DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Psycho - A Sketchy SK Event is Over

Darthe

Just wanna welcome the newbies to their first Mafia experience, I think you'll discover soon how fun and addicting it can be. Don't lose too much sleep dwelling on the game :wink:

For now I have the worst feeling about Turin. [v]##Turin[/v] Gonna keep an eye on how he handles Ithi this game, that can usually be a pretty big indicator of which side he's playing on. I think some of the questions he's posed are a bit off.

Ithi seems to be playing her town game which is based mostly on intuition from my experience. Clov seems to be driving discussion and I can't really fault him for looking askance at Ithi if he hasn't played with her before. A lot of her arguments are going to be that way, for the record.

Sooh seems to be pretty level headed for a newbie, so hopefully I'll be able to figure her out before too long. New players usually read sort of scummy to way by nature, and the running commentary post she made is a good example as to what, but I'm willing to observe her for a while until things get going so I can gauge her better.

Beyond that I don't have anything else to comment on. Let's see how things shake out

There is that "bit off" line again. Could you be any buddier to Dice? Which questions and why are they "off"? Ambiguous push is ambiguous.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you elaborate on the Turin thing, AJ?  I don't think I've played with EITHER of them, so I'd appreciate it if you can explain how you think Town!Turin would approach her - and more importantly, how it differs from what he's been doing here.

I thought his questions were pretty decent.  Timing aside, him asking me to elaborate on the Dice/RTE reads was perfectly acceptable IMO and I appreciated him questioning me about Ithi.  

I haven't seen much by way of them interacting thus far, so I couldn't really provide a difference yet. They play sort of like Leelou and Verb do to give you something to compare it with. Turin is usually pretty quick to side with Ithi regardless of his alignment, so that in itself isn't very indicative. Basically what it boils down to is that you have to decide if you think he's doing this from the perspective that he is genuinely town reading her or working from the position that he already knows that she is town. This, of course, is dependent on Ithi actually being a villager - but I think you catch my drift.

I can't really explain too much what I didn't like about his questions other than to say that they felt 'off' to me. Basically gut feelz. From my experience with Turin he can be very obviously town and a strong asset to the team but at the same time stands out pretty clearly when he's mafia. I've got a limited sample size so far in this game but to me he sounds guarded.

That's all pretty fair.  To follow up with the bold, the only thing that stood out to me was how he kind of guided me towards an answer, about the inactives.

Clov, what do you think about the people that just dropped in and then took off again?

Dice only made his joke vote on AJ

RTE basically only dropped the either or statement

Tress just noted that Ithi and I are always town, and have the siggy to pronounce it.

Which of those actions seems the most suspect to you? Why?

The first question is pretty straight forward.  However, he specifies three people, leaving a couple off (Leyrann, like I pointed out earlier, but Sooh as well).  And the final question basically gives the answer that I feel at least one of them is scummy for me, even if I hadn't.

Ithi is always town until proven otherwise. It is simple numbers. I don't even know the last game she was mafia in. Maybe WWII which was ages ago. Add that IMO she is about the best player I know I will side with her unless it becomes fairly obvious she is not town. So sue me. 

@ AJ, I find it odd that you list me as being an obvious townie when I have been lynched as town a fair amount. It must be because my questions are so sinister. I will broadcast as ridiculous town when it serves a purpose. I think the last time i did was in the Sherlock Holmes game due to the mechanics of the roles Pral and I had. ( i was basically trying to draw the mafia kill from the outset because I was protected early at least)  

I found Tress' response to be more likely to come from a mafiosa than not so my bias was included into the question. I wanted to see what you had to say about them as at the time it was one of the few things to discuss.

I think I already addressed Ley and Sooh as null to me which is why I didn't include them.    

So are you claiming that Clov is misleading here Turin? Or just not expressing his views clearly?

It reads to me that Clov is trying to have it both ways. On one hand claiming that Ithi must be town and trying to imply that he is by association in the "we" comment. On the other putting her forth as his best guess for mafia at this time. Then again stating that Dice, RTE, and Tress are not suspicious but asking the question about them both as mafia and SK.

Bottom line is that it could be either but until shown otherwise I lean towards the former. Maybe he can clear this up for me. 

In other news, I'm also comfortable giving a tentative town read on Dicetastic.

Still formulating opinions on others.

