DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Smoothie Recipes

Niniel

I would like to get some good smoothie recipes. This is the one that I use:

2,5 dl yogurt

1/2 banana

1 dl frozen blueberry or raspberry or a combination of blueberry and raspberry

I have tried with frozen mango and fresh strawberries as well. 

I've got two recipes for you to try - one may sound weird but is incredible while the other is like drinking a milk shake.

Milk Shake Smoothie
One banana - over ripe [so there are some black spots] - peeled, broken into chunks, and FROZEN overnight.
Berries to taste - we like to use 4-6 fresh strawberries stemmed and cut in half
6-8 ounces of SKIM milk - skim milk "freezes" the best
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Throw it all in a blender and mix for 15-20 seconds until it looks like a milk shake. You can add a little honey or agave syrup if you are looking for a touch more sweetness.

The weird one is a Giada recipe. My wife made it using the fresh basil we were growing. I have to admit that I was pretty skeptical about adding basil to a smoothie. Man. This is AWESOME.

Sweet Basil Smoothie

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups Lemon Simple Syrup, recipe follows
1 cup ice
Lemon Simple Syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest

Directions
In a blender, combine the yogurt, basil, Lemon Simple Syrup, and ice. Blend until smooth and frothy. Pour into frosted glasses and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 (6-ounce) servings

Lemon Simple Syrup:
In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and lemon zest over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Take the pan off the heat and allow the syrup to cool, about 20 minutes. Strain before using.

that's a good base, Tina. I like to use any frozen fruit or berries with yogurt or milk, and bananas are a must of course. peanut butter is a nice addition.

peanut butter and chocolate syrup and bananas with your milk base is nommy

fresh pineapple and strawberry and a little juice is very good too. any kind of juice.

espresso adds a lovely kick to a mocha smoothie

a few ice cubes in the blender lighten and thicken the smoothie nicely. freezing juice in ice cube trays works great.

if you're into it tofu is a good sub for yogurt

malt powder is excellent

you can get away with some veggies as well, like carrots, but best a bit cooked.

a little candied ginger works with most fruit.

I can´t see that. Not availible in my country. :(

So do you add peanut butter to an ordinary recipe or do you use it with just yogurt and banana?

Has anyone done it with avocado? I´ve seen it somewhere but never tried.

you can add peanut butter to any recipe.

the clip was the SNL bassomatic skit.

avocado is an excellent creamy and mostly flavor neutral addition that makes a nice non dairy ice cream or pudding substitute. it would work very well in a smothie with chocolate.

so would some coconut milk.

do you like mango lassie? that's one of my favorite smoothies.

what are you looking for specifically in terms of nutrition in these?

OMG!  This reminds me that I have to find a link for you guys.  There's this guy in - I want to say California - that gets ALL of his nutrition through macro nutrient drinks.  He literally doesn't eat anymore.

I just like to have a smoothie for breakfast. I have eaten too many sandwiches, and while I love sandwiches my stomache thinks it´s too much. So kind of healthy but no need to add a lot of strange things to make it mega healthy. 

I don´t think I have tried mango lassie. It´s an Indian drink, right? 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived