DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question about iPhone 4S update

Niniel

As you all know, I don´t understand anything about phones, so I hope somebody can help me out. My daughter has a iPhone 4S and want to install iMovie. The phone has ios 7.1 but needs to have 8.3.

Questions:

1. How do you upgrade it? We checked program - update but it said it didn´t need to be upgraded.

2. How much slower does the phone get? Is it worth it?

3. Will her apps work as before or will they magically disappear? If so, any suggestions on how to save them? She has games where she has a high level and doesn´t want to loose them.

4. Anything else we need to think about?

And don´t say that we should buy a new phone because that is out of the question. Up until now she has had VideoFX live, but iMovie is much better.

I hope I get a lot of good feedback!!!!!

Did you check in Settings --> General --> Software Update?

Also, things will look a bit different, but they should all stay. Performance should be better. I don't have a 4s though anymore, so I can't really compare it. Here is a review from April: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/04/09/ios-8-3-iphone-4s-reviews-should-you-install-ios-8-3/

Yup, you update your apps through the App Store but you update the iOS from Settings > General > Software Update. You can also plug the phone into a computer using the USB cable and look for both OS and app updates on the iPhone tab of iTunes which saves space (not needing to download the OS to the device before installing it over the old one).

The 4S is a rather older phone and is somewhat slow, have one for work, but if she is elligable for an upgrade I'd wait a couple of months when the rumors say the iPhone 6S may be released moving the 5S to their free phone, the 6 as their $99 device and the 6+ as their $199 device.  Basically everything drops about $100 when the new generation phone(s) are released if they keep with the same release plan as previous iPhones.

Is it that cheap to buy an iPhone in USA? It´s certainly not here. 

I´ll probably try this on Saturday since my daughter isn´t here now. I just hope it goes well. I don´t want to destroy her phone or erase her games or something like that. I´m hopeless with everything electronic. 

I have the 4S and the update is fine. it's not as buggy as the 8.1 or whatever.

it's not the fastest phone in the world but my speed is linked closely linked to whether I'm

on wireless, which is very fast, or 3G, which is very slow

I have had updates that made things slow, and apps that made them slower.

if you find the app makes the phone too slow just delete it. or delete other apps you're not using. if the phone becomes slow now

and then I usually reboot it and it's better. it tends to get slower just before a new

iOS update for some reason.

oh and you won't erase her games.

if you mess something up you can do the factory reset and then just sign back in with her Apple ID and it'll pull her apps back up from her profile. upload a backup to

the

cloud before you do this just in case but I've not had many problems updating.

If you're used to Apple chances are you'll hate android. And vice versa.

That's because everything apple vs android/windows is built on completely different concepts. Apple was originally intended to spoon feed you everything you might ever need/want and android/windows was more complicated but meant to be as customizable as you wanted.

*nods*

I can't use Apple products for long without feeling that everything is wrong.

Archived