DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah Travel Event - Moving

Zashara

Welcome to the Brown Ajah Travel Event!

Sometimes traveling results in a permanent change of residence. While moving can be intimidating sometimes, it can also be rewarding.

I've moved around quite a bit. Some short moves (different parts of the same city), some long ones (different countries). This resulted in me never going to school in one place for more than 3 years, unless you want to count university, which would make it 4. Mostly, I moved around because of my dad's job, but more recently it's been for my education.

So, to get this discussion started, I'd like to throw some questions out there. Feel free to add any of your own.

How many times have you moved? For what reasons (if you want to share)?

What was your favorite part of moving? Least favorite?

Do you have any advice for people who are moving?

I didn't move out of the area until I was 36.  I was torn between staying in my city or experiencing something new.  My choice was taken from me when my husband got a job out of the area.  I have moved once since then, 12 years ago to where I live now, again his employment.  I'm very happy here.

I hate moving.  The packing, the cleaning, getting kids enrolled in school, getting animals used to their new home and unpacking.  Yuk.

Advice:  Stay organized at all times.

oh boy. lol. Moving? I have become numb to the trials of moving. lol There was a time span of my life from about ten years old to about 25 where i didn't live in an apartment for more than 2 years at a time. Seems like every time we got settled we had to go again for some reason or another. I wish it was for something cool like witness protection or my parents were secretly spies but no. Usually just due to financials or parents getting new jobs, bad neighbors, banks foreclosing and the land lord POCKETING RENT FOR 6 MONTHS AND NOT INFORMING THE TENANTS THE BANK WAS TAKING THE HOUSE!! *end rant*

Moving has been a bit of a personal discovery for me. I.......am a masochist. I ENJOY moving. Maybe I was a dragon in a past life because of how I love my little treasures and how much of a sentimental hoarder I am. Packing and unpacking and rediscovering the shite I wasted money on from years and years ago, old books, nostalgia. I like hopping into the 'way-back-machine' from time to time. I also enjoy the work out of a full day of movin boxes, stairs, furniture. The beer and Pizza after. It's rarely an event where we don't have help from friends and family so it's usually a lot of laughs, arguments, injuries (as I have not moved/helped someone move yet that there was not an injury), team work. Just a good time. And i feel great after! Sore as all hell but I just love a good sweat and work out...................and yet can't get myself to the gym......hmm....... It's a good opportunity to organize, audit and clean. Have a yard sale of all the stuff you no longer need. (repeat beer and pizza with rewards) and doante a bunch of stuff to Goodwill.

- If you are asking people to help you move, for the love of god and everything that is holy, PLEASE have everything packed. I have helped my sister move a number of times. She is borderline "Hoarders" television series. She DOES NOT know how to pack. Moving her is a pack'n'move nightmare.

- don't over stuff. Since I have had my cosey office services job I have been stealing paper boxes and re-boxing things. Large enough to hold a good amount of stuff (11 x 17 x 15) but not so large as you're goin to pack a ridiculous amount of stuff into and break someone's back.

- try to be organized but don't worry about it too much. If you're havin a bunch of people help out, every move turns into a game of jenga in the moving truck and half way through you don't care what the box says or where it goes you just want it MOVED. lol Besides that, you're goin to be movin and shiftin things around for a good month once you're in your new digs anyway.

- DON'T MOVE IN THE BLOODY WINTER!

- Beer and Pizza is the ONLY payment option for moving

- plan out how you're going to move. i.e. what doors/railings/windows need to be removed so you have everything you need right at hand. 

- appliances get loaded last and moved in first. Because appliances are awful. 

- always load TVs and electronics in your car. Don't trust those savages with those!

- ***!!!PEOPLE SUCK!!!*** Trust no one. Go through your things prior to moving. Pre-pack and secure ANY AND ALL valuables. Hold them somewhere until after the move and then move them in. It's a win/win this. No chance of something getting lost/broke/stolen and accusations bein thrown around. Protect yourself and your relationships. 

- beer and pizza

I think that about covers anything I have experienced. Good Luck!...............and remember. Beer      and          Pizza. You're goin to need it. lol

after every move i vow never again unless i can pay someone to do it for me.

and then i get an estimate ....

i'm still not physically recovered from the last move but i'm already deep into a wish list for the next one.

the first time i remember was when mom and i moved back in with grandma when i was about 3 or 4 because we'd walked in on a burglary in our apartment.  brooklyn to brooklyn..

we stayed with grandma until we moved in for a little while with mom's fiance, and then moved again from his place on staten island to a really cool sublet on the upper east side of manhattan,  best place ever.  2500 sq feet, 1K a month, wood floors, my own suite.  noice.

this was when i was moving to binghamton, ny for college, still going back and forth.

after college i moved in briefly and miserably with a bad man.

as soon as i could get away i moved in with my best friends from college, and from life, and stayed with them either in their home or renting their garage apartment as we moved back and forth over the PA/NY border.  the last place in PA i was in from just after 9/11/01 to late march this year.

and then i moved up to buffalo and found a place with my Basel :happy:

when we recover from his move, lol, we'll look for a better place and possibly transfer back to be near the friends i left, and within driving distance of my family, and his.  it'll take a couple years :smile:

favorite part is being all settled in which can take a long time.

least favorite part is the work.  ouch.

get lots of help (beer only after the TV is moved), and do lots of research.

get someone else to move the cats. srsly.

This move I did with Cindy was my only permanent move, not counting dorm rooms. The best part of this one was finally having a place to call our own, when we signed the lease. The worst part was the work. That and the picking up of the keys, when the management of this complex failed to tell us in advance we both had to be there to sign papers before they would hand the keys over.

So Cindy dropped me off at work from my folks' house, then headed to get the keys. Two hours later, she had to pick me up on my break because I had no clue I had to arrange to be off at that time of day.

One bit of advice is that it is never too early to start packing stuff up, and sorting what to keep and what to trash. It won't seem like there is that much till you begin, and then it will never seem to end until you have just a few days to go before the move and you're nowhere near ready.

Soo, I'll actually answer my own questions now. :P

Something like 15ish times. I don't even want to count again. -.-

Up until I was 17, I moved because of my dad's job. After that it was for school for me. I was born in the states and moving took me all the way to Qatar (yay oil company paying for my college education). 

My favorite part has always been settling into a new place, especially when we are moving to a new city. Settling in to the culture and going to all the new places is awesome.

Having to start all over. Make new friends, find new places to eat, etc. FINDING A PLACE TO LIVE. UGHHHH. Packing/unpacking doesn't phase me much now, but it's the stuff surrounding it.

On the packing front, I'm sure everyone else has you covered. I haven't done a lot of that. For the big moves we had people the company sent to pack everything for us. That was sweet.

The major advice I have is with regards to finding a new place. House/apartment hunting is a pain, but remember to find a place that can fit your stuff or be prepared to get rid of stuff. My current place doesn't quite fit my couches and it's a bit crowded in here. It's super annoying, but since I know we'll only be here for a couple more years, I'm okay with it. But, for bigger moves, that's really important.

• 3 weeks later...

1.) From Ann Arbor, Michigan to Pueblo, Colorado - I was two years old and dad had received a transfer from NOAA.

2.) From the inner city to a rural-ish subdivision - I was fourteen or so.

3.) From Pueblo to Northern Colorado. I consider this one big move. I lived in Fort Collins for a few years and relocated to Greeley (20 minutes away) for college and I worked in a small town called Berthoud.

4.) Back from Greeley to Pueblo. The economy went bonkers, I lost my job at the machine job and nobody was willing to hire college students, so I drove down for the weekend and got my old job at the newspaper for a few months.

5.) I don't even want to talk about this last move. Let's just say I will never have another roommate again.

I most enjoy the opportunity to learn and discover not just a new town but the surrounding areas. I spend a lot of time driving on back highways and county roads whenever I learn about an area. I enjoy finding new restaurants and discovering the ways people spend their lives.

What do I dislike about moving? Losing your support network.

Don't do it lightly. Plan it out.

i miss my friends terribly and I miss people I never even thought of as support like my doctors and the vets and the coworkers who I'd come to really be close to and rely on and who relied on me. the garden at my old place didn't grow this year and my best friend says she still looks for my car in the drive every night. we're going to visit soon and I hope someday we can resettle there but it's a new time now and a new life.

moving is more than just hard work. it changes everything

but it's the only way to start a new life.

If there's someone you love at the end of the journey, absolutely. And I can think of a lot of other reasons why people would move and begin a new life but mine wasn't on that list. I did it because I felt that I had to and I made it happen as quickly as possible without getting to know the circumstance I'd be moving into.

What are some good reasons for moving? What are some bad ones (i.e., did you regret it later?)

For love :smile:

For independence like school. To learn to do it.

To get away from Cossacks.

To find a better life but not in a just more money way but in ... Our great grands came here to give us room to live and freedom from fear and that was a good reason.

I'd have followed my friends before I married and now I'd go anywhere with my husband because we're a family.

Moving for health or open skies or an ocean... These seem good to me.

If I'd left just for the job, even for a promotion, I'd have bumped right back cause apparently I'm not just working for the money.

It's hard to say tho Bc that's an important and difficult thing to learn. And maybe you have to do it to

Learn it.

My little bro moved to Alaska to have adventure and be free and wild and he was. He's recovered well enough but I don't know if he regrets it or not.

For a long time I regretted going away to school and missed new York and my home but it was gone and I got very rooted in s couple decades.

In an alternate timeline all went differently. I'm not sure how it worked out.

Regrets may be temporary. Im not sure.

What about you ?

The best one is "To find a better life but not in a just more money way but in ... Our great grands came here to give us room to live and freedom from fear and that was a good reason." My family doesn't really know the circumstances that brought our great oldies over here but it had to be important.

- Love.

- School.

- To keep it interesting.

- To strike out and see what's out there.

- To learn in ways that aren't academic.

- To get away from the city. I can drive fifteen minutes in any direction and be outside of city limits. In larger cities like Denver, it makes me close to a half hour just to pass through the entire mess.

My sister is in China right now teaching English and I have another who routinely goes on aid missions. Those would be good reasons to uproot.

I know Travel Week is over but I missed this so . . .

Stygler Rd to Doney St (there was one before that but I don't remember it).

Doney St to Bundenbach.

Bundenbach to Sohren

Sohren to Hahn AFB

Hahn AFB to Rapid City, SD

Rapid City to Montgomery, AL

Montgomery, AL to Panama City, FL

In Panama City from my parent's house to room with a friend then boarded with another (both me and my horse)

Panama City to Auburn, AL to Panama City to Auburn to Panama City to Auburn (I was a co-op student). I've lost track of how many times I went back and forth! LOL!

After graduation, Auburn to Panama City (McKenzie Ave).

Then McKenzie Ave to our new house in 2008

The PC to Auburn moves weren't bad because I didn't move everything I owned, just what I'd need for college.  Favorite part of moving was moving into my new house. Everything was clean and pristine and pretty and sparkly.  After 6 years it needs love (my boys were hard on the walls and paint).  Anyway, moving is good because it helps you clean up and clear out a bunch of stuff you don't need.  Not that I enjoy that aspect but downsizing is good. Least favorite is unpacking.

Plan, plan, plan.  Make sure you have plenty of boxes and if it's important to you, pack it yourself! 

Label your boxes so you know which to which room the contents belong!

Use towels and linens to pack your breakable dishes; they're better than newspaper!  Pillowcases and washclothes fit nicely inside glasses and/or mugs.  Plates stack neatly wrapped in towels (set towel down, place plate, fold towel over, place plate, fold towel over, place plate, etc.).  Sheets also make excellent dunnage for breakables.

And if you have a fish, consider removing it's hidey-hole decorations from the tank.  We killed my son's goldfish because he got trapped under his too-small "cave" during the drive to the new house and drowned.  :sad:

Good reasons for moving?  For us, it was to get out of our old neighborhood (McKenze Ave).  Drug activity, shootings, break-ins, etc.  We're now out in a rural area with no close neighbors. Granted, that can be a disadvantage, as well, but overall we like living there.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived