DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

It's official. Notch sold Mojang for $2.5B

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator

For the uninitiated (like me before I read the articles) Mojang is the company behind Minecraft and Notch is the guy behind Mojang.

Well, if you want to get technical, Notch is behind Minecraft. He created the company Mojang after Minecraft made its first $1M. He Basically created Mojang for the continued development of Minecraft, and so he could go on and work on other projects.

• 1 month later...

i understand and respect Notch for what he did and applaud him on finally being able to cut the ties to Minecraft since thats what he's been wanting after the Beta version went viral

but did it HAVE to be microsoft he sold it too  *whines*

i understand and respect Notch for what he did and applaud him on finally being able to cut the ties to Minecraft since thats what he's been wanting after the Beta version went viral

They were probably the first one that offered him the right sum of money. lol

They were probably the first one that offered him the right sum of money. lol

that or because of 4J studios <_<

#idetestemicrosoft  #RIPminecraft  #thisiswhywecanthavenicethings

http://www.4jstudios.com/

they produce and up keep the Console version of Minecraft and are heavily affiliated with microsoft.

oooh.

I never touched the console versions. (wth would I play a non-modded minecraft?!)

I just assumed Microsoft handled all of that stuffs already.

There was talk of a M$ making a Minecraft 2... which isn't as an -end-of-the-world idea really... It would allow for something minecrafts needed for a while.. a new-optimized game engine that's not java based.. (and better integrates 64bit memory natively, and quad+ core cpus/hyperthreading, and of course GPU's or even APUs.. This could make console versions operate even better.

o.0  can you say that in laymens terms??

xD

Java is what your browser uses. (and your android/iphone to) 

It's a platform that became increasingly popular/easy to program with across many platforms (particularilly mobile applications)

But its far from perfect. It's known for having memory leaks.  (Memory  = Ram)

It tends to waste your cpu & gpu's (gpu = video card. APU = a CPU that's also a gpu.) power on trivial things..

Short version: The games engine is bad for video games.

Making a Sequel (Minecraft 2) Allows you to use a better more efficient engine. And you can't simply patch in a new engine for an existing game... It can be done. It's just cheaper to make a new game.

Archived