DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

9 Bizarre Video Games

Ryrin

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/technology/9-bizarre-video-games-its-hard-to-believe-exist.html/?a=viewall#ixzz3HIe6ANfA You can see video trailers of the games at the link.

1. Goat Simulator

Probably the majority of people that saw the above video of Goat Simulator assumed that there was no way this was really a game. One of the quotes within the video even begs for it to be released as a real game. In truth, the game looks like it may actually have been intended as a joke. Before its launch, it’s developers claimed “Goat Simulator is a small, broken, and stupid game … It was made in a couple of weeks so don’t expect a game in the size and scope of GTA with goats. In fact, you’re better off not expecting anything at all actually. To be completely honest, it would be best if you’d spend your $10 on a hula hoop, a pile of bricks, or maybe a real life goat.”

That makes it sound even more like a joke. When asked about the reality of the game in the FAQ, the answer to the question “Bro are u srs?” was a firm, and resounding “Yes.” Expect plenty of madness as you play a goat let loose on the town with horns for ramming ragdoll humans, extreme jumping abilities aided by trampolines, and a tongue that stretches and attaches to objects so you can whirl them around as you chase the mortified humans. Since that’s the real life of a goat.

2. Farming Simulator

Along the same lines as Goat SimulatorFarming Simulator fits out on the margins of the simulation genre. While we’ve gotten used to playing flight simulators, racing games that could fall into the category of simulation, or any of Maxis titles that allowed us to design and manage our own city, the idea of expanding that to a farm might not have crossed many people’s minds.

But it did cross the minds of the folks at Giants Software. The game was designed and released for multiple platforms, and a quick YouTube search of the title shows that there is actually quite a following for the game, as some videos have a surprisingly high view-count. The game may not be as dull as it sounds, as the simple addition of “dub step” when searching for the game offers wilder results.

3. Tokyo Jungle

This is another game that stands on similar ground to Goat Simulator, but it relates in a different way. The game sets you in a world where humanity has vanished, and you start out as none other than one of nature’s vicious predators — the Pomeranian —  or a small silka deer. The game forces you to explore, find food, set up a place to live, and mate.

As you progress through the game, you gain experience and can unlock different animals that may be a bit more threatening than the Pomeranian. Throughout the perilous journeys and generations, you get to explore downtown Tokyo. If you’ve already played the game and it wasn’t enough oddness for you, maybe WolfQuest will fill in the void.

4. Mister Mosquito

There seems to be a trend for games that have you controlling critters are among the weirdest out there. Mister Mosquito is not exception. In the game, you terrorize a Japanese household, waiting for the right moment to strike and steal their blood. If the right moment doesn’t present itself, sometimes you have to create distractions, like flying into a light switch to turn the lights off.

If it wasn’t weird enough to be a mosquito or go around sucking blood, the game also forces you to enter combat with the folks in the household as they tries to smash you. A few well placed bumps is what it takes to calm them down.

5. Japan World Cup

Japan seems to have a knack for these kinds of games. Japan World Cup doesn’t fall short in bizarre points. The game appears to be about horse racing in Japan, and it has the setting just right, but things go odd when the racers start to line up in the box. Some horses have weird hair styles or strange bodies, some of them aren’t even horses at all.

The game is loaded with silly antics, strange things for jockeys to ride — whether it’s an elephant, yeti, trojan horse, or a barrel with human legs sticking out posing as a horse — you also get odd obstacles. If it wasn’t crazy enough that the game existed, then it’s plenty crazy that it’s a series with several titles.

6. Katamari Damacy

Now it’s confirmed: Japan knows how to get away with releasing some of the most bizarre games and has clearly had enough success to keep doing it. Katamari Damacy follows a pint-sized prince who has to make up for his father’s destruction by rolling around ball that clumps items together into a giant mass that the prince can use as celestial objects.

The game is goofy and was developed on an exceedingly small budget. Nonetheless, it was most assuredly the most successful of the games on this list. It spawned numerous sequels across multiple platforms. According to VGChartz, the series has sold 2.18 million copies worldwide. The Farming Simulator series takes second with 1.49 million copies sold.

7. Icarus Proudbottom & The Curse of the Chocolate Fountain

The story of Icarus Proudbottom follows a young man who is cursed into constantly defecating, and at such a fast rate that it send him flying around the world and even into space. Along the way, he meets an owl that becomes his spirit animal and weapon, and fights countless enemies, including President Barack Obama.

Though this is easily one of the crazier concepts for a game, it is a little bit less surprising that it actually got made. The game features very simple graphics and was developed for flash, so just about anyone can play it on their computers. It’s even available for free download here. If you need more of this madness, look into Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing or Icarus Proudbottom: Starship Captain.

8. LSD

There’s no mistake in the title, though it is sometimes called LSD: Dream Simulator. If you’re confused as to why, be sure to check out the bit of gameplay above. The old Playstation game allowed users to walk around a dreamworld inspired by the dreams of Hiroko Nishikawa, who worked in the studio.

The dreams change depending on numerous factors that you may never be able to repeat exactly in any play-through, which can create a unique experience every time. Sometimes that experience may be pretty creepy. There may be demons floating by or eyes popping out of the wall staring at you. You can never be sure what to expect. Unless you’re expecting strangeness — there will be plenty of that.

9. The Stanley Parable

The best way to explain The Stanley Parable is probably just to make someone play it. The game has you play as Stanley, who works in a small office just typing in whatever is displayed on his computer screen. But that’s not the part you play. Instead, you explore the building because you stop receiving commands on the screen.

Between the numerous paths you can take, the way the narrator is constantly talking about your actions — whether disappointed in what you did, or trying to influence what you will do — and the way you your character can lose his sanity, this game checks off all the boxes on the crazy list. As one of the more recently released games, The Stanley Parable may suit gamers who don’t really want to step back into the outdated graphics of some of the other titles here.

It said the goats "jump on a trampoline, smash boxes,....  Goat in a tower with peasant goats bowing in honor. Goat with a jetpack. Goat with a Satan death mask, complete with extra set of horns. Goat obliterating yet another piece of heavy machinery."

Is that it?

Not sure. Hope it's not.

I'm fascinated by all these weird games, though! I definitely want to try and get that farming one. For real. I'm completely addicted to Maxis' SimCity game, but I wish they'd make it a bit more "realistic". Or that they'd make a SimNation or SimCountry one, where you could have a larger variety of things like fishing villages and animal farms, and game farms, etc.

You need to play Civilisation maybe. Me and Turin play Civ IV. You build an empire and learn different technologies. You can battle the other empires but if you just want to build and learn you can select Constant Peace. We never turn the barbarians on lol.

It's an old game but still very playable and you just download it from Steam.

Maybe. This site seems to offer a download, but I'm on my phone so I don't know if it works.

http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/simfarm.php

I played Sims once. I got up, had a shower, got dressed, made breakfast, tidied up, went to work, came home, made tea, tidied up, went to bed.

I found it quite depressing lol

I had a game called Populous on the PS1 that had terrible terrible graphics, but you played a God and it was your job to get more followers and increase your flock etc.

Of course I'd been used to Vic20 and commadore64 graphics. I was blown away by Sega and PS1 was just awesome.

I'm not really bothered by the graphics of something as for me the game is key. I used to love the text adventures too. They had no graphics at all.

Did anyone else ever play Myst?

It was basically a series of beautiful rendered images and puzzles. I read the book too and still didn't really understand it.

I played it... or I tried to play it, for a while.  I got hung up on some puzzles and decided that searching the internet for how to move on wasn't any more fun than being stuck, so I gave up. :tongue:

Yes. I remember that too. I don't think I ever finished it.

I remember also, in the days before the internet, I used to get stuck on Dizzy the Eggs games and I used to call the premium number helplines to get the cheats.

Sometimes I even asked for permission :blush:

My dad's work used to pay his phonebill so I'm sure they were fascinated by his interest in 16 colour fetch and carry and 'insert item x here' type games.

Archived