DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[September Regimental Book Discussion] It's all in the details

Tyler Glembo

It is now September and time for The Infantry to host The Band's monthly book discussion.  Material from all books, including AMoL, may be used, however please remember that some members may not have read the final book yet, so spoiler where appropriate. 

Participation in the thread earns points.  To earn points you must be an active participant and you must post original thoughts, e.g. something more than "Yes, I agree."

As always, the topic relates to the BotRH from content shown in or relating to the Wheel of Time books.  This month, the Infantry will be hosting a discussion on the missing details surrounding Matrim Cauthon. 

TOPIC

What missing details of Matrim's life would you most like to know about (both during and post series)?  Feel free to include his memories from others' lives if you'd like.

What do you, in your mind, pretend those missing details are?  As in, please tell us your theories, thoughts, and musings on any gaps.

BONUS DISCUSSION

Apply the above to other characters.  Rand, Moiraine, Birgitte, Alviarin, etc etc.

Im REALLY curious about his future with Tuon. Am SOOOOO sad that mini series wont be written.

for the past   that bit where he was looking at the Dancers and remembering Cor Mander??   Id be interested in his memories of the different countries but not JUST the battles

i havent really thought about imagining the gaps.....

For the others  I want to know what Manetheren was like.    OH thats the other thing. I want an answer to how if past lives counmted Mat would rule us all or whatever it was moraine said

One of the most interesting things to me, that I always wanted more info on, was timelines.  How old were the oldest memories?  Is it possible that the oldest memories were not from earlier in the age, but rather, from the last turning of the wheel for this age? 

I like to think of vivid memories as things that really stick out and cannot be forgotten, and that a few of Mat's memories persist through each turning of the wheel, time and time again.

I believe that this was one of the outrigger books which was planned yet never came to fruition, due to a lack of material and Brandon not wanting to write something completely new which is not based on the original notes, in Jordan's world.

Being one of my favorite characters I would like to know more of what happens to Matt and if Rand, in his new body, ever crosses paths with him as well as if Matt recognises him for who he really is. I also wonder if Mat still has his luck since the others Taveren natures seemed to fade from them after the dark one was imprisoned again.

Probaby like everyone else, I really want to see if him and Tuon go back to Seanchan and what they do there.

I'd alsol like to see him, Rand, and Perrin all meet back up - that was my dream ending for the series, but sadly it never happened. Like Nikon, I'm curious how he'd react to Rand.

I'm with dice (and everyone) on this... I want to know how he does in Seanchan. Since I am guessing his demeanor will shockingly be a benefit in politics there (and kind of funny as he tries not to play their political game), my main intrigue is in both his role in Seanchan policy, and how/if he is able to change Tuon-- I am curious to know how he handles the balance between respect for life and Seanchan inhumane treatment of channelers, and if the cleansing will eventually play into anything on those lines.

• 2 weeks later...

In your mind, what would his reaction be?

If Mat saw Rand in his new body, and recognised who it originally belonged to, I think he would capture or attack Rand. With Rand's new power of being able to bend the pattern to his will I believe he would probably subdue Mat then either leave, not wanting even Mat to know his true identity, or explain things before releasing him.  Either way I'm sure the exchange would be great to read.

other things i wanted to see

what was in verins letter. (did we see that or not? cant remember)

who is Nakomi

Rands apology to Hurin'

also a bit of story where Ogier meat Gardners

THESE FOUR.... YES!!! I am going to guess that Verin's Letter and Nakomi will be covered in the WoT Companion.

I want  to see pretty much everything people have said here, plus:

I want to see Malkier rise again, I want to know if the Kin and the Aes Sedai were formed according to Elayne's idea (I think they would because Cadsuane is intelligent), I also wouldn't mind some stories about Verin as an undercover Aes Sedai, that would be very cool.

any predictions for the Amrylin after Cadsuane??

i think nynaeve myself....

I think Cadsuane might end up choosing Nyneave as here keeper... but Nyneave might refuse... you know, to go live with Lan in Malkier. 

Archived