DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I have a NEW COMPUTER!! Sort of.

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro, and it was running like a dinosaur. After talking to the IT guy at work and someone else who did it, I followed the advice of a CNET.com article I read and upgraded my HDD to an SSD. And just like that, my computer is faster than it ever was when it was brand new... 

Not only can I now open a program and not wait a couple minutes for it top open, but I can switch users, having everything fully functioning in 7 seconds (previously 2-5 minutes). Which means DM is now FAR more accessible...

*does a happy dance*

(So if you don't know... an SSD is a hard drive that has no moving parts, so it is more efficient and eliminates the need for you PC users to do a defrag. I put the CNET article on my iPad and followed its instructions to open up my computer and do the surgery.)

SSD's are great for desktops and laptops... Actually good for about everything except servers and that is only because the data on old platter drives can sometimes be recovered even after a crash or fire... just takes a lot of $$$.

SSD's are kind of like big flash drives so if one dies then the data is GONE!

But with a desktop or laptop you have less CRITICAL data and can always backup anything that is critical to an external drive in case of disaster.

*makes mental note to ask Nikon for advice before buying anything computer related next time*

Orange confetti? We better make some then... Come on, Dar!

Orange confetti is always fun! I can't wait! This has been my most taxing term to date in grad school!

So besides an SSD (I got a Samsung Evo 850, which was temporarily reduced in price to $188 when I bought it), I also got a hard drive casing instead of a dock for when I copied my old one to the new one. The end result: My old hard drive is now an external backup, a clone whose only difference is being slow.

Oh you lucky so and so. I'd love to have a SSD. Saving up for one as they're still fairly pricey here. Big pats on the back for the upcoming graduation too. Well done you. :smile:

Archived