DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm never taking a foreign language again!

NO!

Well... we are going to home school my son, and I'm willing to do a little bit of spanish with him, but I won't do all the homework. I'm burned out from courses that give me 10-20 hours of homework per week!

Ok, well, I might also learn some latin as well since we want to include that in homeschool-- it will help him no matter what he does. Bachelor of Arts, makes European languages easier. If Bachelor of Science, nice to know the language behind the genus naming scheme.

Oh, I also did some Korean. When I lived there I knew some basic stuff, and could also read/write.

There are a lot of languages that I can't speak :nods:

I have zero ability with language which makes me sad, I blame a shockingly bad memory.

I know a little French and german. I can sing heads, shoulders, knees and toes in Dutch. I've forgotten a smidgeon of Polish and Hebrew and can read a pizza menu in Norwegian (although decipher might be a better way of describing it, or possibly blinds luck :laugh:)

Congrats Horn, now you can concentrate on whatever you find fun!

Yeah, my problem is that I SUCK at rote memorization. When I try to memorize flash cards, my brain literally overloads-- my thoughts crescendo into an over-bearing intense scream, and I get really, really upset at the flashcards for not aligning in my universe.... like someone OCD would get upset if you touched three out of four poles on purpose, while stepping on all the cracks but one. 

I am much better at memorizing concepts, or memorizing specific details that aren't required. Like, I find it interesting that WWI started in August of 1914. But if you tell me to memorize when it ended, my brain will cry at me when I go to force the information down its gullet. (Though.... was it July 1918? 1917? Bah.)

My undergrad was in History, so it was interesting seeing my reaction to the different classes I took, as most of them were interesting, but only some of them were academically the right fit for me.

Heh, I always found myself in the interesting position of being able to perfectly grammatically form a sentence, but not being able to remember the words to go in it... :dry:

It's why I like geology - there's a rule that says that the stuff at the bottom of a cliff is older than the stuff at the top (most of the time) #shockhorror

Well, to be fair, it was an elective... but I needed it because I have to take a lot of credits from a certain pool of electives, and this helped tremendously.

I am getting a MA in Biblical and Theological Studies... hence Greek and Hebrew, the original biblical languages. So technically speaking, I took koine Greek and biblical Hebrew.. kind of like a non-English speaker taking Middle English. (Old English equates more to Classical Greek, and pre biblical [forgot the term] Hebrew).

• 2 weeks later...

I am horrid at languages.  Most of the foreign phrases I know are swears.  :wink:

Well, you could knock me over with a wool headed sheepsherder, or something

*knocks BFG over with a wool headed shepsherder and something*

:tongue:

Well you did ask for it. :0p

Well, technically you didn't give her what she asked for... haha

Archived