Lt Col. Blake got to go home. The scene when radar walks into the OR without mask and visibly shaken and Announces that Blake's plane was shot down was brutal.

Also cry at this scene every time.

Aw... yes...

Radar, so cute...

Henry's speech to Hawkeye in "Sometimes You Hear the Bullet".

Henry: Pierce, is there anything I can do to help?
Hawkeye: It's the first time I cried since I came to this crummy place. I don't understand that.
Henry: Well, Gillis was your friend. I mean, it's only natural that you'd, uh, you know.
Hawkeye: Henry, I know why I'm crying now. Tommy was my friend, and I watched him die, and I'm crying. I've watched guys die almost every day. Why didn't I ever cry for them?
Henry: Because you're a doctor.
Hawkeye: What the hell does that mean?
Henry: I don't know. If I had the answer, I'd be at the Mayo Clinic. Does this place look like the Mayo Clinic? Look, all I know is what they taught me at command school: There are certain rules about a war. And rule number one is young men die. And rule number two is, doctors can't change rule number one.

I really loved how in the last episodes with Frank, the other guys were actually looking out for him and helping him and even laughed with him. 

When Margaret thinks she's pregnant and Hawkeye gives this lovely little speech about how it's wonderful

Charles on the phone/telegram in that one episode where he was trying to break up his sister's engagement and then the fiancee's family broke it off and he realized he was a jerk

So many wonderful moments, unfortunately I have a lot of them down as episode and minute:second mark so I can't recall enough to describe them :P What did I mean by "Charles with the Hat" in A War of All Seasons (to be looked up at 18:20 later)

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived