DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Original vs. Cover: Misty Mountain

For this next edition of Original vs. Cover, we'll be doing something a bit unusual compared to the past... the original is from a soundtrack, and the cover is a remix from the same soundtrack.

In The Hobbit, the dwarf cast sing a song penned by Tolkien himself (although edited substantially for the movie). 

https://youtu.be/v65ffiQvo6A

In the end credits, the song took a much different approach:

https://youtu.be/oDL6HNjZvxk

Which one do you prefer? Put your answer in bold below!

I've been listening this song a lot this week. Must have known :wink:.

Although I adore the instruments in the Cover, I have to say that I prefer the Original.

I adore the deep voices and the "sad/melancholy" feeling in the Original. I'd have liked if they had added more verses to it, such as is present in the Cover. I want to do a cover of it, someday. It's gorgeous!

I love them both, and while I prefer elements of the first one (namely, having the entire dwarf cast and that low, rumbling feel), I vote cover. I think from a musical perspective it is better (harmonies, instrumentation, the background vocals.) I'll admit.. I didn't like it at first until hearing it a few dozen times, it grew on me each time. The "ayayaya" in the background vocals went from annoying to one of the better elements.

I would vote for original if it had all the verses and harmonization... I think the perfect version would be hearing this sung by dwarfs in a different setting more of them, maybe at a feast or something, where they bring in the instruments and really go at it.

Ahhhhh, this is so hard!!!

The harmonies in the cover are so much fuller, and it makes me really happy to listen to-the treatment of the strings is also great. They could have used the violins to be really annoying and over-dramatic, but instead they kept it at that slow burn. I love the slow build in the cover. The second vocal line is amazing, and I like the little nods to the movie version (the very last line is sung by multiple male voices in that same sort of timbre, the anvil like sound just after the ayayaya entry around 1:10 ish, which happens next time that verse comes around again) and I am a sucker for that suspension in the violin line at the start-that first change of the violin note when he says before makes me melt and gives me goosebumps and generally makes me very happy. And again when he says it on arkenstone later on in there somewhere, gah, so good. And Neil Finn has such a fabulous voice. And with the cover and the potential for a more complete instrumentation, you get that awesome bass entry moment, and a kit entry moment. So good! Basically everything about the slow build, starting with just the chord change and then adding in some more rhythmic elements, and the harmony in the second voice, and that gorgeous warm string padding. Yummy.

BUT

The original is so amazing. I won't deny that I have listened to it many, many times. And my love for Richard Armitage runs deep. (Complete side note: I swapped out my Pachelbel's Canon music for a lovely big picture of Richard Armitage so I got to look at that instead of the same bloody eight notes in the same order with no alterations whatsoever while our quartet busked with it every week). I love the simplicity of it, I love the harmonies, I love the gradual addition of voices both musically and for pure emotional impact. There's a lot more feeling in it, because they're acting, it's a theatre piece! Which I love. And bass voices give me lovely tingly feelings. Especially when Richard Armitage is attached to it XD And they got brass and growly percussion, which is always going to be a plus to an orchestral nerd such as myself.

I too would love to see a full version of the original with more dwarves, and more instrumentation. With the opportunity for a full build, that would be amazing.

But I'm going to have to go Original

Also, dem Sibelius strings XD I was so blissed out, and then that oh so familiar sound of dodgy notation software instruments burst my bubble a bit XD

(Complete side note: I swapped out my Pachelbel's Canon music for a lovely big picture of Richard Armitage so I got to look at that instead of the same bloody eight notes in the same order with no alterations whatsoever while our quartet busked with it every week). 

This made me giggle so much, and then I hummed those eight notes... :wink:

This is far too difficult of a decision to make. My equally ardent love of Richard Armitage and Neil Finn cannot be resolved to declare a firm winner, especially as I like the more basic choral version used during the film, but I love the chanting parts in the end version (and Neil's voice). But since everyone is going original so far, I am going to give a vote to Cover.

Me too! Especially when he co-ops with Lindsy Stirling.

I've been meaning to do a gig review of the Lindsey Stirling concert I went to in June (I took my sister as a 'birthday present' for her - but it was really because I really wanted to see her live!)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived