DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Would it be possible?

girt

I know at this point it's just speculation, but the world of dreams is full of possibilities. Perrin's ability to see/dismiss weaves just by thinking about it is the one that grabs me, though.

Considering that sort of thing is possible, would it be possible for a stilled man/woman to go into the world of dreams (say with the twisted ring ter'angreal) and manifest weaves? If they were good enough with manipulating the dream, that is. At that point, it seems like a real question would be, would the weaves work? Could she weave balefire? Could he open a gateway out of the dream?

I guess you were referring to Towers of Midnight chapter 37.  Perrin did not "see" the balefire; he only saw the manifestation of the balefire.

I take only channelers can create weaves.

seeing weaves. only current/former saidar channelers can see saidar-made weaves; only current/former saidin channelers can see saidin-made weaves; only current True Power (TP) channelers can see TP-made weaves; everybody else on each 3 can only see the manifestations of those weaves (they see nothing if the weaves do not have a manifestation).

dismissing weaves; people in Telaranrhiod can dismiss only what they can see.

from what I skimmed of Memory of Light; a non-channeler can not imagine himself/herself as a channeler.

I'll preclude this by saying that RJ sometimes didn't follow the logical extension of how a power could work, some things that seem logical are impossible.

With that said, I'm following what would be logical from what we know about T'a'R.

The person couldn't tap into the power and use it. They couldn't channel. However, they could replicate the effects of weaves. Someone could replicate the effects of a Shield for instance, if they knew how to do it before they were stilled. However, it would be a part of the dream, and - like Egwene does with the a'dam with Mesaana - the opponent could make it disappear.

It would be rather ineffective to pretend to channel a weave. For example, replicating the weave for a fireball. It would be much easier to just imagine a ball of fire.

In the dream, you can make pretty much anything manifest if you have the will and skill to do so. But you cannot actually channel, it would only be an imitation. 

The one thing I'm not sure you could re-create is balefire. I don't think you could erase someone/something from the Pattern like that by replicating it in the dream. I would say you actually have to channel it. 

There is a LITTLE more support for the possibility. Egwene, upon entering the dream world in the flesh, decides to not be in pain as she rides to Salidar. It suggests you CAN impact important properties about yourself while in the dream.

@barid bel medar,

"some things that seem logical are impossible".

this is really interesting,would you care to elaborate?

Similar to what Cindy is saying. 

Women can link up to 13, however, men can't link unless there is a woman. Then women need a man to link above 13 and so on. It is alright as an established rule, but it doesn't seem to follow any logic. 

Travelling, you have to know the area you are Travelling FROM, instead of TO. 

In respect to T'a'R in particular, a wolf soul is destroyed when killed in T'a'R. A human soul (while they are totally in T'a'R, so in the flesh) doesn't. (Perrin didn't destroy Lanfear's soul.) 

Etc..

So you can't always apply extensional logic with these things. 

I wouldn't care about seeing or creating weaves if I can "imagine" things into being when I'm there.  I'd be one of those people who "loses" myself to the World of Dreams because I'd never want to leave. 

Heh. Still, I could see it being a useful tool for women to learn about how men channel, and vice versa. If all the weaves are visible, you can see what is happening.

Archived