DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Salidar refresher?

Dakaran

*Question contains spoilers for book 5 on*

Hello! I've finished book 9 and continuing on, but it's been such a long time since I first started this series that my memory is getting fuzzy on a few things. Can someone (or someones :) ) help refresh my memory on the whole white tower split? In particular, I honestly don't recall exactly why the blues were at such odds with the reds and what caused the whole division that lead to the exodus of aes sedai that regrouped in Salidar.

Thanks so much!

Dakaran

The split occurred in book 4 (Shadow Rising); Chapter 47.

Blue Ajah and Red Ajah seemed to dislike each other since before the series.

Aah, I've forgotten so much that I don't even remember what book it happens in. I looked up a recap on Book 4 Chapter 47. Does Elaida have any point-of-view chapters that give details on what led to her deciding to overthrow Siuan?

I'm not sure if you've read New Spring or not, but Elaida has a rivalry with Siuan and Moiraine dating back to when Moiraine and Siuan were novices, presumably because they were the three or among the three most powerful channelers in the tower at the time. Moreover, once she learns about Rand, she believes that she is the best person to lead the Aes Sedai and control Rand.

That being said, Alivarin plays a major role in Elaida becoming Amyrlin. You will learn more in later books about the role that the Black Ajah played in the White Tower split, so since you haven't read past book nine I won't go into any more detail. You could probably say Alviarin was the real brains behind the operation, and Elaida was simply a willing participant, and a good choice of a pawn for the Black Ajah due to her power and influence as well as her dislike for Siuan.

The split occurred in book 4 (Shadow Rising); Chapter 47.

Blue Ajah and Red Ajah seemed to dislike each other since before the series.

Aah, I've forgotten so much that I don't even remember what book it happens in. I looked up a recap on Book 4 Chapter 47. Does Elaida have any point-of-view chapters that give details on what led to her deciding to overthrow Siuan?

Chapter 1; it is the 2nd POV in the chapter.

You could probably say Alviarin was the real brains behind the operation.

Alviarin seemed to be Mesaana's servant in later books; it might have started in or before Shadow Rising.

If it did start at that  time, then Mesaana would be the real brains and Alviarin probably an executioner.  Not sure if executioner is the right term.

1. As stated, Elaida had a dislike and intense rivalry with Siuan and Moiraine dating back before they (S+M) even became Aes Sedai.

2. Alviarian manipulates and supports Elaida in order to further the interests of the Black Ajah.

3. General history between the red and blue (Terrible Red Ajah Amyrlins have been replaced by competent Blues).

4. Siuan was probably violating Tower law by dealing with Rand not only without the authorisation of the Hall, but without even informing them.

5. Before Siuan was stilled, "Workmen" put into the city by Danelle (A member of the Brown Ajah) and warders led an uprising against Elaida to try and free Siuan.

6. The Blue Ajah was then disbanded by Elaida, and those who supported them were chased out of the Tower.

It would be in The Shadow Rising, she does it right after Siuan is deposed.

I thought that was after the entire Blue Ajah had fled the tower. Thus forcing her to disband the Blue to give the appearance/illusion of her ruling a unified tower. Because now it was missing one entire color of sisters which were unlikely to return for a very, very long time.

It would be in The Shadow Rising, she does it right after Siuan is deposed.

I thought that was after the entire Blue Ajah had fled the tower. Thus forcing her to disband the Blue to give the appearance/illusion of her ruling a unified tower. Because now it was missing one entire color of sisters which were unlikely to return for a very, very long time.

I believe (It has been a few months since I read TSR) that all this happens over a single day. Elaida convenes the hall to depose Siuan, Siuan is captured, the sisters rebel and try to break Siuan free, the rebellion is crushed and the sisters flee, Siuan is stilled and Elaida raised (I'm not sure whether she is raised right after Siuan is deposed, or after the conflict). Siuan and Leane are then freed the next day by Min.

Archived