I'm also mentally wiped out from an emotional scene caused by a 2-1/2 year old who did NOT WANT ME TO LEAVE after my weekend visit, followed immediately by a 1-1/2 hour drive down a twisty mountain road in the rain, so I plan to vegetate until bedtime and not think if I can avoid it.

First!

Vote #AJ  Im not mafia for once in a Darthe game so he MUST be!

But if you aren't, then I can't be either!

I think Dice is highly likely to be town.  RTE to a lesser degree

I agree with Dice. Not so much with RTE - I'll need some time and content to flesh him out, but he's usually a hard read for me as it is.

Clov, what do you think about the people that just dropped in and then took off again?

Tress just noted that Ithi and I are always town, and have the siggy to pronounce it.

Bit dramatic. It's a Sunday after all (and I'm even working :sad: )

Not a bad response to the question imo.

Well this is a lovely mess already... There are a few things to be noticed, but not much to me just yet. That may or may not be my lack of experience playing this game speaking...

So far Dice came in swinging high from the get-go, which I assume he would have done regardless of his affiliation, so not much there. RTE is poking people's buttons apparently, to get a reaction and gets it big time from Ithillian, and then Clovdy jumps right back at that, as if waiting for someone to launch at... My vote shall have to wait a tad longer...

Why would you assume this?

Well this is a lovely mess already... There are a few things to be noticed, but not much to me just yet. That may or may not be my lack of experience playing this game speaking...

So far Dice came in swinging high from the get-go, which I assume he would have done regardless of his affiliation, so not much there. RTE is poking people's buttons apparently, to get a reaction and gets it big time from Ithillian, and then Clovdy jumps right back at that, as if waiting for someone to launch at... My vote shall have to wait a tad longer...

Is this your first time playing?

What's your opinion on the post? I think I see why you might've asked this.

really hard to do anything else if noones around turin.

theres something about this post thats bugging me. it feels off. and its not that he missed ley cause i didnt notice that til clov bought it up either. it feels like a "lets look another way" post but its so early in the game it could be for legitimate reasons.

Pretty much the definition of a town!Dice post imo. Glad to see that :biggrin:

Turin reads to me a bit guarded as well, the way he's posing his questions feels kinda... sinister.

Since Tina asked (large picture)

A simple, "how-to" guide on Clov's alignment, presented in flowchart form.

TLDspbu.png

Way to steal my thunder, dude.

*runs through the front door hopping on one foot trying to finish buttoning his pants up, shoes unlaced and the buttons on his shirt are misaligned*

I'm here, i was busy with the wife putting furniture together that she just had to get this morning. 

I have to read to catch up on the bulk of what happened but I'm present now so please continue. 

I know the feeling :dry:

1. Why can't you be? is this supposed to be some sort of a secret handshake? otherwise it reads as buddying Dice.

2. This looks like more Dice buddying. With a added dose of RTE distance. "he's a hard read for me" sounds like an excuse to not take a position later.

3. Yet his response sounds good. Sounds like a reason to pad his townieness to choose someone else over him if it comes down to it.

4. Me too's Dice although states that my questions are guarded. Dice didn't mention that. The sinister line is pure theatrics. The reason for pointed even possibly leading questions is to gain insight into the person asked. You know this so it is odd you are taking this stance. At least to me.

the rest is fluff, Besides assembling furniture is a joy. You start with lots of flat wood and end up with a bookcase or a TV stand or something else that is useful. 

1. Even if Dice and I had a secret handshake, we wouldn't show you :wink: And no, it's nothing like that. Mostly me responding in jest to somewhat of an in-joke we had revolving around Darthe's last game that I missed where we were randed as mafia together with Lenlo.

2. You don't need to worry about me taking stances, you'll get plenty of that as things develop. My vote on you is the first one I've taken if that gives you any solace. I'm providing Clov insight of my experience level with other players in the event we're both townies this game because frankly, that's how townies play. They pool information together. Historically I don't have the best track record with RTE in the limited number of games we've played together, so I say so. The last one especially was a bit of a debacle.

3. I do think his response was good. Calling your statement dramatic was pretty accurate imo. Why are you trying to establish this narrative by implying RTE and I are together?

4. If you were asking pointed questions to gain insight on a particular tidbit that you saw and wanted another opinion on without asking for directly, then by definition, I was correct in describing your questions as guarded.

And for the record, I don't hate building furniture. I like stuff like that, I was mostly commenting on the part he said about 'my wife just had to get' thing. I'm sure most of us could relate to that :laugh:

Just wanna welcome the newbies to their first Mafia experience, I think you'll discover soon how fun and addicting it can be. Don't lose too much sleep dwelling on the game :wink:

For now I have the worst feeling about Turin. [v]##Turin[/v] Gonna keep an eye on how he handles Ithi this game, that can usually be a pretty big indicator of which side he's playing on. I think some of the questions he's posed are a bit off.

Ithi seems to be playing her town game which is based mostly on intuition from my experience. Clov seems to be driving discussion and I can't really fault him for looking askance at Ithi if he hasn't played with her before. A lot of her arguments are going to be that way, for the record.

Sooh seems to be pretty level headed for a newbie, so hopefully I'll be able to figure her out before too long. New players usually read sort of scummy to way by nature, and the running commentary post she made is a good example as to what, but I'm willing to observe her for a while until things get going so I can gauge her better.

Beyond that I don't have anything else to comment on. Let's see how things shake out

There is that "bit off" line again. Could you be any buddier to Dice? Which questions and why are they "off"? Ambiguous push is ambiguous.

I don't think my push is at all ambiguous. It's true that I may not be able to perfectly explain how I thought you came across when I was reading your posts earlier, but putting my vote down to back it is taking a stance if I've ever seen one. I think it could be the way that you worded them and the timing in which you asked, they bugged me. That's about as good as it's going to get for now until I see more from you so that I can get a better idea of where I think you're coming from.

@ AJ, I find it odd that you list me as being an obvious townie when I have been lynched as town a fair amount. It must be because my questions are so sinister. I will broadcast as ridiculous town when it serves a purpose. I think the last time i did was in the Sherlock Holmes game due to the mechanics of the roles Pral and I had. ( i was basically trying to draw the mafia kill from the outset because I was protected early at least)  

I found Tress' response to be more likely to come from a mafiosa than not so my bias was included into the question. I wanted to see what you had to say about them as at the time it was one of the few things to discuss.

In my experience with you, I think you have played strong town games even if you disagree. Our last game together, if I'm remembering right, is a pretty good example of this. I can recall several off the top of my head where I had reasonably high trust level for you and several more where I had you snuffed out as mafia rather early on in the game. I feel confident in my ability to read you, in other words.

Bold: There's the bacon. Perhaps that explains why I found how you questioned him to come off in a strange way. If you had been more direct about this you probably wouldn't have sounded so guarded.

Did Clov's response do anything for you?

I have to admit that I like how Turin puts it. 

Vote : AJ 

I feel that AJ and Dice are in some kind of cahoots together, although it could have been all part of a plan... I'm just going with my initial gut here. 

What did you like about it?

What plan do you think you're seeing a part of?

Expound a little. Try to express yourself in a way so that others can understand your perspective and your points will come across more strongly. Mafia is a game of dialogue and motive when it boil it down to brass tacks - so try to be clear with your intended statements.

Just reading up before work.. I'll have to go over the thread more closely later today, but I figured I'd respond to these two..

*snip*

*snip*

I assume that because of what I know of his personality around the board. I would never expect him to come in with a post that's neutral, and if he did I think that would be the most suspect of all...

*snip*

Thanks for the welcome!

Level headed but scummy... cool... so.. running commentary is scummy? I'm just trying to do what I've read in other games and sorting out my own head at the same time.

Clov since you haven't apparently played with Ithi before I will give you a small piece of information. She has two jobs. The first involves doing research and digging for facts that include when people are fibbing about things. The second is as an editor which means that she notices word choices and how they relate to thoughts. 

Your use of the word "we" in that sentence means that you and she are on the same team(TOWN) looking at the possibility of

some of Dice, RTE and Tress being not town. Then in the same post you state that Ithi is your highest mafia read. Which would discount that you have her as town in the earlier part of of your post. This is a contradiction. So is the assertion by you that you don't suspect any of them but you are thiknig some of them could be mafia. 

Ithi is much better t this game than I am so I may be butchering this explanation. 

One thing Tress has right is that this is classic Town!Ithi. looking in all directions and not trusting anyone to start the game. 

...Yeah, I would love to see where you're getting that from.

My first thought when Tress posted that me and Turin are always Town was that she was firefighting for RTE because his post had caught my attention. There was no need for her to post anything defending ish about what he said - and people who back up other people in this game always have an ulterior motive.

Like you saying Dice is the most Town. Why would you say that? You said he sounded genuine but it's just words on a page.

So I don't trust any of you at all.

Also you're asking me if there's a Dice/RTE/Tress Mafia team out there, do you actually suspect any of them?

Bold - no.  Just.  No.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, why would I say Dice is the most likely to be town?  Because that's how this game is played.  You post your reads so people can evaluate your mindset, and in turn, you judge their mindsets from what they post.  I've given my take on his tone - if you disagree, then that's fine, but state that.

I certainly don't suspect Dice or RTE.  Tress would be a weak scumread at this point, because she's just made some sideline snipes without getting involved.  I've seen her be REALLY painfully obvious town before, so if she's not doing that, I'll assume she isn't.  

But I didn't ask that because it was my thoughts - I asked because I'm trying to figure out your's.  If you're just going to make those little "pokes" at everybody, I'm never going to be able to figure out your reads, and it makes me think you don't want to townread people.  So I'm trying to figure out what you actually think.

That seems strange to me as you're giving all these reads and reasons on other people. I would think that if I'm your best shot you'd have done a better job.

Which makes me think you're not that serious and you're up to something.

What?  I've said multiple times why I like Dice and RTE to be town.  I'd have to be braindead to suddenly be scumreading them.  The only other person I've addressed is Tress, who I said I'm going to assume is scum until she gets really townie.  

Also not sure what I "would have done a better job" with, but okay.

From my POV, I've never said anything to even insinuate I'm thinking Dice or RTE could be scum.  Either COULD be - in the sense that both are playing a mafia game, and are physically capable of receiving a mafia role - but I don't know how anything I've written leads someone I'm considering either one to be more than random to be scum at this point.

In regards to Tress, there's nothing I've said that suggests I DON'T suspect her.  

Just reading up before work.. I'll have to go over the thread more closely later today, but I figured I'd respond to these two..

*snip*

*snip*

I assume that because of what I know of his personality around the board. I would never expect him to come in with a post that's neutral, and if he did I think that would be the most suspect of all...

I don't hate this answer.

TLDspbu.png

This makes sense. *nods*

This is me doing another "I´m here but don´t have the time to read everything and comment on it yet" post. 

First!

Vote #AJ  Im not mafia for once in a Darthe game so he MUST be!

Interesting.

In what Darthe games have you been Mafia?

Most.

really hard to do anything else if noones around turin.

theres something about this post thats bugging me. it feels off. and its not that he missed ley cause i didnt notice that til clov bought it up either. it feels like a "lets look another way" post but its so early in the game it could be for legitimate reasons.

Can you cite some examples of you being mafia in games Darthe has run? 

No worries about the interaction thing. I didn't notice the time stamps. I just assumed that the game had only just started when I saw my PM but I was doing other things earlier in the day and might have just missed it. 

I hate the ambiguous "something off" line. Especially since you give a reason for why you think it might be bad but immediately back away from it. 

Following your belief that I am trying to get the talk going another way, what was I trying to take the spotlight away from? 

BLUE   Im not good with mafia game names or remembering exactly what i was in which games. I know i was mafia last Darthe game which was here iirc and that post all came out of a joke darthe made last game as AJ explained. If Lenlo was in this game he would have got it too.  For whatever reason we three usually get mafia when darthe hosts games but this time i didnt so i decided to use it. It was funny for me and my target audience AND it got AJ to respond to me in a way that lets me start forming a read on him.

Also i seem to recall you putting up something about AJ's  post saying it was good to see me do something. Thats typical AJ. He reads me better then pretty much anyone except maybe yates. he has certain things he associates with TownDice.

RED  you know when you want to describe something but you just cant find the right words? Thats what it is. Hence i put something feels off. Its D1 and i go by my gut D1. right now my guts not liking your posts but i cant really articulate why.

Black  The convo between Clov and Ithi.

In other news, I'm also comfortable giving a tentative town read on Dicetastic.

Still formulating opinions on others.

I'm also mentally wiped out from an emotional scene caused by a 2-1/2 year old who did NOT WANT ME TO LEAVE after my weekend visit, followed immediately by a 1-1/2 hour drive down a twisty mountain road in the rain, so I plan to vegetate until bedtime and not think if I can avoid it.

I miss you when you leave too!!  Can i throw a tanty now?? :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

@ Sooh   dont count on me being the same in a mafia game as i am in the band. I tend to be very different here. You might see a few flashes of my humour that your used to but often you wont. Read me based on

a) yes what you know of me but also

b) by what im saying. By how consistent or logical i am being and what you think of those things  or 

C) go with your gut. especially D1. I  of all people cannot complain about that. 

I have to admit that I like how Turin puts it. 

Vote : AJ 

I feel that AJ and Dice are in some kind of cahoots together, although it could have been all part of a plan... I'm just going with my initial gut here.

What did you like about it?

What plan do you think you're seeing a part of?

Expound a little. Try to express yourself in a way so that others can understand your perspective and your points will come across more strongly. Mafia is a game of dialogue and motive when it boil it down to brass tacks - so try to be clear with your intended statements.

Okay I promise to go in depth from here on... It's not that I don't want to now but it's difficult to put so much from my phone. When I get back in 12 hours I will have my thoughts stickied and ready to debate upon. Just want to get it out there for you, so you don't think I'm ignoring you AJ

Can you elaborate on the Turin thing, AJ?  I don't think I've played with EITHER of them, so I'd appreciate it if you can explain how you think Town!Turin would approach her - and more importantly, how it differs from what he's been doing here.

I thought his questions were pretty decent.  Timing aside, him asking me to elaborate on the Dice/RTE reads was perfectly acceptable IMO and I appreciated him questioning me about Ithi.  

I haven't seen much by way of them interacting thus far, so I couldn't really provide a difference yet. They play sort of like Leelou and Verb do to give you something to compare it with. Turin is usually pretty quick to side with Ithi regardless of his alignment, so that in itself isn't very indicative. Basically what it boils down to is that you have to decide if you think he's doing this from the perspective that he is genuinely town reading her or working from the position that he already knows that she is town. This, of course, is dependent on Ithi actually being a villager - but I think you catch my drift.

I can't really explain too much what I didn't like about his questions other than to say that they felt 'off' to me. Basically gut feelz. From my experience with Turin he can be very obviously town and a strong asset to the team but at the same time stands out pretty clearly when he's mafia. I've got a limited sample size so far in this game but to me he sounds guarded.

That's all pretty fair.  To follow up with the bold, the only thing that stood out to me was how he kind of guided me towards an answer, about the inactives.

The first question is pretty straight forward.  However, he specifies three people, leaving a couple off (Leyrann, like I pointed out earlier, but Sooh as well).  And the final question basically gives the answer that I feel at least one of them is scummy for me, even if I hadn't.

Ithi is always town until proven otherwise. It is simple numbers. I don't even know the last game she was mafia in. Maybe WWII which was ages ago. Add that IMO she is about the best player I know I will side with her unless it becomes fairly obvious she is not town. So sue me. 

I think I already addressed Ley and Sooh as null to me which is why I didn't include them.    

Bold: I don't really like this. Does not everyone have an equal chance to get mafia, and is, at the very start of the game, not everyone therefore equally scummy? Should the best course of action not to be too start with a null read on everyone?

Italics: I agree here. I was first like "but I don't really see Turin as obvious town when I play with him" when I read that post, and then you reminded me that, indeed, I am not alone in that. Weird statement from AJ.

Official Vote Count Two:

Ithi (1/8): Clov

RTE (1/8): Ithi

Turin (1/8): AJ

AJ (1/8): Quest

Not voting (10/14):

RTE, Red, Laya, Tina, HL3, Sooh, Turin, Tress, Ley, Dice

No deadline currently in effect.

*snip*

*snip*

Fair enough.

*snip*

Thanks for the welcome!

Level headed but scummy... cool... so.. running commentary is scummy? I'm just trying to do what I've read in other games and sorting out my own head at the same time.

That depends. Normally I tend to associate it more towards a mafia behavior but it can vary depending on the player. It's one of those things that strike me as someone wanting to appear like they're saying something when in reality they aren't. Does that make sense? Anyway, considering the question asked earlier there's not one thing I could point at and say with 100% certainty that it's something a town/mafia player would only do.

TLDspbu.png

This makes sense. *nods*

This is me doing another "I´m here but don´t have the time to read everything and comment on it yet" post.

Looking forward to that when you get the chance.

Archived