DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah Travel Event- Travel Preparations

wheeloftime13

If anybody has ever traveled before (including a move), then you know that it is best and impossible not to prepare for your travel. Do you do anything specific to prepare for your travel, such as finding a pet sitter, laying out all your clothes, buying new clothes, etc?

We needed to check out the security rules for what we can take on the plane and what can go in the carry-on and passports. We copied our passports and put the copies in the luggage.

I had a member of our tour get $500 and her passport stolen on the plane.

on the plane - that's aweful Ryrin! was she able to go though the security and stuff to leave the airport?

There is always the frantic last minute packing in our house - when most of it is done but at the last minute we decided to change a few of the things we are taking and have to have a bit of a re-pack.

And I tend to do more than normal amounts of washing before hand, to make sure everything we want to take is clean

You don't even want to see my living room when I prepare a pack for hiking. SCA camping is also a mad dash for freedom and an offense to order and sanity. There's armor and weapons everywhere, the cats are wearing strips of duct tape, and I have to drag the canvas tent out of the garage and wrestle it into the car and... Bluh.

Even leaving the house in the morning is a spectacle.

If you're travelling by air, always pack a change of clothing (including underwear!) and the most necessary stuff in your hand luggage.

Also, a tip I received from a pilot: if you have anything that's in a tube or a bottle, open it and squeeze it a bit and then close quickly. That lets some air out and leaves some space for it to inflate due to the difference in air pressure up high, or some such thing. Anyway, it prevents your shampoo from exploding in your luggage :P

If travelling by road/train: always take a bottle of water for drinking and washing hands etc, and something to use as a cloth.

oh that's a good tip about the bottle, I wouldn't have thought of it but my shampoo makes a mess every time.

here's a very slightly naughty one but not really. steal all the little hotel soaps and things you can bc the travel size stuff you buy us silly expensive.

here's one from my uncle who was in the navy - roll up your clothes instead of folding. for some reason you can fit more in your bags plus they're not as wrinkly. plus you can roll them around stuff to keep things from breaking.

on the plane - that's aweful Ryrin! was she able to go though the security and stuff to leave the airport?

There is always the frantic last minute packing in our house - when most of it is done but at the last minute we decided to change a few of the things we are taking and have to have a bit of a re-pack.

And I tend to do more than normal amounts of washing before hand, to make sure everything we want to take is clean

Yeah, she was as she had a photocopy of her passport in her luggage but later she and her husband went to the American Embassy in Israel.

I too do lots of laundry before we go. Another thing is I take at least one day off of work before we leave and when I get back too if it's a long trip. I'm a couple of hours from LAX so we spent the night in the hotel before we left. I want to be well rested and not stressed. We put the car in long term parking and took the hotel shuttle bus to the airport. We also met fellow travelers for a nice dinner the night before.

If you're travelling by air, always pack a change of clothing (including underwear!) and the most necessary stuff in your hand luggage.

Also, a tip I received from a pilot: if you have anything that's in a tube or a bottle, open it and squeeze it a bit and then close quickly. That lets some air out and leaves some space for it to inflate due to the difference in air pressure up high, or some such thing. Anyway, it prevents your shampoo from exploding in your luggage :P

If travelling by road/train: always take a bottle of water for drinking and washing hands etc, and something to use as a cloth.

Good advice. I put my stuff like shampoo in plastic sealed bags. When driving over the mountains (especially in the winter) we pack zero rated sleeping bags, lots of water and food.

It came in handy when we were about 6,000 feet (1,828 meters) and they closed the road behind us and in front of us. It was snowing.

I used to be super-organized when it came to traveling or preparing for out-of-town horse shows.  I had a checklist for horse shows because I wasn't just packing for myself, I was also packing for my horse!

Now, I just try to make sure I'm packed the night before. I'm often up late due to having to get some last-minute laundry done.

I have to go to Charleston next week and have so much sorting of laundry to do that I quail at the thought.  We've run way behind with everything that has been going on lately (school starting, hubby getting t-boned, having to replace our totaled van, youngest being sick, etc.)

Fortunately, I don't have to pack dressy-professional for this trip as I'll be working in an industrial environment (jeans, t-shirts, safety shoes) but I will take some casual dressy clothes for meeting friends for dinner on Wed and Thurs night.  :smile:

I have a problem with lists and I am also a terrible "well, what if..." person. So inevitably over pack. Even when i am just goin up to the cabin for man week end. I list everything I'll need, what gets packed with what, when I can pack it, what will need to be washed. Then, I also have my emergency kit should I get stranded somewhere. It's pretty ludicrous. lol.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived