DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I think we need to talk about...

Niniel

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A28%2Cp_lbr_books_series_browse-bin%3AWheel+of+Time#

it's classifued YA in a lot of libraries and bookstores too. and the large print parceling of some of the books was definitely aimed at younger readers.

they classify it YA I believe because it lacks profanity and the actual sex scenes are minimal and not explicit. though there are definitely aspects of all the books that are in no way appropriate for kids, young adult isn't really children's lit and thise aspects can be missed by reviewers.

In a library I was WoT classified along with thrillers and crime fiction and in a bookstore with science fiction and in another bookstore along with children's books...or it might have been that the shelf to the side was overflowing so that place was temporary.

WoT has become my standard to measure bookstores. Nowadays, most bookstores have aSoIaF since Game of Thrones become popular but very very few bookstores have Name of the Wind or Malazan. Wheel of Time is somewhere between these. If a bookstore has WoT, it is worth visitng again. If they don't and try to get me to read Dan Brown or *horror* Chetan Bhagat (a vastly overrated author), that bookstore is to be avoided.

Whether or not a bookstore has WoT is largely irrelevant to me. I've ducked into a few hole in the wall places and can generally tell if the place is selling books because they had a few boxes they wanted to unload or if they have a love of literature. I like to poke around and explore and will often ignore the fantasy section altogether.

When I do browse fantasy and sci-fi, I try to completely ignore the big names and will look at the smaller, thinner and humbler titles. I picked up a really thin little volume called Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner and later learned it was awarded the Mythopoeic award in 1991, which is a big to do. I've started reading other works which have received this award and holy crap, it has been awesome.

Pushy sales creatures are a definite turn off but I've never had that problem in bookstores. Most clerks are usually absorbed in their own private reading.

Exploring, dirty hands, dust on the shirt and stuff in my hair. It's a good life.

Archived