DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Star Wars Week--The Force Awakens Discussion--SPOILERS EVERYWHERE

Aiel Heart

They killed Han. *Sigh* had a feeling, and once that conversation started, I just kept thinking "please don't kill him, please don't kill him" and he did HOW DARE YOU KYLO/BEN/JACEN (he'll forever be Jacen in my brain).

We shall honor and mourn your loss... Old friend. (he was around Jedi for years; can he become a ghost now?)

I liked the touch that Leia felt it.

Also, shouldn't Leia have some power with the Force now? She has the ability and Luke to show her the way...

I wonder when it'll hit Ben that Vader turned good in the end....

What happened to the other Jedi that Luke had been training besides Ben?

It annoyed me that Fin was able to hold his own against Kylo when Kylo's been training for years and Fin, while a trained soldier, had nearly no experience with such a weapon.

And Rey! Apparently more intuitive with the force than the others had been. Had she been fighting it so long that it all came to her at once? Did she perhaps have some initial training as a child? What is her story? The no last name was on purpose

I predict that Snoke is actually shorter than Yoda. 

Also loved Maz Kanata--she is added to my list of favorites

Grah so much more but I'll post that for now

I came out of a star wars movie saying "I didnt like it"     and that sux.

i kinda liked finn and rey    but honestly? i didnt think their acting was all that great.

What i HATED was that everything was too easy.

like literally 5 mins in we find out jylo isnrt his real name and who his dad is. then we have a bad guy wearing a mask? so what do we do?? do we drag it out? build the suapense????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   we get a prisoner to basically say why should i   u have a mask on. SO HE TAKES IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also the final win was too easy

i did like Po but wanted more of him 

Han's death got to me. Right in the feels. All the feels. Saw it coming once he walked on that bridge though. *epic sad face* 

I really liked it though, and will be seeing it again either on Sunday or Monday. 

Do you think Captain Phasma is dead, or will she come back in later episodes?

Heart, I can see what you are saying about Fin, but I think Kylo was doubting himself. Yes, he was feeling a bit stronger with the dark side after killing his father, but he's processing Rey's strength in the Force.

I'm sad that we only saw Luke for a few mins. I'm sure he'll have a huge role in the next film.

I watched it on Wednesday.

Very sad about Han.

Agree with Dice that was too easy. How can someone that has never touched a light saber suddenly wield it against someone who has trained for years?

I really like the idea of a storm trooper going against the dark side. It's a good idea, i think.

I really liked the graphics and the music, and also that they kept the format of IV, V and VI. I didn't like the new robot thingy though. Beebee? I kept thinking, "soccer ball!"

Okay, maybe just a crazy theory but I seem the believe that Rey is Luke's daughter... Why?

- Her power in the force is extremely strong, even untrained... This was true for both Luke and Anakin.
- The light-saber called to her, it belonged to Luke and Anakin
- R2 woke up when Skywalker returned... Just not the Skywalker we had thought.

I was hoping for confirmation at the end or after credits but guess I'll have to wait until the next film...

As for the movie in general I enjoyed it and it was good to feel like the new Star Wars film belonged in the series, much more than episodes 1-3 did.

In general there were a lot of things which seemed like they were taken right out of the original movies then just redone with the new generation in place of the previous though which drew me away slightly.

- Han stood up to his son and was killed after destroying the shields... Obi-Wan Much?

- Trench Run!

There were more but I don't remember them right now.

HAN SOLO i'm still crying. Not getting over that anytime soon.

I looooove Rey :) and me and my friend think she might be Luke's daughter too, we just turned to each other in the cinema at some point and nodded XD

Kind of disappointed with the storyline, but meh.

How long do we have to wait for the next one now? NUGGH

At least my bro bought Star Wars Battlefront which we have been PS4'ing the mcjeebers out of since this afternoon >:)

I came out of a star wars movie saying "I didnt like it"     and that sux.

i kinda liked finn and rey    but honestly? i didnt think their acting was all that great.

What i HATED was that everything was too easy.

like literally 5 mins in we find out jylo isnrt his real name and who his dad is. then we have a bad guy wearing a mask? so what do we do?? do we drag it out? build the suapense????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   we get a prisoner to basically say why should i   u have a mask on. SO HE TAKES IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also the final win was too easy

i did like Po but wanted more of him 

I thought the acting was fine and Kylo is insecure and I think that it is a part of why he revealed so easily.

It was also pointed out to me that he was injured and insecure and probably a bit shaken during the battle with Finn/Rey (oh Lee says it in the post below)

It took more than two shots down a hole to explode the mega death star. 

