DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Star Wars Week - Acceptance is Healing*sigh* Prequel Discussion

Millon

Hello. My name is Millon Daine. I've been a fan of Star Wars for longer than I can remember. I was raised with a bottle in one hand and Bossk figure in the other. I was not born before the release of this legendary franchise but more at the crest of the wave. Well, perhaps not the crest but definitely before the ebb. Needless to say (but said anyway, why does anyone actually ever say 'needless to say? You KNOW they're goin to say it. One of these days I'm going to start a story and end with needless to say right in the middle)  Star Wars has been in the back ground of my entire formulative childhood. Bed sheets, painful halloween masks, thermos and lunch box, stuffed animals, cartoons, Pigs in Space, indoor tents that you would suffer nausea and/or brain damage from due to the plastic and PVC fumes, light sabre battles with curtain rods, etc. . . 

Then, in 1999. . . . I am sure we all shared this same moment. Well, I am assuming you shared it at least. I mean, I guess you're a SW fan too, why else are you reading a topic in a Star Wars event? Written by me of all things?. . . . Back to the point. . . . More than 20 years after the originals! We get our own!!

duuuun DUNNN,  DUNDUDUNDUNNNNNNN DUN!! DUNDUNDUNDUNNNNN dunn!!! dundundundunnnnn! doooo DOOOOO doodoodoodDOOOOOOdooooo! (you get it)

NEW STAR WARS MOVIE?! WHAT?! WHAT?! A trilogy?! What?! What?! A PREQUEL ABOUT VADER?!?! *fall over in shock**twitch a bit**drool a bit**come back to**go about your day**work or coffee. walk the dog**whatever*

Then. . . . . . . it happened. . . . . oh God it happened! *slow breathes. . . . . in. . . . out. . . . in . . . .out* My name is Millon Daine and I acknowledge that the prequels happened. I acknowledge, . . midichlorians, Jar jar, *choke back bile* Hayden Christensen, oh god! NATALIE PORTMAN (you have no idea about the Natalie Portman thing for me). It was so bad. So so so soooooooooooo bad. I can't link this because it's a bit over the PG-13 Rating here but if you youtube, At Midnight I will Kill George Lucas With a Shovel by the Comedian Patton Oswalt, you will know exactly how I feel. 

I have found strength for healing though with the release of the new SW movie. I have remembered the anticipation. The excitement. The new. . .Hope???. . . (okay, that was bad). . . but I remember. I remember my hopes of what I'd see. I remember talking about what was going to happen! "How does he become Vader?!". Then, to see the trailers for the new installment it all comes back. The good and the bad. Will there be a return of the jedi we once knew? (I can't stop!) Will the disappointment happen again? I have to acknowledge that, although so ridiculously bad, it was pretty awesome to see a Vader origin story. Where palpatine came from. Other jedi!  I admit there were some parts of the story I genuinely liked. The directing/casting/acting/jarjareffinbinks was all terrible but the what COULD HAVE BEEN is still pretty awesome. 

In the vein of what could have been what are your thoughts for the prequels? Will you admit to enjoying a few parts? What would you have done differently(not to include time traveling to a point where you assassinate the directors and producers and writers)? Help me in the healing. 

I was raised watching Star Wars on a VHS tape and had always loved the story and wanted to be a Jedi and all of that stuff. I was still quite young when the prequels came out and I remember thinking they were cool because we got to see the other Jedi and seeing how C3PO and R2 met and I liked the story itself. Oh, and I may have fallen in love with Qui-Gon. 

Then I didn't watch the prequels for a while; they just didn't need to be watched. 

Then I watched them again as an adult. 1) in I it seems like Ani and Padme are way too far apart in age and it's creepy. 2) I actually still don't mind Jar Jar Binks; I thought he was funny when I was a kid and now I see him as a character that is supposed to annoy you a bit 3) Ani is creepy in II and he was always more obsessive rather than in love 4) I'm really not a fan of Natalie Portman, and I've not seen anything else (that I can think of) with Hayden Christensen but I wasn't all that impressed by him either

But I do love the story. Seeing who Obi Wan once was, seeing how Ani turned, seeing the Jedi as they were, seeing a universe full of diversity. Yes, it could have been done far better, but I appreciate that the story was unfolded in some way. I hope the outrage over the prequels will help the new movies to be better

I will go ahead and prepare myself to be balefired for what I am about to say.   *prepares self*

So... I am one of the very few people in my age bracket to have watched the prequels before watching the original trilogy. 

I know.  I know!  But I somehow didn't grow up on them, and I didn't decide to watch them (or Indiana Jones, for that matter.  Still need to see Back to the Future...) until I was an adult.  At that time, Episodes 1 and 2 were out, I believe, and 3 was yet to be released.  I watched 1, watched 2, went to the theaters for 3, then decided to watch the original trilogy, to see them all in chronological order. 

So what can I say about the prequels?  There were definitely some crappy parts.  In fact, most of the first two fall into that category - though that Darth Maul fight was pretty freaking cool - but I must say that I didn't mind Episode 3 very much at all.  There is something about the story of a man who is trying to do the right thing (or at least the wrong thing for the right reasons?) but keeps making little mistakes which lead him down this slippery slope into darkness.  That descent into darkness is this horrible/beautiful thing that I really enjoyed.  That moment when he is writhing around with no arms or legs and aflame, you can just see the pain that he has landed himself into... Idk.  That one still sticks out as pretty good in my mind, though I haven't watched it in years, so upon a rewatch I could possibly change my mind.  Best not rewatch it, then.  ^_^   

Having said that about EP3, I legit had very little prior knowledge of EP4-6 (other than the fact that Vader was Luke's dad), so I didn't know that Anakin came back to the light at the end of EP6.  That moment, after having seen the journey from the start and having seen his descent into darkness and his reasons for that descent, legitimately almost mad me cry; which was pretty amazing for me as I don't know that any movie has ever really done that since I cried at the end of Land before Time when I was 5. 

I love Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor. The last fight between Anakin and Obi-wan is heartbreaking. When Obi-wan cried that Ani was like a brother to him I cried. His suffering was well played.

Yoda is great as well. He is one of my favorite characters so it was fun to see more of him. I liked some of the background stories, like how they made the clones etc.

So yeh, it's not all bad. And of course we have the best line ever : "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!" :D

True!  I forgot Liam Neeson.  :D

HOW COULD YOU FORGET LIAM NEESON 

I know, I know.  -.-  Now I'm afraid that he is going to use a particular set of skills to find me... (aka google)

Ha! This came up at my office party.

-> Episode one doesn't count

-> yeah, it's useless

-> meh, liam nessan is cool

-> without a doubt. i kinda want him to go up to the trade federation and say "I have a certain set of skills..."

Hahaha.  It really does suck that his awesomeness was wasted on a movie that was... how shall I put it?  Not great. 

At least we got some solid Neeson in Taken and Batman Begins.  *nod* 

Oh, plus he said the word "midichlorians" in EP1.  Let us not forget about that.  *shiver*

i DID like parts of 2 and 3   in 2 the whole theatre kinda roared when yoda pulled the Street Fighter move     but was quiet the rest of the movie   liked the end of 3

My favourite memory of 2 is downloading it after the video was leaked after the austrialian reviewers primier (2 weeks before US release)...i trolled (ish) a couple of fourms with knowledge like "Yoda kicks ass!" or "that battle scene is amazing!"

No real spoilers because, you know, there was no real plot...

I liked seeing the 3rd one in the theatres, since it was "the end of an era" type thing.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived