DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mistborn: The Original Trilogy is amazing.

Leyrann

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you say his writing style is about the same in his own stuff as in the wot books?

I ask most anyone who recommends his books the same question. People whose taste I respect like his writing. I disliked his writing in wot and never read anything else he's done. I may end up starting one of his other books to figure it out but I hate starting books I'm probably not going to finish, so I keep asking.

What I disliked about the wot books wasn't the way the plots ended or didn't. It was the basic writing style. I couldn't get through a sentence without wanting to edit it or bang my head against a wall.

I do think there was a different feel to the story after he started writing, but it wasn't going to be the same and I just kind of accepted that. It was good enough for Harriet so I'm not going to raise a big fuss about it.

That being said, I love the Mistborn series, and am quite enjoying the newer books too. Alloy of Law was alright, but I'm really sinking my teeth into Shadows of Self. I enjoyed the Rithmatist as well, and am definitely open to reading some of his other books. 

But yeah, I love Mistborn. Actually have used it as a fantasy gateway drug for some of my other friends; they aren't as afraid of it as they are of, say, WoT, but it's still a book with a really cool magic system and a lot of intricacies to the world. 

I am liking Sanderson's writing now. I hadn't read anything for a while then read Warbreaker, Elantris and Alloy of War in quick succession, so I am bound to like it.

His work on WoT feels uncomfortable. Whenever I reread WoT going from KoD to tGS is like a plunge into a waterfall from a slow flowing river.

I am liking Sanderson's writing now. I hadn't read anything for a while then read Warbreaker, Elantris and Alloy of War in quick succession, so I am bound to like it.

His work on WoT feels uncomfortable. Whenever I reread WoT going from KoD to tGS is like a plunge into a waterfall from a slow flowing river.

This just illustrates how writing in one's own world works better because everything comes from your own mind. The writing style is yours and so is the world building, so they will be compatible with each other. Sanderson's solo works benefit from this, but it isn't obvious unless you compare them to his WoT books. I found his writing style to be massively incompatible with Jordan's world building. While there're a few good scenes, and even a couple of excellent scenes, I never really lost the feeling of trying to cram a square peg into a round hole.

Mistborn is awesome and pitched as a trilogy (now quadrology) of trilogies.

The first three books were set in older times of the world (scadrial)

The current set of books is a western type age of the same world

Next will be the set in modernish times

Finally he plans to do a sci-fi/fantasy set with allomancy as the means for space travel.

I just read Brandon's blog on it earlier today.

• Community Administrator

Brandon's Alcatraz series is bloody fantastic! Not for everyone (might be too goofy for you, Cindy), but so, so hilarious and enjoyable.

I loved Mistborn! That said, it's one of his earlier works and shows some of his new-writer tendencies. It's not perfect, but the overall plot arch and conclusion is so well done that I can hardly breathe when I think of it.

Elantra was okay. Way of Kings good, but very, very slow. Second one was much better. Reckoners 1 and 2 were really interesting. I LOVE LOVE LOVE his short story "Legion." The second was good too, but no where near as fabulous as the first. "Sixth of the Dusk" knocked my socks off--it was a near perfect novella; may be the best thing I've ever read by him. "Emperor's Soul" was decent too. I liked the themes in Rithmatist; very interesting take on a hero with no superpowers.

Alloy of Law was pretty predictable. Haven't started Shadows of Self yet, but really looking forward to it!

I think Warnreaker has been my least favorite.

I love children's books, and goofy books. Neil Gaiman, Gregory McGuire, terry pratchett are some of my favorite authors.

I love Harry Potter, the little house series, all kinds of kids books.

The vocabulary in the last three WoT books was NY Daily News level, about 6th grade. It was a jarring change, and it felt very out of place in this series to me. Jordan had flaws as a writer, but these weren't children's books and they were written with a fully adult vocabulary. Nothing to do with goofiness, just a stylistic difference.

I may check out Alcatraz if Mr. Gill has it.

Archived