DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Welcome to the Band Corvhin!

Welcome to the Band Cor!!!  Do you mind if I call you that?

I have sent your usergroup request in to the higheruppers, so you should have access to the rest of our boards within a day or two.

Now, now kids, no Fighting!  We all know the best Regiment!

Why yes dear Brid the Infantry most certainly is, how nice of you to bring it up!!!!

Welcome Corv!!!  Infantry is the best but im pretty sure your going to the Archers....lol.

Archers are basically what artillery is today long ranged attacks, or can be compared to modern day snipers, if your goal is stealth and assaination archery is perfect for that. Infantry is on the front linesonfoot cavalry is infantry on horse back, (I was basically infantry on wheels in the Marines as I drove7 ton up armored trucks) so i know what each class is like for real. And I got to say making things go boom while getting to watch the fire works is pretty fun. You get enough archers with explosive tip arrows and you've basically got the battle won those who don't retreat must be eager to meet the creator because infantry will carve out their hearts so Calvary can trample on it

wanna try that again??  taps foot ominiously

Archers are basically what artillery is today long ranged attacks, or can be compared to modern day snipers, if your goal is stealth and assaination archery is perfect for that. Infantry is on the front linesonfoot cavalry is infantry on horse back, (I was basically infantry on wheels in the Marines as I drove7 ton up armored trucks) so i know what each class is like for real. And I got to say making things go boom while getting to watch the fire works is pretty fun. You get enough archers with explosive tip arrows and you've basically got the battle won those who don't retreat must be eager to meet the creator because infantry will carve out their hearts so Calvary can trample on it

It's not incorrect. Aside from the Macedonians (and this is likely due to an inability to adapt by their enemies), the only time melee cavalry was effective was after the invention and proliferation of the stirrup... Which allowed a rider to effectively stand while on a horse, bracing, balancing, and shifting weight as they would on the ground; allowing for more powerful strikes, better defense, and ability to respond... as one would on the ground. Effectively making them a stationary infantry member upon a mobile unit. Obviously, the stirrup evolved cavalry tactics and weapons that are more specific to being on a horse, (not to mention allowing charges that didn't unseat riders, and allowing weapon retention. There is more than one reason you only used a sarissa once... weapons get stuck in people. And if you can't brace to pull it out, you either drop it, or you fall off the horse) and less like that of an average foot soldier, but the mechanics were deliberately designed to be the same. 

Much the same for most early navies. They were infantry on a mobile unit. You can blame Rome for a lot of that. They had good infantry and lots of money. You adapt things to suit your strong points. In this case, their infantry. And even though the Western Empire was gone by the time stirrups were brought from the east, the mindset was still prevalent, as infantry was still the mainstay of an army.

*giggles and highs five Cor*

Archived