DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Any musicians in the Band?

Shad_

Does anyone else play any instruments here?  Have any recordings you'd like to share?  I used to frequent a gaming forum that had tons of musicians, and we had a lot of song writing competitions and the like.  I miss that!  Where are my Dragonmount bards at?

After a few years with no means to record, I finally got a camera last month, and I've been so tied up caring for the baby that I never actually got a moment to mess around with it.  Well, I actually managed to land an hour of free time tonight, so I gave it a go.  The quality is terrible (I'll hopefully have a decent microphone and some daylight to work with next time) and it was like 90 degrees in my room because I shut everything down to cut out the background noise, so I didn't really mess around with multiple takes, but here's a rough cut of two songs at least.  I'm hoping to have a better go at them later, maybe in the fall when it's not so wretchedly hot.

These are both arrangements of songs from video games.  The first is "Slaughtered Lamb" from World of Warcraft, by David Arkenstone I believe.  The second is "Millennial Fair" from Chrono Trigger, by Yasunori Mitsuda.

i like both songs there :happy:

impressed by the technique on the second song, it's not easy to play like that. I stick to bassguitar, rhythm metal guitar (with minor solo work) and basic acoustic guitar myself. i did do backing vocals in my band(s) too.

The only thing i got are some soundcloud files. A couple of 10 year old demo songs, and a song from 2 years back, recorded and edited by my buddy and other guitarist:

*edit*

i got the files to work, here are:

Christina, vampire themed 2005

Love & Misery, 2005

one of our greatest silly things was a 12 minute song, it's not great quality, but it might give you an impression

Hellfire

the more recent song:

Horus, egyptian mythology themed

Wow, Shad! That's good!

I can't play notes on the guitar - I'm self-teaching and it's taking a while.

So... yes, I play guitar (nylon string, just chords), and then I sing with it. I also play piano (started when I was about... 4?) but I have had a mental block against playing in front of people so that I never went past grade 1. I prefer it that way.

Nice pic, Thane :laugh: (on your SoundCloud)

I love them, obv.

Those are great, Shad!

I play the clarinet. Have played since I was 8. Other than that I enjoy singing a lot (mainly when I'm alone or when a bunch of people are singing).

impressed by the technique on the second song, it's not easy to play like that. I stick to bassguitar, rhythm metal guitar (with minor solo work) and basic acoustic guitar myself. i did do backing vocals in my band(s) too.

The only thing i got are some soundcloud files. A couple of 10 year old demo songs, and a song from 2 years back, recorded and edited by my buddy and other guitarist:

*edit*

Love & Misery, 2005

one of our greatest silly things was a 12 minute song, it's not great quality, but it might give you an impression

Hellfire

the more recent song:

Nice! I listened to that last one a couple times through--really digging the Iced Earth vibe, and it's not a theme I hear very often. Good stuff!

Wow, Shad! That's good!

So... yes, I play guitar (nylon string, just chords), and then I sing with it. I also play piano (started when I was about... 4?) but I have had a mental block against playing in front of people so that I never went past grade 1. I prefer it that way.

I love them, obv.

I like to think a mental block just means you have really high standards for yourself, and that can be a healthy inspiration to keep practicing and experimenting with different sounds, if you put it to work! It took me a really long time to feel comfortable singing around people, and now it's the "instrument" I'm most confident with. :)

*edit*

Love & Misery, 2005

Hellfire

the more recent song:

Nice! I listened to that last one a couple times through--really digging the Iced Earth vibe, and it's not a theme I hear very often. Good stuff!

Wow, Shad! That's good!

I love them, obv.

I like to think a mental block just means you have really high standards for yourself, and that can be a healthy inspiration to keep practicing and experimenting with different sounds, if you put it to work! It took me a really long time to feel comfortable singing around people, and now it's the "instrument" I'm most confident with. :)

to the bold: we made a trilogy of songs, still need to get the other recorded decently. At one point, even vocals would be done. But it's long term

Yep, I play! I used to play the Horn for my job, though in my apartment living its been 1.75 years since I've touched it. (About to change as we upgrade to a duplex later this week.) I also play bass guitar for fun, mostly at church, but I played it back in high school for our jazz band (mostly big band). I've played both in several musicals though, both for fun and paid.

One of these days I should try to find a way to upload a few tracks from one of the albums that has some of my horn playing on it. Not available on iTunes though, so nothing available online to share...

Archived