DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Was it foolish of Egwene and Elyane to assume Rand would kneel to them?

Poorboy78

Part of it was Aes Sedai arrogance, With the tower I assume there was the belief they were going to lead the fight, Rand would how up and submit to the tower.  Egwene was already in denial we saw about having to break the seals.  With her she had no plan, just assumed Rand's plan was wrong.  With Ae Sedai being bonded, swearing to Rand, etc.  the bowing I assume would be to regain some power they felt they had lost. 

From what I recall, neither character assumed Rand would kneel to anyone; nor said anything similar to that.

Only Elaida seemed to assume Rand would kneel to the White Tower.

Only other character to assume he would kneel to anyone seems to be Tuon.

From what I recall, neither character assumed Rand would kneel to anyone; nor said anything similar to that.

Only Elaida seemed to assume Rand would kneel to the White Tower.

Only other character to assume he would kneel to anyone seems to be Tuon.

I remember reading how Egwene felt that Rand had to kneel to them and hope he wasnt stubborn about it. I recalled reading that  a long time ago and that just stuck with me wrong. Same with Elayne so that she didn't seem weak.

@poorboy78,

"same with elayne so that she didn't seek weak".

when exactly did she say it? i don't recall a single incident about elayne thinking or

wishing to subjugate rand to the andoran crown,when did that happen?

elayne's relationship with rand was complicated,as the most powerful ruler in randland

she had hard time accepting that rand was more powerful,influential and important than she,

in fact,she had no idea how to deal with it.

rand's personal relationships with min and aviendha made matters even more complicated,

e.g. she couldn't consolidate a four nation(tear,illian,andor and cairhien) alliance through marriage,

legally she could of course,but rand would have never agreed to it.

so,from a political point of view,the rand-elayne union was a  messy arrangement, elayne did voice her 

concerns to rand  during their private meeting after the field of merrilor"i'm just trying

to get into my head how you fit into all of this.how we fit into all of this".

rand's reply was honest and to the point"i don't know,i've never figured it out.i'm sorry".

for such an astute politician(certainly post dragonmount epiphany),rand displayed an incredible

disregard for protocol,maybe when you're the highest authority in the world you learn to ignore 

the unsavory types around you(rand's words not mine,lol)

@Poorboy78

i think that you're confused about elayne. She said that she would not accept help from rand for obtain the crown, because that would make her seen weak. She never said anything about making rand kneels before the crown, that i remember.

If you read the BWB Rand sounds alot like Hawkwing.  he didn't have patience for people using their positions strictly to gain themselves more power, he virew that nobles shouldn't be above the law, farmers could call a noble to court, etc.  Randsimply  didn't have the time or patience to deal with all the nobles and their nonsense.  He also knew he couldn't have all the nobles mad  at him either or he would be facing  all sorts of rebellions so he had to deal with fools like Weirmon and not just fire him.   Rand didn't respect people who  were willing to ignore the upcoming last battle simply because  it might limit their power.  Or who saw the last battle as  a way to make themselves stronger.  Rand in many ways was a dictator, his word was law. Which in his case is what was needed since it forced people to get ready for the last battle.

Archived