DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah Travel Event - do you like to travel or would you rather burrow in at home?

Mrs. Cindy Gill

welcome to the BATE!

This question has come up for me with the last couple of travel events... and with just about every trip I've ever taken.

I know the Brown Party Position on travel is.... travel good, lets take a road trip.

But as much as I've enjoyed some of the trips I've taken... some very much... I would never, of my own volition, decide to go on a trip for the sake of traveling.

given my druthers... I'd snuggle up in bed and spend all my time off right here, safe, and comfy.

my husband is a traveler, and has been more places than I can keep track of. and he enjoys this activity of leaving the familiar and setting out on the road. he enjoys it so much he even makes me enjoy it :smile:

so I pose these questions to try to understand you all, and myself, a bit better.

Do you enjoy travel for its own sake?

If so, what makes it joyous for you?

Do you enjoy travel with a goal or is it the journey you seek?

Or would you rather stock the larder, bar the doors, and sprawl in the privacy of your own cave?

if so... what makes you choose the stillness over the motion, the sameness over the change?

I honestly both love traveling and staying at home. Traveling is always fun because I get to see lots of amazing places and get away from everyday life, but you really don't get much reading time when traveling, and I love my bedroom (since it's practically a library.)

Do you enjoy travel for its own sake? Yes

If so, what makes it joyous for you? Well I'm a history major so I like visiting new places and seeing new cultures and having a new understanding of the world. I find that people who stay within there own confines aren't as open minded as those of us who travel. 

Do you enjoy travel with a goal or is it the journey you seek? Journey. 

Or would you rather stock the larder, bar the doors, and sprawl in the privacy of your own cave?
Nah the only thing I don't like about travel is the plane ride. I'm terrified of planes. 

if so... what makes you choose the stillness over the motion, the sameness over the change? 

i guess so, becuse i travel at times without needin to actually be anywhere because i want to and i generaly dont do things i dont enjoy by my on will

i like seeing new things and meeting new beings

when ive gone somewhere far way from home, i guess my goal was to go far away friom home; otherwise, dont have any goals when i go traveling. i just want to experience things

i dont like staying in my house, the house is just a place to be when needd a safe place to rest and to store my crap in and onlly sometimes do dumb stuff in, like go on the internet or play video game, not somthing to live in lots. however, i like being in the same area, out in the country withh same woods and hills and towns nearby and everything, which is my home. when all is said and done, i wold much rathre be at home (and again, the area, not a house) any day than somewhere else, unless that somwhere else somehow felt more like a home to me but then in that case i woulld still want to be home by going there. 

i like that all my life the area hasnt channged too drastically. even when other peoplle are changing, family is still the same at least. and i feel like when the rest of the worlld finaly falls apart this will be one of the safer places to be, because most peoplle dont remember it and its quiet and out of thhe way. i like that it is still beautiful even when lots of othre places get more and more ugly. i like that i can rely on the land and the people because we aer all atached to that area and have a history, which cant get when things are constantlly overturned like in othre places or if i was deliberatelly overturning myself by going tons of different places all the time and never stopping.

Do you enjoy travel for its own sake? I enjoy all of it. planning the trip. Packing. The actual travel (altough it can sometimes be a pain, but frequently the funniest stories come out of the travel). But the best part is the actual destination. Seeing what you travelled to see and enjoying that experience.

If so, what makes it joyous for you? The break from the norm. even normal things in new places can be exciting.

Do you enjoy travel with a goal or is it the journey you seek? I generally have a goal. Even if said goal is just to traipse about somewhere and see new things because it looks like it would be fun or interesting or informative.

Or would you rather stock the larder, bar the doors, and sprawl in the privacy of your own cave? Sometimes I crave the quiet but I need to make sure that it is truly the active seeking of quiet and not just being lazy about going because it can be a hassle.

if so... what makes you choose the stillness over the motion, the sameness over the change? Sometimes it is just good to Be. Totally veg out either reading or watching silly movies/TV or playing video games by yourself. Or even just letting yourself wander in random thought.

Do you enjoy travel for its own sake? Yes. I like to travel and see new things. I like to see things for real that you normally only see on the telly or in pictures. I like the plain trips and even the plane food - cos it's all part of the trip. That being said I'm not what I would consider a traveller. My sister in law is a traveller. She will immerse herself in everything and just let go and experience everything. I can't do that as I'd feel a bit anxious and out of my comfort zone. So I'm definitely a tourist.

If so, what makes it joyous for you? To be able to turn around and be surrounded by something new. Something amazing. And to share that with people who are feeling the same. To not be at work and to just be able to relax and enjoy myself. To be able to stop and wait for a moment before life drags you on again.

Do you enjoy travel with a goal or is it the journey you seek? I'm usually travelling somewhere for a reason - hence I feel I'm more of a tourist. Getting from A to B is one of the more stressful parts for me as I worry about luggage getting lost, being late, missing things, getting confused and out of my depth, losing other stuff - you get the picture. But once I'm there I can just be happy. I like messing about learning a bit of the language too. I always try and make an effort and I really enjoy it.

Or would you rather stock the larder, bar the doors, and sprawl in the privacy of your own cave? Sometimes yes. And when I look at my future it's a journey in itself and I cant wait to close the doors of my own home and be able to breathe out. I do like to be quiet and have time. But I'm still often thinking about where I'd like to go see next. I've got the next few year's trips and holidays all planned out already. Mostly because I can't just go on holidays or trips whenever I like and things really do have to be planned that far in advance.

if so... what makes you choose the stillness over the motion, the sameness over the change? Money. Time. Availability - I'd be happy having longer trips away if I could and then have those still moments on them. Maybe that will change once I find a home. Then again once I have actual free time to myself maybe I'll start being more independent and go on mini trips to places. There's still and awful lot I'd like to see. There's one place I've wanted to see since I was 11. I'm thinking I'll get that sorted.

I have no idea. Not really traveled sadly. I would like to though. Well, not abroad at least. I like to go out to my friend's cabins and trailers when i can.

The only places i have gone to are cabins and trailers. I like to get out of the city. All the places I go to are dead zones too so I am completely removed. Also. Food. I want to eat my way across the globe. I think i have watched too many Travel Channel food shows. 

I would like to think I would go for a mix of both. For instance, if i were to go to Ireland. Eventually I would like to see the Cliffs of Moher and the GPO of the Easter Rising in 1916 and Scoil Eanna. How I get there or when i don't know. Just kinda mosey around to some pubs and parks and gradually make my way to these places.

This is one of my fav things to do now. lol Order a crap load of Chinese delivery and watch terrible TV.

I travel about 1,500 miles a week for work. It's nice to be able to sit down and drink a beer.

i love all these answers but this one was my favorite.

thats a lot of driving.  as little as i do, ya, i feel the same.  except not beer so much.

ok so ....

rarely, but i have.  as a child, when i had no responsibility for the navigation or arrangements, it was fun to ride in the car, look out the window, settle into a cabin or just get into ocean with or without a boat.  not worry.

nowadays it's the joy it gives others, and the joy of seeing family i rarely see.  

as an adult there has to be a goal for me or i woudnt go.

Or would you rather stock the larder, bar the doors, and sprawl in the

privacy of your own cave?

Basel.... we need a cave.

the answer is in the question.  i love stillness and sameness, though when something wonderful presents itself, or someone wonderful is far away.... i will most definitely seek the motion and the change.  and then i'll snuggle up and settle down and make a new happy place :smile:

Do you enjoy travel for its own sake? If so, what makes it joyous for you?

Yes! I love going to a new place and learning the history and culture, seeing the sights, eating the food, doing all of the things. It's amazing. It's a change of pace from the daily grind, and since I usually travel with family/friends it's even more awesome.

Simply the journey. My goal is to absorb as much as I can and have fun.

Or would you rather stock the larder, bar the doors, and sprawl in the privacy of your own cave? if so... what makes you choose the stillness over the motion, the sameness over the change?

Not really. I'd prefer to travel to the parents house and eat mom's cooking. :P

For those of you who love to travel, and those of you who don't -

. What do you do to make the traveling easier? The places you visit homelike? How do you make yourself feel comfortable and welcome among strangers?

.... And how do you deal with the kitties and puppies that can't come along?

That last one seems silly to read but it's a big worry to some .... :blush:

What do you do to make the traveling easier? The places you visit homelike? How do you make yourself feel comfortable and welcome among strangers?
i eithre travel to a place withuot much or any people or else travell to a place where i have at leastt one friend or its a friend of familly or friend of a friend. it pisses me off when people who arent from around here come here and make nuisannce of themselves so i dont want to be that person to somone else, which is why i try to have at least some "blessing" from th peoplle who live there by being a friend with one so i can fit in easier and the people take to liking me lot easier or feelin comfortable wit me at least. i make lot of use of mail and calling then to get introduce to people so that i know ill have some kind of welcome in that area before i go. 

usualy i ask a familly member to look after any cat or other animall living with me at the time. any cats never been much problem, always wander outside and can take care of itself when im not there, i just want th person to make sure that the cat knows my home is still a place it can have a home in by leavin food out and interacting a litle or letting it go inside if it wants when person is there. any cow or calf i have around always need more work, like makin sure pick up chips and groom and make sure didnt somehow escape and make sure rotate the pastures etc. generaly dont have any other animals around, least not ones that i keepp alive long before eating. my only living cat right now, which i like to call the travel cat, somtimes goes back and forth with me from up north to south or back, which is horible because he gets carsick so recently ive left him in one place or other alot so he doesnt have to get sick and relatives make sure hes ok

I enjoy both the journey and the destination.

Seeing new things, experiencing something other than the usual, learning new things. And if I'm traveling by air, that is just the best thing ever as far as I'm concerned. I get high on airports :P

That would depend. I could honestly do both, unless there's a specific reason that I want to go to a specific place.

I would much rather do that than go to work, the shops, or partying. Given the option to travel, I would rather do that. And by travel I mean in reasonable comfort. No hitch hiking or having to be squashed into a bus with a lot of smelly, noisy people.

See above.

Yes. I enjoy the anticipation and the arrival.

Experiencing difference.

Both.

I make time for that too. I enjoy hunkering down at home with meditation, a good book, music, tea or hot chocolate. Snuggling with doggies or playing with birds.

I don't choose. I make time for each. I need balance.

For those of you who love to travel, and those of you who don't -

. What do you do to make the traveling easier? The places you visit homelike? How do you make yourself feel comfortable and welcome among strangers?

I don't travel on my own.

With regards to making it easier, my boys have little dvd tvs in the car when we travel a long way. When we go on holiday they choose their toys and books and so on - but it's basically the same as me, we're together and so it feels like home.

I don't have any pets.

I do like traveling for it's own sake. Something about getting away from the ordinary and seeing things you either have never seen or haven't seen for a while... Then I also just enjoy car rides.

However, there can be a bit much traveling, and I do prefer to stay at home at times. Life is about balance :P

I think that probably says it best, Heart - life is all about balance. Or at least the quest for it lol.

I think I'll always be happier in a hobbit hole, and others love adventuring. And some people seem happy to stay or go.

Thanks to all who added their unique perspectives, and some good advie. Thanks to those who read along.

As always, you're most welcome to keep chatting :smile:

Until next time, this kitty's snuggling up in the blankets and taking a nap :happy:

Archived