DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

(Nov. 6 2015) Bond: Spectre

Basel Gill

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let me qualify that.  I enjoyed Bardem as the villain but he didn't feel very….dark in a sense.  The danger never felt properly translated off the screen.  Skyfall was grand and operatic but I would prefer to see a new film more akin to Royale - I thought those set pieces were fantastic and the villain felt more real, more visceral.

I also don't want the over-the-top moments of brevity and comedy that stem from the Moore era, but a touch more humor without the dark and personal sarcasm wouldn't be amiss.  I liked a lot of moments of Connery and Brosnan, never saw the Dalton movies, but I also liked the locales of Moore.

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pmyrc-OJPw

A new trailer, and an officially released plot summary too.

A cryptic message from the past sends James Bond on a rogue mission to Mexico City and eventually Rome, where he meets Lucia Sciarra (Monica Bellucci), the beautiful and forbidden widow of an infamous criminal. Bond infiltrates a secret meeting and uncovers the existence of the sinister organisation known as SPECTRE.

Meanwhile back in London, Max Denbigh (Andrew Scott), the new head of the Centre for National Security, questions Bond’s actions and challenges the relevance of MI6, led by M (Ralph Fiennes). Bond covertly enlists Moneypenny (Naomie Harris) and Q (Ben Whishaw) to help him seek out Madeleine Swann (Léa Seydoux), the daughter of his old nemesis Mr White (Jesper Christensen), who may hold the clue to untangling the web of SPECTRE. As the daughter of an assassin, she understands Bond in a way most others cannot.

As Bond ventures towards the heart of SPECTRE, he learns of a chilling connection between himself and the enemy he seeks, played by Christoph Waltz.

If there's anything I have doubts about, it's that the idea of Bond going rogue is getting overdone. By my count, this will be the fourth time in 24 movies they've gone there to some extent. And they just used this in Quantum of Solace, so that's two out of the last three.

Other thoughts: ooh, Andrew Scott, Moriarty himself. The car looks cool. And while I firgured they would be bringing Mr. White back sometime, are they gonna tie the QUANTUM organization into this plot or just retcon it into SPECTRE?

• 1 month later...

So they've announced that the theme song will be performed by Sam Smith, one of the artists gossip has been connecting to the movie for a few months now. My main reaction is to wonder who the bloody flaming ashes that is and Google his name. This is the first time since The World Is Not Enough (done by the band Garbage) that I've never even heard of the theme song artist at the time.

The song is supposed to be called Writing's on the Wall. So while the word spectre might be worked into the lyrics somehow (it's happened previously), I'm guessing this will be the third time in four movies where the theme song has nothing to do with the movie title. They haven't exactly been using movie titles easily adapted to songs, but it's still an interesting pattern.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived