DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where is RJs home in charleston

lpfinch2006

• 3 weeks later...

Never mind found it!!!!

That is definitely something I want to do when I manage to get that way again.  Aside from it being his house, it's old and with character and I love colonial homes.  I am sure that it is only a matter of accessing public tax records under the Rigney name to find the transfer or sale of the property, if it isn't a special request to the tour operators.

• 2 weeks later...

It absolutely NOT on any tours. Harriet values her privacy and prefers if we don't show up on her doorstep. If anyone wants to pay their respects, the Citadel has a memorial set up in their library or you can request an appointment with the archivist at the College of Charleston and view Jordan's papers. Please be respectful of Harriet's wishes and don't go looking for her. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes to see the property, not to bother her or the family!  Wow, imagine the interruptions!  While I do dabble in autograph collecting, I actually don't have much interest in Harriett, no offense intended.  I was lucky enough to meet RJ in person to get his autograph many years ago before he passed away.  I was quite taken with his dedication to his fans and going the extra mile to ensure that all were able to get autographs.  

I am only interested in the overall house, property, and history of the place.  My large interest is from a historical side of things.  I love old colonial period manors and have done a lot of research on them for period pieces I write.  Carriage houses are old school garages from way back for...you guessed it, carriages and wagons, tack, etc.  I don't think a drive along a public road in front of the place would be too disruptive, especially if it is alongside other houses of the same period.  It would be no different from people during the holidays driving around to look at lights and decorations.  Many of those old homes and grounds are meticulously maintained FOR their looks and depending on their owners, many are proud to show off what they have done and talk your ear off besides!  

I like visiting places famous people lived in and historical places in general.  I've seen Lincoln's cabin, sat on the back porch enjoying the river view and speaking with off-duty guides at Washington's Mount Vernon getting the choicer tidbits that weren't being spoon-fed to the tourists, saw General Lee's Arlington, Eisenhower's farm, Gettysburg, Antietam, Independence Hall, and strolled along Market Street in the footsteps of Ben Franklin.  I love...putting a face to History, I guess you could call it.  I'm the type of guy that will sit on the bench in the gallery for an hour studying the artwork around me while everyone else in the tour groups gives it a cursory glance or inspection and moves on.  When you walk through the footsteps of history and you can see it, feel it, smell it as much as humanly possible (I have a pretty good imagination of the battlefield smells and tone that part down!) it really puts things in perspective.  All too often we simply accept what we are shown in books or on tv and it really robs us of the true nature or essence of what it is we are being taught or have been taught.

When I travel abroad, I like seeing everything in balance, from the wealthy areas to the slums, the beaches and places the tourists visit as well as those the locals do.  It really puts the commercialization and globalization of various societies into perspective for me and gives me a richer experience that is far more real that what hundreds of thousands of tourists on the tours and the cruise ships get.  I travel both respectfully and responsibly! 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Charleston to visit RJ's grave, got the name of the cemetery and everything... only to have never actually found it. I don't know what happened, but I ended up on some random road leading to private property, and never actually saw a cemetery at all. I just wanted to visit his grave and pay my respects that way. Very disappointing after traveling all that way, but I couldn't stay due to scheduling... :( I don't even remember how to find it anymore, or where it is.

Archived