DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Please welcome SEPH to the Band!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes attack on titan is great. Im just ready for some more episodes lol.

i actually just started guraan lagan i think thata how its spelled but its a little weird.

when it comes to college im Ku everything ROCK CHALK lol.

i do root for the fighting irish and the big 12 of course.

i am more of a nfl fan than college though.

I think American Football is the worst, so I'll stick with the anime side of things. :tongue:

For entry level anime (nothing too crazy) Cowboy Bebop hands down. It's basically Firefly before Firefly. And the dub is good. And it's only 26 episodes. And it has a lot of music to talk about here at the Band. If you enjoy that, I'd go for Trigun--essentially a Space Western. It's a bit farther down the Anime scale than Cowboy Bebop, but it's geared towards Western Culture just Like Cowboy Bebop. The dub is also great.

Psycho-Pass, is hard Sci-fi. By which I mean if Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are like Star Wars (Space Adventure), Psycho-Pass is Fahrenheit 451, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (the book Bladerunnner was based off of) or Left Hand of Darkness. We're talking about Sci-fi that exaggerates or focuses upon a certain aspect of Society and examines its influence on society through the exaggerated media. Essentially, the premise is that everyone has a Psycho-Pass, a measurement of their potential to commit a crime. If that potential rises too high (even for just a moment) through stress, anger, desperation, whatever; you are immediately hunted down and put into the legal system, locked up, or killed outright. Aside from that, it's set in a near-future-esque setting, so lots of cool tech, weird new social norms, and someone running around encouraging people to max out their Psycho-Pass numbers and commit heinous crimes of every description, all the while the justice system commits its own heinous acts in the name of "justice" and law.

If you don't enjoy sci-fi, those two may not be for you. If so, I'd try Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood; which is about two brothers who tried to bring their mother back to life using Alchemy (a legitimate magic/science in their world) and fail, losing parts of themselves in the process. They set out to restore their bodies and make amends for their attempt to upset the natural order. It's really touching (you'll probably want to cry a few times if you are inclined to emotionally invest in characters), and widely considered to be one of the best produced anime from the writing, animation, story, characters etc. If you look up anime top tens, Brotherhood is always near the top of every list. The dub is good, and (again) there are a lot of themes geared towards a western audience like the philosophers stone (and other alchemical/magical themes), colonization/annexation/war (especially Russian/German themed events), etc. You do have to be careful; watch Fullmetal Alchemist BROTHERHOOD, not the original Fullmetal Alchemist. They start the same, and diverge greatly near the middle. Brotherhood actually has a good ending. :tongue: I can't recommend this one enough. Easily recommendable even to people who have never watched anime. If they turn their nose up at anime, don't tell them that they're watching anime. They'll never know the difference with Brotherhood.

And last; the Fate Series. 7 mages from modern times are chosen by by an object known as the Holy Grail to participate in the Holy Grail Wars, where mages will fight for the Holy Grail using Heroic Spirits--famous figures from history and legend brought back to life by the power of the Grail. One Mage/Spirit pair can defeat the others to be allowed to obtain the grail and make a wish each. Again, very accessible to a western audience. Your Heroic Spirits consist of people like King Arthur, Alexander the Great, Gilgamesh, Irish folk heroes, Hercules etc. Not only do you get to see them in a modern era, but they get to interact with one another--Arthur, Alexander and Gilgamesh for example, have an entire episode arguing about the nature of Kingship, and naturally, coming from different nations, creeds, and eras they tear into each other quite nicely, well, badly. Whatever. I loved it. Your Heroic Spirits change depending on which series you watch. Fate/Stay Night is the original, it's a bit of a romance, it's a good introduction to the concept of the series, and it unfolds the various pitfalls of the supposed Holy Grail Wars quite well. Stay Night has action, but you'll find that it's not the main focus of the series. On the other hand, the prequel to Stay Night, called Fate/Zero is non-stop action. It takes place during the Holy Grail War prior to the one occurring in Stay night, and when you imagine "war", that's what you'll get here. Explains itself quickly and get on with it (where as Stay Night is all about NOT killing and not allowing a war). Fate/Zero also establishes one of the main impetus behind the series--Point Zero--a point that has created a fractured set of timelines leading to Stay Night, and our next installment Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. Blade Works starts off the same as Stay Night--same characters, same story, happening under the same circumstances, at the exact same time as Stay night, etc. However, after a few episodes you are going to notice what things are more than a bit off, that they are going to snowball even further... and you'll end in a very different place as a story, as will the characters. Bade Works is still being released at the moment. The Fractured timeline also has another main thread that hasn't been released as of yet.... and there is another series of Fate (also another timeline) but it focuses on a different character set, based off of another potential ending of Fate/Zero. It all sounds kinda complicated when presented within text, but the long and short of it is: If you are brand new to Anime, Fate/Zero is the best place to start, then Stay Night, then Unlimited Blade Works. If you are acclimated to Anime, or just inclined to watch the release order (as intended by the creators) Do Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero, Unlimited Blade Works. The Dubs that exist are great, Blade Works doesn't have a dub yet. I generally don't recommend watching subtitled anime to people just starting off, unless you are used to watching subbed media... I just find that people tend to find their overall experience to feel worse when they aren't used to reading and watching at the same time.

