DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Doctor Who Series 8

SinisterDeath

I kind of like grumpy Scottish Doctor. :D After the goofiness of Eleven, it's a welcome change. Don't get me wrong - I liked Matt Smith week enough, and there were a lot of very serious episodes, but he always seemed a little off to me. Like he was in transition, if that makes sense.

To be honest, I've been looking forward too Capaldi since they announced him, because I've seen other things he's done.

I think they oversold the gloomy/dark/grumpy doctor, he seems to only have brief moments of that. Seems a lot more like the light-hearted happy go lucky doctor. A little disappointed.

I definitely wouldn't call him happy go lucky at all, I thought he generally always seems a bit grumpy. Really enjoying the season so far because they are finally giving Clara decent writing. Listen was a really good episode.

I agree that he's not Matt Smith levels of happy go lucky... I don't know not quite what I imagined, I'm enjoying the season overall... but his demeanor isn't quite what I thought it was going to be. I really liked the latest episode.

I'm liking the new doctor, I think his demeanor is right where it should be in terms of the over all story.

Listen was a good episode, back on track for the series, I think the robin hood one should have been switched, its one of those happy go lucky throw away episodes that are fun to watch, but would have been better say, after listen, so he is more cemented in the role of the doctor.

they could have asked a fourth grade science teacher what happens if the moon disappears.

I also didn't appreciate the political subtext on not harming the innocent life to save the earth. I don't need to know the doctors views on the right to life movement.

no way earth survives in this universe if the moon flies away, reaches sexual maturity, successfully breeds (???) and lays itself as an identical egg in the identical location. with the same earth moon bunny face and all.

really disliked this epi.

• Community Administrator

they could have asked a fourth grade science teacher what happens if the moon disappears.

I also didn't appreciate the political subtext on not harming the innocent life to save the earth. I don't need to know the doctors views on the right to life movement.

no way earth survives in this universe if the moon flies away, reaches sexual maturity, successfully breeds (???) and lays itself as an identical egg in the identical location. with the same earth moon bunny face and all.

Is that something big going on in the UK? 

I didn't look to 'deep' into that episode. Wasn't worth the extra thought really.

I didn't look to 'deep' into that episode. Wasn't worth the extra thought really.

No its not. I dont think it was a political subtext at all, its an age old philosophical question, is it right to sacrifice. one life to save the many. I didnt really pick up on any anti abortion message.

Edit; After a little think on it i can see how it could be perceived that way, but i dont think it was intended. I hope not anyway.

Edit again: just spotted my mistake there. Sacrilege? Freudian slip, or predictive laziness?

• Community Administrator

No its not. I dont think it was a political subtext at all, its an age old philosophical question, is it right to sacrilege one life to save the many. I didnt really pick up on any anti abortion message.

Edit; After a little think on it i can see how it could be perceived that way, but i dont think it was intended. I hope not anyway.

I saw it similar I guess... in the same vein as the bank-heist episode. (saving a species that is one of a kind...)

That said... I'm not sure if they've mentioned it before or not. But part of what we 'saw' in this episode is the doctors 'memory' of 'time', definitely is 'changing' as the events flow on. Him leaving the situation to let Clara decide.. You could argue that he 'saw' her choice as she made it, even when he wasn't there...

Given the past few episodes... I think that plot device is going to factor in heavily with this 'paradise' situation.

No its not. I dont think it was a political subtext at all, its an age old philosophical question, is it right to sacrilege one life to save the many. I didnt really pick up on any anti abortion message.

I saw it similar I guess... in the same vein as the bank-heist episode. (saving a species that is one of a kind...)

That said... I'm not sure if they've mentioned it before or not. But part of what we 'saw' in this episode is the doctors 'memory' of 'time', definitely is 'changing' as the events flow on. Him leaving the situation to let Clara decide.. You could argue that he 'saw' her choice as she made it, even when he wasn't there...

Given the past few episodes... I think that plot device is going to factor in heavily with this 'paradise' situation.

I really dont know, at the moment i cant get any feel for the "paradise" situation, one thing i would point out though, it wasnt really Clara' decision to make, i assume the astronaut had the authority of the leaders of earth, so the Doctor wasnt really leaving it to Clara, whether he knew she would step in or not, *shug*

Sorry if that seems like nit picking.

I really dont know, at the moment i cant get any feel for the "paradise" situation, one thing i would point out though, it wasnt really Clara' decision to make, i assume the astronaut had the authority of the leaders of earth, so the Doctor wasnt really leaving it to Clara, whether he knew she would step in or not, *shug*

Sorry if that seems like nit picking.

Given the information available to Clara, she made the wrong decision. Yes, it ended up being right, but not due to the information she had, she just got lucky, after ignoring the wishes of billions of people to make a decision that wasn't hers to make, and putting the lives of everyone on earth at risk. That's arrogant and grossly irresponsible. What if the fragments of the moon hadn't burnt up in the atmosphere? All Clara could say was "It's made of eggshell", which is hardly a compelling argument. An egg the size of the moon would have to be strong to hold together, and she really had no reason to believe all the mass would burn up. Chicken eggs don't have to withstand impacts from giant rocks floating through space, the moon-egg does. So what is it made of, can it survive re-entry, what would the impact be if any did make it to the ground? All valid questions, and none of them questions that we have the slightest reason to assume this English teacher can adequately answer. What if the egg had been laid next to the Earth to use it as a food source? The idea that it could be an exo-parasite is mentioned in the episode. All the potential risks and dangers are brushed under the carpet. Also, the idea that this creature is one of a kind isn't really presented with any kind of backing - it's just something new to the Doctor.

Archived