Plus they are setting up the story. 

Poe was good, I agree

Do you think Captain Phasma is dead, or will she come back in later episodes?

Heart, I can see what you are saying about Fin, but I think Kylo was doubting himself. Yes, he was feeling a bit stronger with the dark side after killing his father, but he's processing Rey's strength in the Force.

I'm sad that we only saw Luke for a few mins. I'm sure he'll have a huge role in the next film. 

Phasma will be back, I'm sure of it. They didn't show her die.

Luke will be in the next; he's going to be leading Rey across the universe

I really like the idea of a storm trooper going against the dark side. It's a good idea, i think.

I really liked the graphics and the music, and also that they kept the format of IV, V and VI. I didn't like the new robot thingy though. Beebee? I kept thinking, "soccer ball!"

I really liked that too.

And you didn't like BB8? I thought she was a good addition to the droids! She's adorable

And somehow a she....

i hope theres more fasma   theyve been talking her up and i wanna see her as a bada$$

They glossed her up totally no way she's dead. As I said before, we didn't see her die.

Okay, maybe just a crazy theory but I seem the believe that Rey is Luke's daughter... Why?

- Her power in the force is extremely strong, even untrained... This was true for both Luke and Anakin.

- The light-saber called to her, it belonged to Luke and Anakin

- R2 woke up when Skywalker returned... Just not the Skywalker we had thought.

I was hoping for confirmation at the end or after credits but guess I'll have to wait until the next film...

As for the movie in general I enjoyed it and it was good to feel like the new Star Wars film belonged in the series, much more than episodes 1-3 did.

In general there were a lot of things which seemed like they were taken right out of the original movies then just redone with the new generation in place of the previous though which drew me away slightly.

- Han stood up to his son and was killed after destroying the shields... Obi-Wan Much?

- Trench Run!

There were more but I don't remember them right now.

HAN SOLO i'm still crying. Not getting over that anytime soon.

I looooove Rey :) and me and my friend think she might be Luke's daughter too, we just turned to each other in the cinema at some point and nodded XD

Kind of disappointed with the storyline, but meh.

How long do we have to wait for the next one now? NUGGH

At least my bro bought Star Wars Battlefront which we have been PS4'ing the mcjeebers out of since this afternoon >:)

My friends and I though either Luke's daughter, ooooor (and this is a stretch) that she's Han and Leia's, and Ben's twin (as a nod to Jacen and Jana--Jacen turned evil and Jana had to kill him in the end); both of them seemed to know who she was. Could just be that she was their niece though; I like what Nikon pointed out.

I actually didn't make quite that connection with R2; my brain made it much more complicated (Luke sensed Rey's acceptance and then somehow through some strong connection with R2 told him it was time that wake up and show the map) 

Question though; didn't Anikan's blue lightsaber get destroyed in like Episode 5? I remember Luke having a green one for a while that he'd made (convo with Vader in 6 "I see you've constructed a new lightsaber"); how did the blue one come back?

Question though; didn't Anikan's blue lightsaber get destroyed in like Episode 5? I remember Luke having a green one for a while that he'd made (convo with Vader in 6 "I see you've constructed a new lightsaber"); how did the blue one come back?

The Blue one, his dad's, fell down the shift and into space with Lukes hand in episode 4 after the whole, I'm your father, thing (which if she is his daughter I expect some reference to). Not sure if/how they would have found it but that's what I recall.

well in the EU, the blue saber reappears and is given to leia (thrawn trilogy) so i m sure there s a good explanation for it to resurface.

I like Ren and his bad temper <3

A pity there wasn't more of phasma.

And I really don't like Finn, big mouth but nothing in the pants *nods*

I love it! Yes, there are some things that I think they could have done differently but overall it´s a great movie. I really got that old Star Wars feeling. 

I think it was a good mix of old and new. The new actors/actresses were great. I really liked Rey and Kylo Ren/Ben. I think they did something new with Kylo Ren, he was not just an ordinary bad guy. He was young, hot tempered and insecure. It will be interesting to learn why he went over to the Dark Side and why he doesn´t seem to know that his grandfather went back to the Light Side before he died. 

The movie left a lot of questions unanswered and I hope they get answered in the next movie. I thought Rey was Luke´s daughter but I see that many think she is Han´s and Leia´s daughter. We´ll see. 

I could never think that they would kill Han Solo but when he went out on that bridge I knew what would happen. Great scene for the story but just awful. Han is dead. :( 

BB8 was a great addition. 

