DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Michael Kramer's voice for Aludra

badhead

TOR should release a new version. /wiki: According to a representative at Audible, the cost of recording an audiobook has fallen from around US$25,000 in the late 1990s to around US$2,000-US$3,000 in 2014./

One voice/narrator AND one inflection (accent, pitch etc.).

Maybe during a release anniversary they might do it.  Or if it ever spreads to TV or Movie there will be more of an interest.  It all comes down money.  If they spent $10,000 each on 13-14 new audiobooks sure that's only $140,000.00, but there must be a lot of interest to redo these.  They redid the art on the ebooks, but I think everyone is done with the series, Team Jordan is getting old and doesn't travel well, no disrespect intended.  Things are done with the release of the Companion now.  It will take a serious pilot/tv show or movie that will reboot the series.  Once Game of Thrones is over, there will be a vacuum for Fantasy.  Someone might buy the rights and produce something which would reboot the books, paper, ebooks, and audiobooks.  

The voice actors I feel did a good job, but who would you like to see do these?  You would have to keep it a male and a female to do the parts, so who can fill those shoes?

You are totally right.

If they spent $10,000 each on 13-14 new audiobooks sure that's only $140,000.00, but there must be a lot of interest to redo these

Don't spend $140,000 on them, spend $2,000 on EOTW and wait for the reaction ("Advanced Hearing Copies" :wink: )

on rebooting:

the UK covers (old or new ones) are pretty good. (Then again their size are too big. To me. I like the small pbs and the big hcs. No middle way.)  They should release a limited series or something. I don't know.

The voice actors I feel did a good job, but who would you like to see do these?  You would have to keep it a male and a female to do the parts, so who can fill those shoes?

Pronunciation, pronunciation, pronunciation. RJ told us:

Robert Jordan

On a lighter note, I understand that some of you are unhappy with the pronunciation of Taim's name.

Sorry, guys, but it is tah-EEM, not tame. Never tame. Not that one. In the same vein, Shaido is shah-EE-doh, not SHY-doh.

For a few others that I understand some folks have trouble with:

Siuan—swan.

Demandred—deh-MAN-drehd.

Seanchan—SHAWN-chan.

Seandar—SHAWN-dahr.

Moiraine—mwah-RAIN.

Mandragoran—man-drah-GORE-ahn.

Maybe I'll give you a few others another time.
Footnote

This pronunciation of Demandred contradicts the glossary.

----------------------------------

A 'good' voice is all we need, plus as I said earlier: please, be monotone. Nobody can (re)produce 100+ (or even 10+) credible voices (except very few people).

I have difficulty with monotone readers. I'd fall asleep driving listening to long books in monotone.

:biggrin:

We must strive to improve significantly this situation: only one version is available. Just give it a try!

oh I listened through the whole series except ToM which I never got on audio. it took over 2 years with a 2 hour daily commute so I don't know if it will happen again, but it's always good to hear new readers.

• 4 weeks later...

Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are the voices of the Wheel of Time. I read the first 4 books then switched to the audiobooks for the remaining. Having them pronounce words was incredibly helpful and they also gave life to characters that I normally would not have cared about and just read through quickly. They got better with time and obviously were vary comfortable with the parts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived