DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Naive beginnings (Attn: MoN)

girt

The trip had taken a month, and cost a great deal of peace of mind, but finally, FINALLY, Girt stood at the foot of the bridge. Tar Valon. City of the Shining Walls. Well, they were supposed to, but it was a cloudy day. Still, it was an impressive sight, the White Tower climbing into the sky. Now that she was here, though, there was work to do.

Girt strode across the bridge, clutching the pack on her back tightly. A novice has no possessions. That is what Unari Sedai had told her. With a sigh, she fingered the necklace, the turquoise dull in the diffuse light. She stalked through town, pausing here and there to study signs. "B-a-n-k" was what she was looking for. She found a large, surprisingly fancy building, ogier wrought stonework climbing pillars in front of a massive, forboding edifice, but it had those letters, in that order. Swallowing down nerves, she headed inside, and waited in the line.

After what felt like hours, she stepped up to the counter, and presented the necklace to the suspicious looking woman standing at the window. "I would like to deposit this. I will return for it when I am Aes Sedai. I will need a receipt." She had practiced the phrase long enough that it rolled off the tongue easily. The woman's expression turned from suspicious to bemused, and after a brief transaction, and the deposit of two copper pennies, which elicited a frown from the young girl, she walked away, receipt in hand. That's one task down.

Next, she sought out the tanner. Unsurprisingly, the odoriferous shop was near the shore, downwind. Another copper bought her a bucket of bleach and some plain thread. Heading out to the shore, Girt stripped down to her small-clothes and set to work bleaching her dress. A novice wears white, to symbolize her pure devotion to the Tower. This wasn't too bad; once the dress was bleached, she removed the other dress from her pack, and set to work altering it with needle and thread. Thankfully, it was already white, and just needed a good scrubbing when she was done. A nice drawing she'd seen was useful for getting the proportions of the gown correct, and soon she had two reasonable facsimiles of novice gowns. After letting them dry, she tugged one on, pleased by the fit, and packed the other away. That's the other. Time to face my fate.

As Girt approached the Tower, she felt suddenly nervous. All that time travelling, this had seemed a distant thing. It was the future, not now. But here she was, and her belly was clenching up. Swallowing her fears, she stepped into the entryway. And gaped. It was ENORMOUS! And beautiful, and frightening, and everything! She stood stock still, staring, stupefied. She started in surprise when an annoyed figure bumped into her from behind, mumbling about fool girls standing in everyone's way. Embarassed, Girt moved off to one side, and collected herself, when a tall, beautiful girl in a white dress banded with all the colors of the rainbow walked up to her, a business-like smile on her face. "You, girl, come with me. I need someone to help carry. If you can stare, you can carry." And just like that, Girt's embarassment and nerves melted away. THIS was familiar territory. She ducked her head, and followed the older girl dutifully.

It was an hour later when the accepted finally let her return to the hall, after collecting several books that had apparently been left lying in common areas. The girl turned to regard Girt, carrying a stack of tomes that rose above her nose, and frowned. "Wait... it's nearing class time, isn't it? Light illumine us, give those here, and run, girl! Next time speak up! Light save us from idiots and novices..." She took the stack and started down the hall, leaving a thoroughly confused Girt standing there, staring after the woman in white. She shook her head, and turned to walk back, only to realize she was completely lost. She approached another woman walking industriously down the hall, and, as meek as can be, asked, "Um, excuse me, ma'am? I..." The woman rounded on her, glaring, her pinched face taking in Girt's gown. "Attend." She turned and stalked down the hall, Girt in tow.

It was several hours later before she finally found herself standing in front of the door to the mistress of novices. Throroughly chastised, and needing to do penance, she bowed her head and knocked on the door, waited a beat, then opened it, stepping inside. She stepped to one side, away from the door, and stood quietly, head bowed, her dress dark with soot, hair a mess of cobwebs, and waited for the yelling to begin. It seemed this was the way things went here, and her not even a novice yet.

• 5 months later...

"-and let this be the last time I see you in here for such as this, eh?"  Valeri did not look forward to punishing a novice any more than the novice enjoyed receiving it, but neither could a novice get away with a prank; especially one performed on an Aes Sedai.  Upon hearing the knock, her eyes flicked to the door to regard an unfamiliar girl slipping into her office.  The girl was in the manner of a novice, but she certainly wasn't one of hers already entered into the Book of Novices.  

"That will be all, Hallia."  With a contrite murmur and a curtsy the girl slipped out, leaving the two alone.  "Come in child, come in.  I am Valeri Sedai, Mistress of Novices.  Have a seat and tell me your name."  With a gesture towards one of the chairs in front of her desk, she smiled at the girl.  "Would you care for some tea?"

Girt surveyed the room, then the Aes Sedai at her desk. It wasn’t messy, strictly speaking, but… cluttered. With an enormous tome. It would be annoying to clean; they always wanted you to be careful of getting dust on the books and papers and all that. Dropping a deep curtsey, she nodded nervously. “Yes, Aes Sedai, I would like some tea very much, thank you.” Walking over to the tea set, Girt hesitated. There was no flame. She blinked several times, then turned, confused, and walked to the chair, blushing.

Sitting on the edge of the chair, she stared at the desk in front of her, and at the huge book. She swallowed nerves, and continued, “I am called Girt Salinas. I was sent to the White Tower by Unari Sedai, who tested me and says that I can learn how to use the One Power, and that I must go and learn and become Aes Sedai. I know little of this, but I take her at her word, of course. She gave me this purse, with 20 Andoran marks, to see me safely here, but warned me not to waste it.” Girt placed a nearly full purse on the desk with a clunk. “I did have to spend one silver penny to pay the caravan driver who aided me in travelling, one copper bit for a meal at an inn near Whitebridge, and two copper for a banking receipt to hold my necklace against my eventual ascendance to Aes Sedai.” Girt took a small stack of papers, and set them on the desk as well. “Here are receipts indicating amount paid. I will stay as long as needed to repay the debt, I give my word under the light. The remainder, 19 crowns and change, are still in the purse.” A blink, then she shook her head, then leaned forward, tugging off a boot. She turned it up, and another coin rolled out into her hand, one of the gold marks. “Well… now they are. Da always said a coin in the boot could save a girl’s life.” She tucked the coin into the purse, apparently unmindful of the unpleasantness of a coin that had seen heavy foot-wear. “I never understood that one. Mostly it made my foot ache.”

Shifting uncomfortably, she continued. “And I am to submit myself for punishment. A dark-haired Aes Sedai with dark skin and a mouth like she chewed a lemon, Rinoa Sedai? I do not recall her name precisely. Rinoa Sedai says I am to tell you I am an insolent and indolent child, that I do not pay attention, and have not been attending my studies. I believe, though I am not sure, that she was trying to explain something called an angry L, and she scolded me when I said I did not know that the letters had moods. I am supposed to request ten lashes as a reminder of my place. One of the girls with the rainbow on her dress says I am a stupid novice, and should tell the Mistress of Novices that I am disrespectful to Accepted, because I asked her where you were, and my tone was one of frustration rather than courteous submission, and an Aes Sedai named Maolin has said that when I have finished speaking with you, I am to return to her rooms and finish scrubbing her hearth, for it is clearly all I am good for, and that I am to not stop for food beforehand. She had taken me to her rooms to attend her as a maid, I believe, and when she sent me for fresh ink, I told her I did not know where to find it.”

Girt swallowed, staring at the floor, cheeks red. “Valeri Sedai, I am sorry, but I believe that there is a grave misunderstanding here. Begging your pardon, please, but…” Mouth dry, she met the other woman’s eyes, and continued in a tone of quiet desperation, sitting there in her dirtied novice dress, “I am not a novice yet! I do not know why people think I am! Please. I do not know where things are, or what an angry L, or angry M is, and I do not know what accepted things ARE, let alone how to respect them, and I AM very hungry, and if I am not to be a novice, then after you have beaten me, and I have finished scrubbing the fireplace, might I at least visit the kitchens before I begin working off my debt?”

Girt hanged her head again, obviously weary, her stomach audibly gurgling. She clapped her hands to her belly, cheeks turning even redder. It was not a good look for the already quite plain girl.

Valeri's eyes followed the girl as she made her way over to the teapot and suppressed a smile at the girl's confusion.  After the girl seated herself, Valeri stood and went to the teapot to prepare it, channeling briefly to heat it.  Bringing two cups back, she handed one to the poor girl and took a seat behind the desk.  Once settled, the girl began relaying her tale to the Aes Sedai.

Smiling kindly at the girl, Valeri listened to her story. The smile grew smaller and was a rather tight-lipped look by the end of the tale. “The fault is not your own, child. Worry not, there will be no punishment for you today. That is reserved for when you do something wrong.” With her smile returning, she continued. “I will send word to Maolin Sedai as to the misunderstanding. She will bear you no ill will once she understands the situation. One thing that confused them was your dress, child. You made those changes yourself?” At a nod from the girl, she picked up where she left off.

“Novices are given their clothing needed when they are entered into the Book of Novices. You didn't need to do so yourself, as the clothing you come to us in will be burned to show your breaking with your old life and a clean start in the Tower. Now then-” with a pause, Valeri opened the large tome in front of her. “This is the Book of Novices, where all Novices' names are entered when they begin training in the Tower. It is not an easy life. You will be expected to do chores, study many subjects, including the One Power. There are rarely free days, and even then you must adhere to all White Tower rules. If you are caught breaking any rules you will be sent to me for punishment. However, I am not simply here as a figure to be feared. Should you need guidance or comfort, I am here for that as well. This is a very serious decision, do you feel yourself ready to become an initiate of the White Tower?”

Girt listened attentively as Valeri Sedai explained the clothing situation. Well, that would have saved some time and effort. Seemed a waste to burn them, but it was just dresses. Her eyes were drawn to the tome again. The thing seemed ancient beyond time, and the girl figured it must be some ancient object of the power.

It is not an easy life. You will be expected to do chores, study many subjects, including the One Power. There are rarely free days, and even then you must adhere to all White Tower rules. If you are caught breaking any rules you will be sent to me for punishment, Valeri had said. This all seemed standard, but… guidance? Comfort? Girt looked at her hands, trying to hide her discomfort and confusion, and her belly gurgled audibly causing her to flush with embarrassment. “Forgive me, Valeri Sedai… you said rarely free days. Does that mean there are, um, there are SOME free days?” She tried to hide the thrill of excitement, and continued, not wanting to spoil the mood. “And I will study? Like schooling? Where you sit and listen and learn things, like a proper lady?”

Girt froze, and stared at Valeri Sedai, her heart sinking. “Oh… I think perhaps I was not clear, Valeri Sedai. I am not a noble girl. I am a stupid serving girl and lady’s maid, and schooling is not for the likes of me.” Girt held up her chapped hands, the roughened flesh betraying her rude upbringing. “I will gladly do all the chores, especially with free days!” She broke into a brilliant smile. “Free days! And I will learn whatever I can about the One Power until I become Aes Sedai, but I do not want to mislead anyone. I am a stupid girl and incapable of learning education things.” This was said with the ease and unconcern that only comes from constant repetition.

She considered the rest of what Valeri had said, oblivious to the expression of consternation on the older woman’s face, and continued, “You said guidance and comfort? Are you my new mum, then?” Girt shifted on the little chair, and sat on her hands, avoiding eye contact, but the look on her face was full of worry, hope, and loneliness. “My other mum died six years past. It wasn’t her fault, though. She didn’t steal nothing. She was a good mum.” She finally fell silent, staring at the floor, feeling lost.

• 2 months later...

Valeri smiled kindly as the girl expressed some excitement only to have that smile turn into a speculative frown.  "Who told you that you were incapable?  Well, we'll see about that.  All Novices are equal, be they of noble or common birth.  If you work hard and pay close attention you'll be fine."  Listening to the girl continue her story, Valeri felt her heart go out to the poor girl.  Losing a parent is never easy, and not having an adequate caretaker in place of her hadn't helped Girt's self-esteem.  

A smile again graced the Aes Sedai's face as she clasped her hands together atop the pages of the Novice Book.  "It has been said from time to time that a Novice thought of me as a second mother.  Certainly if you ever need to talk, or if you just have a problem and need guidance you can come to me.  That is, if you decide that you would like to accept this life.  Have you given it thought?  Are you ready to make that decision?"  Spreading her hands over the pages, the Aes Sedai gazed seriously at the girl.

Who told you you were incapable? Girt thought about that, and grunted, listening to the Aes Sedai. Of course she would SAY that everyone was equal, but Girt knew who ended up with the fuzzy end of the sweet-cake. "I was lady's maid for Lady Zilna back home, mum, and she and her mum and her friends they all said it. Whenever they were learning book stuff, they'd send me out the room because I am dimwitted. It was not an insult, no more than it insults a rock to call it hard." She shrugged. "It just is. I'll try to learn, I will, but I hope they don't expect more than I can do or I'm probably going to end up getting beaten again." She glanced to one side,  eyes tracing over the artwork on the walls, the little bits that made this office personal to the Mistress of Novices.

She stared at a tapestry depicting a woman holding some sort of... scales? Hard to make out, as the older woman talked about how other Novices viewed her. It had been a stupid question, anyway. She doesn't want to be your mum, no one wants a stupid girl for a daughter. Girt nodded at Valeri Sedai's comment about needing guidance, and then shifted her gaze to the other woman, and thought about the question. DID she want this? She'd come all the way here, yes, but that was because Unari Sedai had told her to.

Girt frowned, considering the options. Valeri's assertion about talking seemed a potential invitation, so she decided it wouldn't hurt to speak. "I traveled here because Unari Sedai said so, said I could learn and so had a duty to serve. I guess I'm used to that, and I'm used to doing as I'm told, so that seemed natural enough. I suppose I was thinking you'd just put me to work. I didn't really think as how I'd have a choice. But... what is there to go back to? Lady Zilna would never forgive me for being able to learn and her not. I know work as a lady's maid, but I'm not pretty enough to be a really highly placed one, so I couldn't get a well-paying job. I suppose I could find some small low house and settle in, maybe marry a stable boy and have babies, but I don't much like children. But those are all selfish reasons."

Girt chewed her lip, looking down and to one side. "If I can learn this, and it's useful... Aes Sedai can't lie, and Unari Sedai said it was important, so it must be. I never really thought I'd ever be important. I suppose if this needs doing, it's my responsibility to see it done, isn't it? Aes Sedai make the world a better place, and that means more Aes Sedai make it better still..."

She looked up at Valeri. "I know I'm not smart, but it seems like this is the right thing to do. If it's worse than the life I've already led, well, I guess I can get used to that, but you did say there were free days sometimes, and if I don't have to buy my own dresses or bleach, that'll save me money. Um, not that I have any left now, anyway. Since you said there's other common folk, I'll wager you pay enough for us to tend to our room and board, and our other necessaries. Though I WOULD like enough of an advance to visit the kitchens today, if it please the Aes Sedai."

Girt glanced at the purse on the desk, frowning, then back up at Valeri. "So that's three, isn't it? The selfish, the selfless, the pragmatic. Da always told me to look for three reasons before making a big decision, and that's three. Easy to find plenty of reasons not to, but the only really troublesome one is that I might do ill with the power, and I figure that that one's on me to be careful. I found I MIGHT do ill with any number of things, and it's my most important job not to, because It's RIGHT not to. So I won't." She swallowed, then continued. "Easier just to not learn, so I don't need to be so careful, but that also ignores the responsibility. Okay. I'm sorry for chattering so long, and I won't question if you beat me for it, but I'd like to become an Aes Sedai, please."

Girt sat back, calm, resolute, and finally, blessedly quiet, watching the other woman levelly, her composure spoiled by a loud grumbling from her belly. Her eyes widened, and she clapped her hands to her belly, cheeks turning red.