DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I need some help

Steven Cooley

I am confused on which book I should start with here in the Wheel of Time Series.

I looked on the internet and it says this New Spring is a Prequel and The Eye of the World is the first book so which one should I start with. Also keep in mind I only have 3 of these and the third one is The Great Hunt.

New Spring is a prequel to the main series (which starts with The Eye of the World and ending with A Memory of Light). However, New Spring was published between the 10th and 11th book in the main series (I believe I have the timeline right).

Despite taking place approximately 20 years before the main series and containing younger versions of many characters that appear prominently in the main series, New Spring is written in such away that it's assuming the reader already understands many of the concepts and is familiar with the characters from reading the main series books. As such, it's probably better to not read New Spring until you have read most or all of the main series. 

There were similar threads about this.

I generally read any series in the order of their time settings; unless the books are numbered or are in an omnibus.

I started my second & third times through with the prequel.  I am in my third time through.

If this is your first time through and if you want to avoid spoilers, probably do the prequel when you start your second time through.

If you do not mind spoilers and/or if you read the series before, then you could read the books in any order.

By the way, I am one that does not mind spoilers.  And the furthest I read has been Towers of Midnight.

you should start with whichever one you want. the story is complicated and there are so many characters you'll probably end up forgetting or missing stuff the first time around anyway.

I don't think new spring is the best of the bunch but it may be the easiest to read.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived