DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time Companion previews

JenniferL

Let's have a thread for discussing them. 

This week is about One Power levels. 

http://www.tor.com/2015/06/24/wot-companion-spin-the-wheel-1-excerpt/

I don't think there's much new info here, except for how many slots the scale has and that strength in the Power is definitely tied to longevity. But I could be wrong. 

Any thoughts? 

Men seem likely to be at least 11 percent stronger than women, in raw strength. Strongest man could lose to the strongest woman, according to what was written (in a duel). Before Nynaeve and company joined up there were 1 to 60 levels of those who could get the shawl. After there were 1 to 72 levels. I don't know who had 60 before, whether it was Cadsuane or someone the generation before her. If it was Cadsuane, then maybe Cadsuane was stronger than I thought. At least if it was linear. Well, Cadsuane was the strongest in a thousand years, so it would probably have to be at least 2 generations ago. She was probably stronger than I thought.

There was not a linear correlation between age level and strength level, unless it was a typo or something.

Also, men generally live less long than women in our world, and most would be 75 years or something even when not channeling. Wasn't it 150 years for attaining the shawl? Strongest man lived as long as strongest woman.

If most are somewhere around median strength, then more than 10/11 percent difference man/woman woman/man generally, most likely. 

There was not a linear correlation between age level and strength level, unless it was a typo or something.

Also, men generally live less long than women in our world, and most would be 75 years or something even when not channeling. Wasn't it 150 years for attaining the shawl? Strongest man lived as long as strongest woman.

If most are somewhere around median strength, then more than 10/11 percent difference man/woman woman/man generally, most likely. 

It was pretty clear: 

There were considerable variations between individuals, but in rough form it could be said that there was a parallel between strength and longevity, minus the effects of a binder such as the Oath Rod. All age levels given were approximations, with considerable room for variation among individuals. For example, at the so-called 800-year level, a person could reasonably be expected to live to between roughly 775 and 825 years of age, with some making it to 850, and a very few making it to as much as 900. Strength level 56(44) was the 300-year age level, 67(55) the 200-year age level, and the bottom level, 72(60), approximately the 150-year level for women. The male equivalents were approximately the 240-year, 180-year, and 135-year levels for men.

72-67=5 levels & 50 years difference 10 years per level added

67-56=11 levels & 100 years difference 9 years per level added

56-0=56 levels & 500 years difference 9 years per level added, but that's if the level above Nynaeve is the 800 year level. I don't know how long Lanfear's level could be expected to live on average. 800 year level could be 900 years as well as 800 years. If Nynaeve is 800 year level, then it's still 9 years per level added, same if 800 year level is the level under Nynaeve..

Well, that's roughly linear, I suppose. 

I never bought into the strenth/power level arguments either way.  There are many factors in a duel or a battle that can be as important as strength.   Determination is a huge factor, fear, competitiveness, experience, knowledge, special Talents, (like the girl who could shield Nyneave even though she was too weak to obtain the shawl), and what you're willing to do deep down to win.  (Rocky Balboa, anyone?) 

Anyway, knowing how strong someone is and how they would fare in a life or death situation are completely different things.  Moraine was able to overtake Merean in New Spring, and that Aes Sedai had a lot more strength than Moraine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived