DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Neverland Week] The Ramifications of Not Growing Up (Discussion)

Good day to all the fair ladies and sweet gentlemen who have gathered here today for this discussion!

Welcome to the White Ajah's Neverland Week!

neverland_zpsgwpwt6ej.jpg

Please, take a seat, and be welcome.

As you all know, Peter Pan and the Lost Boys never grow old, for as long as they live in Neverland.

The play version of the original work was also named: The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up.

The starting question of this discussion is then as follows: What do you think the ramifications (long-term effects) are of never growing older?

Please keep in mind that this does not currently include the concept of immortality; we will get to it later.

Index:

Part 1: What are the ramifications (long-term effects) of never growing older?

Part 2: Would you want to live forever?

Part 3: Would your mind grow old?

Part 4: Still to come

True. 

Some positive points is that you may always stay excited about little things, that you later on in life take for granted.

I definitely agree that not being able to have a family of your own, with your own children, would be one of the worst things for me.

Everyone you know and love grows old and dies, but you don't.

Would this lead you to live in isolation? To not want to learn to know anyone?

Is this a good reason why Peter Pan and the Lost Boys live isolated in Neverland?

For me it would. I wound't want to love anyone or get to know anyone and be friends because they would always leave me.

I think I would have to be isolated and be others who were like me, so yes I do think this is a good reason for them to be together in Neverland.

So then we reach the next question:

Would you want to live forever? Would you like to be immortal?

What would you do with your time? Will you constantly meet new people?

Will you travel the world? Will you learn more languages?

Discuss.

I don't want to have immortality. I don't have kids yet so I don't understand that feeling as yet.

I don't want to see the world change, honestly. I prefer the past to the future, in terms of technology, chivalry and overall nature-human relations.

Immortality.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I think eventually one would want some peace even though I have a hard time thinking about leaving the earth someday, a separation from the ones I love.

Okay, so let's say that we stay children forever. 

Do you think you'd forever keep your child-like innocence, whilst in the body of a child? Or would your mind age and grow old as a normal person would have?

The starting question of this discussion is then as follows: What do you think the ramifications (long-term effects) are of never growing older?

Please keep in mind that this does not currently include the concept of immortality; we will get to it later.

Index:

Part 1: What are the ramifications (long-term effects) of never growing older?

Part 2: Would you want to live forever?

Part 4: Still to come

1.) Your bodies would remain weak and susceptible to disease. The human body is strongest from 20-30 (or so, depending on sex). It really doesn't have much strength before puberty, and it quickly diminishes after 35 or so..

2) Really only if it could be done while in "peak physical form" other wise...

3.) I'm not sure about how brains work, but I think that if mental development stopped pre-puberty your mind would be severely disadvantaged, but, if my stipulation for 2 held for 3, then it would be interesting what you remember and what you don't.

As is frequently noted on the interwebs, there is a fear that a mind - and it's perception of time - would be so drastically different as it got older that it wouldn't know what to...all the days would blend into one, etc...

Oooh I've never thought of that... of going crazy, basically.

I thought, if you had a million years or so, you could learn all the languages, get all the degrees possible and start over until you ace them all. But after a while... what do you do? When you've reached the age where all is known about the universe, what do you do? Build a time machine and become The Doctor?

Yes, I thinks it's good.. It's an adult series with some explicit things but they fit within the story. I've read about 7 of them. Some things got repetitive so I put it down for a while and now I'm coming back.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived