DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

SCA WARS

Ryrin

Ooh, war! 

*Thinks* Well, my primary war experience has been Gulf Wars (Mississippi in march is probably a bit different weather wise. ;) ), but things I have learned from any wars or long events: come prepared for lots of different weather! Have multiple sets of garb. 

I recommend doing some camp cooking (or getting in on a camp cooking option if you know people) if you can. It's much cheaper than eating at the food merchants for an entire war! (Though food merchants are generally delicious, you would probably rather spend money on other merchants. Most wars have some pretty fabulous merchant rows, and even War prices are better than Ren Faire prices!)

SUNBLOCK. Bug Spray (just in case bugs in your area aren't dying yet). 

Take paper and a writing implement or two. Be prepared to look at the schedule booklet (of whatever sort they have) as soon as you get it (or if they have it on the website before hand cool!) and mark out the highlights of what you think you want to see and do in advance, so you don't forget or miss out on stuff! On top of merchants, and fighting (there's always fighting to watch, it's war!) many will have classes taught by awesome people, balls to dance in, someplace to hang out and paint illuminated texts... parties in the evenings of a variety of types. 

Expect minimal sleep. Unless you are fortunate enough to get a 'quiet corner' of whereever you are camped, it will sort of be like being in a city. There will always be noise. The noise will just be more interesting. ;) (Drums.... drums..... drums..... ) 

Think about volunteering! Honestly some of the most fun to be had at wars is volunteering to help out. Often you get to watch stuff 'and' take part! Some wars even give out a war point for Volunteering (I wish I knew which ones did this for sure, but it's pretty awesome). 

Wander, have fun! Enjoy chatting up random new people and trying new things. I adore war for the ability to lose myself in the moment, and BE in a novel. 

Find musicians. Some wars will have a central location for bards or performers, some may wander. Camp fires will often spawn singalongs. Many groups are totally open to people asking to join them. Ask your locals who know folks where the good fires are. :) Or what groups love to talk to people they just met! 

And I think that's the short list? lol. But it's most of the important things off the top of my head this evening.  :wink:

I'm here!!! Having so much fun. We've camped a lot over the years so we brought our own food. Forgot sunscreen. Heading of to "Midnight Madness." Shopping.

I got a list of the classes. I hear the drumming and there is belly dancing.

I brought ear plugs for sleep.

Have you thought of anything else?

So glad you're having fun! Oooh, love Midnight Madness! Best shopping night of any war. :biggrin: 

No, not since. I think that was all of the really important things. 

Life has been sort of insane since I spent last weekend baking cake for (and a bride's maid for) one of my best friend's weddings. Our local anime Con is in two weeks, and I'm working on getting my staff scheduled. 

Archived