DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Ajah Winter Carnival - What animal are you quiz and discussion

kukasö

White Ajah Winter Carnival - What animal are you quiz and discussion  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What Winter Animal do you like most or associate yourself with?

• Arctic Wolf
    • Arctic Hare
    • Snowy Owl
    • Penguin
    • Seal
    • Polar Bear
    • Reindeer
    • Snow Leopard
    • Beluga Whale
    • Ermine
    • Walrus
    • Snow Goose
    • Arctic Fox

:biggrin:  Welcome to the Winter Animals discussion!  :biggrin:

61c820b14c2c3c088b38a414d8e9410f.jpg

You can take a quiz to find out what animal is most like your personality:

https://www.playbuzz.com/ekaterinak14/which-winter-animal-are-you

Don't take it too seriously  :wink:

Do you have a favourite Winter Animal? Or associate yourself with any? 

I'll post animal descriptions later so if you didn't know before you can choose your favourite now  :happy:

I read your answers and think for whom did I write "Don't take it too seriously"??  :ohmy:  :tongue:

Tina, if you want to be a Polar Bear - be  :biggrin:

Why do you like Polar Bears?  :happy:

Well, I am from the Land of the Polar Bears after all. :D  It started as a joke. There was someone who asked a friend of mine if there where Polar Bears walking around in the streets in Sweden. I guess she skipped her geography classes. :D

Arctic Hare

67731c269dc1d3ffa0ee97ba2200a419.jpg

The Arctic hare is a species of hare which is adapted largely to polar and mountainous habitats. The Arctic hare survives with a thick coat of fur and usually digs holes in the ground or under snow to keep warm and sleep.

Arctic hares look like rabbits but have shorter ears, are taller when standing, and, unlike rabbits, can thrive in cold climates. They can travel together with many other hares, sometimes huddling with dozens or more, but are usually found alone, taking, in some cases, more than one partner.

The Arctic hare can run up to 60 kilometers per hour (40 mph).

Known predators of the Arctic hare are the Arctic fox, red fox, gray wolf, Canada lynx, ermine, snowy owl, gyrfalcon, rough-legged hawk, and humans. Pretty much everybody I’d say. :ohmy:

Arctic hares feed primarily on woody plants, and willow constitutes 95 percent of their diet year-round.  But they can also eat a variety of other foods, including lichens  and mosses, blooms, other species' leaves, twigs and roots, mountain sorrel and macroalgae (seaweed).  Arctic hare diets are more diverse in summer, but still primarily consists of willow and grasses. Arctic hare have been reported to occasionally eat meat, including fish and the stomach contents of eviscerated caribou. They eat snow to get water.

Female hares can have up to eight baby hares called leverets. The leverets stay within the mother's home range until they are old enough to survive on their own.

There is little information on the lifespan of Arctic hare. Some anecdotal evidence suggests they live three to five years in the wild.  Arctic hare do not survive well in captivity, living only a year and a half at most.

Arctic Wolf

2c86a358dfdb85059a5cc9f1755650a2.jpg

The Arctic wolf, also known as the Melville Island wolf is a possible subspecies of grey wolf native to the Canadian Arctic Archipelago, from Melville Island to Ellesmere Island. 

It is a medium-sized subspecies, distinguished from the northwestern wolf by its smaller size, its whiter coloration, its narrower braincase and larger carnassials.

The Arctic Wolf originated on the Canadian Arctic Islands and in North and East Greenland, hence their name Arctic Wolf. Very little is known about the movement of the Arctic Wolves, mainly due to climate. The only time at which the wolf migrates is during the wintertime when there is complete darkness for 24 hours. This makes Arctic Wolf movement hard to research. About 2,250 km south of the High Arctic, a wolf movement study took place in the wintertime in complete darkness. The temperature was also as low as -53 °C.

In the wild, Arctic wolves' primary prey on muskoxen and arctic hares. They have also been found to prey on Lemmings, arctic foxes, birds and beetles.

Arctic Fox

87d655a8f0ea5d26d66ecf7171b81cf9.jpg

The Arctic fox, also known as the white foxpolar fox, or snow fox, is a small fox native to the  Arctic regions of the Northern Hemisphere and common throughout the Arctic tundra biome. It is well adapted to living in cold environments. It has a deep thick fur which is brown in summer and white in winter.

The Arctic fox preys on any small creatures such as: lemmingsvolesringed seal pups, fish, waterfowl, and seabirds. It also eats carrion, berries, seaweed, insects, and other small invertebrates.

Arctic foxes form monogamous pairs during the breeding season and they stay together to raise their young in complex underground dens. Occasionally, other family members may assist in raising their young.

Arctic foxes do not hibernate and are active all year round. They build up their fat reserves in the autumn, sometimes increasing their body weight by more than 50%. This provides greater insulation during the winter and a source of energy when food is scarce.

They live in large dens in frost-free, slightly raised ground. These are complex systems of tunnels covering as much as 1,000 m2 (1,200 sq yd) and are often in eskers, long ridges of sedimentary material deposited in formerly glaciated regions. They have multiple entrances and may have been in existence for many decades and used by many generations of foxes.

Coincidently, Arctic fox in Russian - Pesets - sounds similar to not PG13 word for "everything is very bad", and if you want to stay PG13 you usually just mention the Arctic fox. Lately it became common to use pictures to illustrate it. So as soon as you see that somebody sent you a picture of this cute white creature you know something is very wrong  :ph34r:

I love the cold because I'm so hot all the time, but summer is amazing! Once the snow is gone and the temps come back up I spend as much time outside as I can!

Archived