I was a little worried that they would end the movie when the flew away from the rebells but luckily we got to see Luke in the end. OMG - why does it have to be such a long wait for the next movie?!

As soon as I get it on DVD I want to check out Rey´s flashback more closely. It went by a little too quick. I´ve seen people suggest that she has been trained by Luke earlier (and that´s why it was so easy for her to use the Force) but that Luke erased her memory. Maybe to protect her when he failed with Ben. I like this theory, we´ll see if it´s true. 

I saw the movie yesterday afternoon.  Being the naïve person I am, I didn't see Han's death coming, although my husband totally did.  I thought Ben was asking Han to kill him and I guess that's what he was leading Han to believe.  I love how Han showed tenderness to him before he fell, by caressing his cheek. I thought that it might be another crack in Ben's "armor" but those of you who have read the follow-on novels/whatever seem to indicate that he never comes back to the Light side of the Force. 

But when Ben killed Han, my first thought was "OH NO THEY DIDN'T! THEY DIDN'T JUST KILL OFF ONE OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS!"  But they did.  :sad:

I liked Rey; I think she was my favorite character in this episode.  I like Tina's idea that she may have received training early but had her memories altered to protect her.  It also seemed that Han recognized her in some way, unless he was just totally disarmed by her technical and piloting abilities.

I just thought of something else. Remember how, in the prequels, the Jedi order seemed to stress "no attachments?"  The Jedi should have been having kids to increase the number of children born with the ability to use the Force. Instead, there seems to be a parallel with the White Tower in that aspect.  Then again, doing so could/would have increased the odds of more children with that ability that had that unstable component like Anakin did and passed to his descendants.  His direct children were strong enough to overcome that flaw, but it appears that Jacen was not. He was "gifted" in large measure with the same insecurities and fear that consumed Anakin.  It's sad.

Saw the film earlier this evening. I would say overall as far as my taste in films go it was "ok" - it had better direction, pacing, and acting than the prequels (1-3) and of course much better effects. the new characters werent annoying and they were for the most part believable as far one can be in a science fiction film (except that kylo ren didn't look anything like either of his parents, poor choice of actor). I liked the beginning best because it was it's own unique plot. Then it turned out to be essentially a remake of episode 4 with some elements of episode 6, with them needing to blow up another death star, I wasn't really fond of that. 

I didn't like how they killed Han just to develop their new villian who at the moment doesn't seem very convincing to me - with han and leia as his parents and luke as his uncle, I really can't think of any believable way he could have gone to the dark side though of course don't know his back story much yet. He also kind of sucks as a sith because he isnt really intimidating (at least one part the film even made a joke out of a temper tantrum he was having) with and especially without his mask, and again, since I don't know his reason for doing what he's doing, right now he just seems like spoiled power hungry brat.

I also didn't like how both Finn and Rey seemed to pick up jedi techniques (lightsaber fighting for the former, and both that and mind tricks for the latter) within minutes, as if it is that easy. Even with the supposed prodigies like Anakin and Luke, still had to spend awhile training to get at all decent at it. i dont know much about the lore other than what i've seen in the films but I also thought that prophecy anakin was involved in was supposed to be a be-all-end-all for adherants to the dark side, least for a long time to come, so the film unveiling another sith or something like it and carrying on the conflict sort of just destroys the significance of the entire series up unto that point.

It still was mostly enjoyable though so even with those criticisms i put it at ok, going towards good. If I was to rate all the films I would go:

4>6>3>5>7>2>1

It was also really funny that they ended the film in Éire - the island Luke is on is actually just off the peninsula forming part of the bay I live near, not too far away, use to be a monastery so the steps and those little hovels are really there, not part of a set. That and with the beard made me think Luke turned into a druid lol

Great movie, all the way through.

Re: El deatho-

I'm such an eternal optimist that I didn't recognize the light saber as what it was until it was turned on - I thought it was going to a grabbling hook, or something, to help Han with the mission of blowing up the planet. Isn't this story supposed to be about redemption? (But I guess that wouldn't bode well for a trillogy)

Also, also, also, I have to say mad credits to Harrison Ford for playing Han Solo instead of playing Harrison Ford as Han Solo. If you look at other actors who return to original characters after 30 years - stalone in rambo, for example - in the later films frequently they are playing their persona as the original charactor. I got non of that form Ford - that was vintage Han, aged to perfection.

• 3 months later...
  • Elgee locked this topic

Archived