DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Star Wars Week: Changes Made to the Original Trilogy

Doselan

One of the most bitter/sweet and beautiful things about working on some form of art or other is that, once it is presented to the public, it is truly finished.  If I publish a book today, I certainly can't go collect all of the copies from the four (make that five... thanks, Mom!) people who bought it and make changes to the published text.  Even if I find some glaring mistake. 

This can be a good thing, though.  Imagine if you did have the ability to constantly edit your every finished product?  Would you ever stop?  At some point, a clean break must be made, and your art must be put out for the world to see; beauty, flaws, and all... Unless you're George Lucas. 

Now listen, I fully understand re-mastering the sound, video, and other technical changes that are made during any re-release of any product.  If you are dealing with something as time-honored and treasured as Star Wars, of course you are going to see many re-releases to get the quality as crisp and beautiful as you can.  Totally understandable!  But when you start making actual story edits:mad:

*takes a deep breath*

But I won't rage.  I won't.  I could start yelling about how Han shot first (HE DID!) and about how Jabba the Hutt was not in the Mos Eisley Space Port confronting Han and how CGI-ing him into that scene kind of kills the big reveal later on (HE WASN'T AND IT DID!); but instead, I will close my eyes and feed my emotions into the flame so that I may reach my calm empty place, just like Tam taught me. 

But that doesn't mean that y'all can't rage for me.  >:D  So feel free to get as shouty as you want and tell me alllllll about your favorite, least favorite, or even the most comical changes made to the original Trilogy in the Special Edition release.  :)

But I won't rage.  I won't.  I could start yelling about how Han shot first (HE DID!) and about how Jabba the Hutt was not in the Mos Eisley Space Port confronting Han and how CGI-ing him into that scene kind of kills the big reveal later on (HE WASN'T AND IT DID!); but instead, I will close my eyes and feed my emotions into the flame so that I may reach my calm empty place, just like Tam taught me. 

I really hate that part. Plus, Jabba seems too small there. And the voice! UGH. Awful all around. 

I really hate that part. Plus, Jabba seems too small there. And the voice! UGH. Awful all around. 

We are SOOOO on the same page

I hated the creatures that got added to mos eisley in ep 4. I watched them all with my daughter recently and i cant help pointing out the things that got added. they make me so new!

the other thing for me is the end of Jedi    screw the other worlds just show me Yub Yub!!!!

Hated seeing Christiansen instead of Shaw as a Force ghost at the end of RotJ.

THIS THIS THIS

HE DIED AS A JEDI 

Christiansen <3

i enjoyed the eye candy *giggles*

Yessssss.  How did I forget this one?

I hated the creatures that got added to mos eisley in ep 4. I watched them all with my daughter recently and i cant help pointing out the things that got added. they make me so new!

the other thing for me is the end of Jedi    screw the other worlds just show me Yub Yub!!!!

All the added creatures.  -.-  Ugh.

THIS THIS THIS

HE DIED AS A JEDI 

Christiansen <3

i enjoyed the eye candy *giggles*

:rolleyes:

The music change too :sad:

I did like that they added the other planets in at the end celebrating. I thought that was nice. 

But yeah, original song >.<

And I always thought before that they should have had all of the other Jedi appear, not just Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anikan. I didn't know that ghosting was a special thing at the time :P 

there is a part in the return of the jedi if i remember right in jabba's palace where in the remastered version they make the singing alien cgi and i think add in another one too. that made me throw up in my mouth a little, not because i liked the original scene - didnt care about it - but the new scene was just plain stupid, ugly animation, and ultimately very cringeworthy. 

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived