DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Walking Dead Season 5.5

SinisterDeath

you know.  i thought that Tyrese might actually pull through .... until the Talking Dead guy said "special guest star" at the 45 min mark  <_<

when ever theres a "special guest star" from the show, it means a character dies.

H8U Walking Dead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Community Administrator

Hmm..so we are told (via an interview(talking dead?)), that the season finale is going to be 90 minutes long, and people are going to be yelling at there tv by the end of it.

Here's my prediction:

1. They exile people they don't feel can live with others. (Like sasha) or put them in roles like Daryl, to find 'new people'.

2. Either

A) they brand them with a W to say they aren't worthy of Alexandria/Brand them no different then 'Walkers' or

B) W is for Washington, A is for Alexandria (as seen per stamp on ricks hand), and the zombies with W carved in there heads, are from some Governoresque leader from Washington.

3. Zombie horde is going to hit their walls... hard. either by their own doing, (like her son and the walker strung up) or from Daryl/others bringing a horde back unintentionally.

4. Someone is going to die (besides Sasha), Maybe Carol, Maybe Daryle. I doubt it'll be Rick. I expect the former leader of Alexandria to die.. probably via zombie.

I also wanted to mention, I love the wall in Alexandria! It's actually a damned smart system!

1. Easy to Build.

2. Highly Modular

3. Materials are easy to come By. 

4. Strong against Zombies and Human infiltration.

It may not stop a tank, but if you saw the view I saw of there wall, it is Damn strong.

It appears to have Vertical posts, either made from 2x8 Tubes. (Wall thickness is almost irrelevant)

It is then further braced horizontally every 3-4 feet; To further strengthen the wall, they use more posts angled around 45-60 degrees, which further stabilizes the wall from a massive horde of zombies pushing against it. 

Note: This is exactly how the prison 'wall' collapsed, the pressing horde of zombies pushed the wall over. It was not secured enough from below, or from top. If the posts in this wall are buried at least 4 feet below ground, and braced at a 45 degree angle, It would take a World War Z style horde to push that wall over.

The Strength of the sheet steel is the only real variable. Most sheet steel is corrugated, and thus increases strength and rigidity. if its Flat steel, it would need to be thicker (heavier) to have the same strength which offers it's own set of problems. But if Corrugated sheet still becomes dented/bent, it might compromise the structural stability and create failure points in the wall, that could eventually lead to a compromise, either through zombies, outsiders, or the elements. or a combination of them.

I also wanted to mention, I love the wall in Alexandria! It's actually a damned smart system!

1. Easy to Build.

2. Highly Modular

It may not stop a tank, but if you saw the view I saw of there wall, it is Damn strong.

It appears to have Vertical posts, either made from 2x8 Tubes. (Wall thickness is almost irrelevant)

It is then further braced horizontally every 3-4 feet; To further strengthen the wall, they use more posts angled around 45-60 degrees, which further stabilizes the wall from a massive horde of zombies pushing against it. 

Note: This is exactly how the prison 'wall' collapsed, the pressing horde of zombies pushed the wall over. It was not secured enough from below, or from top. If the posts in this wall are buried at least 4 feet below ground, and braced at a 45 degree angle, It would take a World War Z style horde to push that wall over.

The Strength of the sheet steel is the only real variable. Most sheet steel is corrugated, and thus increases strength and rigidity. if its Flat steel, it would need to be thicker (heavier) to have the same strength which offers it's own set of problems. But if Corrugated sheet still becomes dented/bent, it might compromise the structural stability and create failure points in the wall, that could eventually lead to a compromise, either through zombies, outsiders, or the elements. or a combination of them.

You don't see any potential problem with the supports being on the outside? It's already been noted that someone could climb over with little difficulty, and there's plenty of cover on the outside. And zombie hordes pushing against it would be pushing the wall away from its supports, not towards them.

1. Easy to Build.

2. Highly Modular

You don't see any potential problem with the supports being on the outside? It's already been noted that someone could climb over with little difficulty, and there's plenty of cover on the outside. And zombie hordes pushing against it would be pushing the wall away from its supports, not towards them.

I couldn't tell which side those were on, as there are houses on both side of the wall.

Climbing over is mostly an issue with humans - not walkers. and as mentioned they 'do' have a clock tower. the majority of there security issue lies not in the wall, but the underlying security flaws with lack of personell, and indacequate clearing around said walls.

IF those posts are on the outside of the wall, the strength of the wall might not be 'as' strong, but it all depends on how those posts are anchored.  though, against humans that leaves it open for tampering.

So last night on Talking Dead, they took a question from Facebook about whether the people in Alexandria know that everyone is infected. IIRC the general consensus answer was that the inner circle of the town's leadership knows, but the population at large is unaware. I think this is ridiculous. For the Alexandria folk to be unaware of this means that for the entire time since the town gated itself up, and possibly since the zombie plague began, NOBODY IN THE TOWN has died from other causes. Those are some unlikely odds. No heart attacks. No one in the town had cancer, diabetes, or any other disease that a breakdown of modern civilization would make it a lot harder, if not impossible to treat. And none of the other many ways to die, aside from being bitten or eaten by zombies, has come true. Not buying it. They know full well.

So last night on Talking Dead, they took a question from Facebook about whether the people in Alexandria know that everyone is infected. IIRC the general consensus answer was that the inner circle of the town's leadership knows, but the population at large is unaware. I think this is ridiculous. For the Alexandria folk to be unaware of this means that for the entire time since the town gated itself up, and possibly since the zombie plague began, NOBODY IN THE TOWN has died from other causes. Those are some unlikely odds. No heart attacks. No one in the town had cancer, diabetes, or any other disease that a breakdown of modern civilization would make it a lot harder, if not impossible to treat. And none of the other many ways to die, aside from being bitten or eaten by zombies, has come true. Not buying it. They know full well.

Well, they also haven't had the exposure most others have with the zombies, so its hard to say for certain if 'everyone' at this stage is really infected or not. There's also the whole "hell is full' angle...

http://www.amctv.com/TWD360/alexandria-tour/
Hmm guess the posts are on the outside.

It's curious, as they appear to be attached fairly well to both the ground, and the wall. It definitely makes the town vulnerable to humans. Less from walkers some how managing to climb up those posts.. It almost comes off as someone in set-design set them the wrong way!

When you look from the outside, if the panels were reversed, it almost could have been some kind of quarantine system for the zombies that backfired, and the town might have placed the panels on the opposite side, to prevent the zombies from coming in, instead of leaving...

1. Easy to Build.

2. Highly Modular

I couldn't tell which side those were on, as there are houses on both side of the wall.

Climbing over is mostly an issue with humans - not walkers. and as mentioned they 'do' have a clock tower. the majority of there security issue lies not in the wall, but the underlying security flaws with lack of personell, and indacequate clearing around said walls.

IF those posts are on the outside of the wall, the strength of the wall might not be 'as' strong, but it all depends on how those posts are anchored.  though, against humans that leaves it open for tampering.

Well, humans are a big problem with the world. Look at how many problems the characters have had with other humans. And the people of Alexandria do at least seem aware enough of the potential for problems with their fellow humans. Also, a disadvantage of the walls as they are is that unlike the walls of Woodbury it's impossible to patrol the top of the wall - and the repel attacks from there. The walls they have will do the job, if all you want to do is prevent walkers wandering in, but to protect against larger hordes and human attack it's deeply lacking. Alexandria's greatest defense is the area being largely evacuated, giving them a degree of secrecy that they would probably have lacked in the area most of the show was set in.

No, it means that if anyone died then it was possible to prevent the knowledge of the reanimation becoming widespread. For example, no-one died so suddenly that they were unable to get them to a doctor. He might now, but hasn't told everyone.

but to protect against larger hordes 

Short of World War Z hordes, those walls will do alot better then the 'fence walls' of the prison. Obviously they won't be as great as solid concrete walls of the 'actual' prison, but that's a moot/duh point.

While yes, they can't patrol the top, they do have a nice handy clock tower that could potentially give them a view over the horizon (as seen from the ground)

A simple 'trench' dug around the walls, (on either side) could go along ways towards repelling both zombies and humans.

I'm still curious about the 'why' the wall was built the way it was. IT is odd that they don't have the support-beams (the angled ones) on the in-side. From purely structural and defense perspective, it makes little sense. (And designing buildings is something I do for a living...) That's why I ponder if

A) the wall was originally built to keep zombies IN

or

B) the wall was built that way because someone on set-design screwed up and they thought the audience wouldn't know any better. 

but to protect against larger hordes

Short of World War Z hordes, those walls will do alot better then the 'fence walls' of the prison. Obviously they won't be as great as solid concrete walls of the 'actual' prison, but that's a moot/duh point.

While yes, they can't patrol the top, they do have a nice handy clock tower that could potentially give them a view over the horizon (as seen from the ground)

Of only limited usefulness - there are enough blind spots that it should be possible to sneak close to the walls, under the cover of the trees, for example. Being able to patrol the wall and use it as a position to repel attacks is extremely useful - it doesn't just give you a view from afar, it gives you a view up close. The clock tower itself is useful, but having it does not make up for the problems with the walls. The base of the walls is a blind spot, and there's sufficicent cover to get into that blind spot without being seen.

A simple 'trench' dug around the walls, (on either side) could go along ways towards repelling both zombies and humans.

I'm still curious about the 'why' the wall was built the way it was. IT is odd that they don't have the support-beams (the angled ones) on the in-side. From purely structural and defense perspective, it makes little sense. (And designing buildings is something I do for a living...) That's why I ponder if

A) the wall was originally built to keep zombies IN

or

B) the wall was built that way because someone on set-design screwed up and they thought the audience wouldn't know any better.

It's worth noting that at the prison they had supports on the inside, so the set designers got it right before. I don't think it at all unlikely that the supports on the outside was a deliberate choice.

It's worth noting that at the prison they had supports on the inside, so the set designers got it right before. I don't think it at all unlikely that the supports on the outside was a deliberate choice.

This is assuming that they had that in mind when doing the prison. They might have put the prison one in place without realizing that it mattered which way the supports face, and that time they got lucky to make the right choice. Inside or outside, they had a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

For the whole length of the show, they've had nicely mowed lawns everywhere regardless of whether a place is still inhabited or not. They've shown characters driving new cars in order to work in some sweet product placement, despite the fact that the auto industry has been toast for ages. You really think they're going to think about which way wall supports are facing when they're showing us abandoned towns with freshly mowed grass?

This is assuming that they had that in mind when doing the prison. They might have put the prison one in place without realizing that it mattered which way the supports face, and that time they got lucky to make the right choice. Inside or outside, they had a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

For the whole length of the show, they've had nicely mowed lawns everywhere regardless of whether a place is still inhabited or not. They've shown characters driving new cars in order to work in some sweet product placement, despite the fact that the auto industry has been toast for ages. You really think they're going to think about which way wall supports are facing when they're showing us abandoned towns with freshly mowed grass?

I think there is a slight difference, though. Covering up newly mown lawns would incur extra expense. Putting supports on one side or the other on the set you're building? Not so much. This isn't exactly obscure knowledge we're talking about, and presumably the people building sets have at least some experience in building (set) walls which can stand up properly. I'm not ruling out that it could be a mistake, but I don't consider it that far fetched that there could be a reason for it in-universe, all things considered.

Eh, those sheet panels aren't  that heavy that they'd require an even heavier post to prop them up. :wink:

They could have been used to keep the wall frame-vertical.

Ironically, if they had those posts on the inside, they actually could have installed a 'walkway' on the inside to walk the perimeter of the fence.

Season Finale+Gail saying "there will be blood and not all walker blood"+surprise guest on Talking Dead.... This is gonna be nuts...

see this is why i hate the after talk show for this program.

the show itself is fine.   even hinting at people dieing in the next episode is fine.

but dont bloody come on during the middle of the flipping episode while a characters in limbo on the death thing on the show and say "special guest star next on the talking dead".

you might as bloody well tell up "so&so dies, get a postmortem interview after the show"

Archived