So those are my Recommended-For-Beginners Anime.

I've heard good things about Code Geass but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm about to start Puella Magi Madoka Magica... Which is a Magical Girl anime, and on the surface not me at all. But it's also Dark Fantasy/Horror. Which is super me. And it's written by the guy who wrote Psycho-Pass. Also super me. And critics rave about it. I guess we'll see.

And if Kentaro Miura would ever finish writing Berserk, maybe they'd be more willing to make a complete anime of it. :dry: Some decade, maybe he'll write more than a few chapters a year.

i don't have enough time to watch all the anime i'd be interested in watching. Plus, i can't watch most when the kids are around.... and when the kids are around, my wife has the PS4 hooked up to the tv... and watching on a small pc screen... wouldn't be nice..

I am not into anime.... But cowboy bebop is amazing. Great soundtrack too.

Yeah. They nailed the Western Audience with Cowboy Bebop. Not too many anime tropes/fan service that ruin a lot of series (...for me at least.). I try to keep my Newbie suggestions in the same vein.

Gday Seph Im Dice and im the RAL atm   Red arm Leader  is basically the Chief of Police here  so you might wanna stay on my good side......if i have one.

haha im pretty sure i will fit in here just fine. well lets see, I have never been much of a reader usually a book here and there. Then i found Wot, and in turn led me here but lets see here a little more about me...

Im 26, and just recently moved to manhattan, ks with my fiancee, she is the love of my life :) I grew up in a small town with nothing to do... so i took to sports at a young age. Here are just a few i love 1. basketball 2. football 3. bowling 4. baseball 5. billiards pool ( if you consider that a sport) but all in all I love video games, I have actually met my best friends online through gears of war 1. They in turn introduced me to anime,manga, and rp (which im growing more fond of thanks to mat and kronos!!) 

I am a really easy going person, and you will hardly ever see me angry. I really am glad a find a neat place like this, who would ever dare to leave a place with this much alcohol lol!!

Currently I am playing video game on the computer and x box 1. diablo 3, league of legends, madden and much more. 

but yea i think thats me in a tiny nutshell.

D3?  on puter? if your in the americas we could team up sometime.

and i play my first game of baseball tomorrow    tho someone did their best to take me out at training...

haha zander. my best friend is a lions/ patriots fan its pretty annoying. 

also zand im trying to get people on the site to  play fantasy football!! i dont know if you have ever done it? but i want anyone who is interested to play, even if no experience for fun.

I was thinking there could be 2 owners to a team. 1 that knows a little or alot a bit about football and another who just wants to play, to make people work together.

im just worried since it lasts so long though.

there is fantasy football links on this site   go to DM Discussions board

dude i was a 9ers fan through the years between Steve Young and Kap i know bad years...lol ....the Hawks made the playoffs finishing 1st in the NFC West with a 7-9 record one year showing how bad we were...plus with Hasslebeck epic fail quote against Green Bay in the playoffs....I hate them cause their bitter divison rivals....i hate the Patriots because Bill Bellicheat is Satan and Tom Brady the Antichrist!!..lol

Go the PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im a member of the pack zander...

Pretty sure they released clay after 8 seasons with him.m and dice I won, t cause to Mich trouble....."looks around hiding what he had planned"

I have been playing d3 quite a bit, and yes I'm in America's

I believe my battle tag is redwolf#1208 or you can use thetachi78@gmail.com to ass me!

Also are you playing in the college level for baseball or what, because that's pretty Damon awsome.

But yea the packers are not bad I thin a Rodgers is probably thr best quarterback in the league, I usually try to get him in fantasy lol. Ill have to go check out the links!

Pretty sure they released clay after 8 seasons with him.m and dice I won, t cause to Mich trouble....."looks around hiding what he had planned"

I have been playing d3 quite a bit, and yes I'm in America's

I believe my battle tag is redwolf#1208 or you can use thetachi78@gmail.com to ass me!

Also are you playing in the college level for baseball or what, because that's pretty Damon awsome.

But yea the packers are not bad I thin a Rodgers is probably thr best quarterback in the league, I usually try to get him in fantasy lol. Ill have to go check out the links!

They did WHAT!!!!! nonononononononononono!!!!  You better be lieing to me Seph!

As for Baseball   im in Oz seph we dont have college ball here and im too old anyways. It went ok I was cutting off a ball      that i shouldnt have HAD to go for  and it suddenly slowed down making me go past it. i scooped it with my bare hand and fell face forward but managed to underarm it to second   where it was to go  before hitting the ground lol

missed a catch due to my sore foot as well    batting didnt really work for me this week  strike out then a crappy fly straight to the pitcher

Archived